Summer fetes?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
jackieboo

Summer fetes?

Post by jackieboo »

Hi,

Anyone remember the great summer fetes in Home Park in the 70's? There were TV personalities (I remember Robin Nedwell from Doctor in the House) and it always seemed to be on a sunny day much looked forward to.

Happy memories.
lbere

Post by lbere »

Hi, Gosh, yes I do. I think that they were to raise funds for The Childrens Hospital that was across the road at the time.
jackieboo

Yes they were great!

Post by jackieboo »

There was a real feeling the whole area had come together - people did know their neighbours then (even though the mortgage rate was about 9% at the time LOL).

One of my sisters was "Queen of the Park" on one of the fete days - don't know if there would be photos in existence?

Also there was no barbed wire round the library and I helped put the adventure playground together. The playground was always packed - innocent days. We used to go to the park at all times without any problems on our own. No mobiles, not even a house phone!

I used to cycle around on my own too even on the main road - especially around Cator Pk Rd area at the other end of Kent Hse Rd.

We were friends with a family who lived in a house in Kent House Rd - the house is gone now and there are new Retirement? homes there I think. Apparently their house more or less fell down when new residents tried to get rid of an ancient oak tree!. The garden was long and beautiful- more like an orchard leading down to the allotments.
Jules

Post by Jules »

I don't remember any particular fete.
But do remember when Sydenham used to have a type of carnival with floats and stuff. I think it centered around Wells Park. That would have been int the 80's.