Sydenham Girls School

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
jackieboo

Sydenham Girls School

Post by jackieboo »

Did anyone here go to Sydenham County Girls School in Dartmouth Road from 1969-74? I think it's just called Sydenham now.

I remember the smart uniforms and house system, and you and the whole school were in trouble if you were seen even eating in public with the uniform on - including pudding basin hats.There was hardly any trouble in those days. The headmistress then was Mrs Zackerwitch. I was in Yellow (Austen) House. Mini skirts were just finishing and maxi ones were just coming in so we didnt know what to wear. I used to get a 108b from Lower Syd up to Cobbs' then either a 122 or 12 to school - or walk depending on weather (I think we had free bus passes - brown card?).
Jules

Post by Jules »

Mrs Zackerwitch was still at Sydenham in 1985 which was about the time I left. We weren't allowed to wear mini skirts or make-up. The girls would fear her, as she demanded the upmost respect. Shame we don't have more of that in our schools today.