air raid shelters

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
MartinH

air raid shelters

Post by MartinH »

I wonder if there is a map of all the public air raid shelters in the Sydenham area and if any still exist?
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

you in trouble with the missus?
FergussonFamily

Post by FergussonFamily »

There is a shelter in the grounds of Royston School in Penge.
http://www.bromley.gov.uk/education/sch ... ry_sch.htm

It is under the lawn between the school and Penge High Street. I've no idea if it is open for visits, but you could contact the school.

It is the subject of a Young Adult Fiction time-travel story 'The Secret Shelter' written by Sandi LeFaucher, a former Secretary at the school,
http://www.sandilefaucheur.com/
brian stimson

Re: air raid shelters

Post by brian stimson »

MartinH wrote:I wonder if there is a map of all the public air raid shelters in the Sydenham area and if any still exist?
Martin
Just noticed your posting. There was an air raid shelter in Tannsfeld Road opposite the entrance to Alexandra Park and another in Silverdale Road, about 100 yards or so on the left coming from Sydenham High Street. There was an alleyway that linked Siverdale with Station Approach and the shelter was along there, I fell off the roof and finished up in The Children's Hospital (c. 1953).
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

I seem to remember 'Shelter' painted on the wall by the cinema in London rd.
I think it can still be seen today, but I'm not sure where exactly the shelter would have been
sean

Post by sean »

We had two shelters in our garden. A tin one - now removed; and a brick pointed one.