old photos of kirkdale junc thorpewood avenue....anyone?

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
sherlomi

old photos of kirkdale junc thorpewood avenue....anyone?

Post by sherlomi »

Does anyone have any old photos of Kirkdale junc Thorpewood Ave? I live here and would love to see
photos or hear of the history of this part of Kirkdale.
Michael Viner

Re: old photos of kirkdale junc thorpewood avenue....anyone?

Post by Michael Viner »

ImageUpper Kirkdale by Michael Viner, on Flickr

Sherlomi-For some reason there aren't many old photos around(or that have ever turned up) of the top of Kirkdale,formerly Sydenham Hill Rd..Here is a Judges postcard from the late 1960's of the junction of Thorpewood Ave./Kirkdale. The seat at the top of Thorpewood went in the 1980's I seem to recall, when the road was sort-of- widened.The great, old- fashioned,once ubiquitous 'school ahead/watch out for school children ' sign with the satchel-carrying 50's boy and girl was removed about the same time.The school ahead was Eliot Bank,of course.Other than that not much has changed.There was an interesting article by Steve Grindlay in the Sydenham Society newsletter a few years back about the chap who lived in the house on the southern corner of Thorpewood there(I can't remember his name,I'll try and dig it out) There's also a lovely old painting from the 1830's painted just a bit further down from here reproduced in Steve's recent book on old Sydenham & Forest Hill
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Thankyou so much for the photo Michael - where could I buy a copy of Steve Grindlays book?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Thorpewood Avenue was named after Woodthorpe House, which was sited near what is now the junction with Kirkdale. It was the teenage home of the philosopher G. E. Moore, a great influence on Bertrand Russell. Seehttps://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... ore#p50341
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Thankyou Robin - any idea where I might buy copy of Steve Grindlays book?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I expect Kirkdale Bookshop will have a copy. Alternatively, there's always the evil Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sydenham-Forest ... 1445634929