RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Thanks to Pat Trembath for keeping the pressure on councillors and officers at Lewisham, who have in turn been asking questions of Purelake.

It was good to see some progress yesterday. There was a man on site today until about 10am painting the bargeboards, but that appears to be it for this week.

Like everyone else I'm keen to see some sustained progress, so let's hope that's what next week brings.
sydres

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by sydres »

Whilst i am encouraged by work continuing on site, can either Lewisham Council or Sydenham Society confirm if they are aware whether Purelake will have finished by the end of this month as originally stated. If this is not possible, what is the revised timetable for completion? This should be fairly easy to find out from the contractor's programme of works.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Nobody on site at 9:20 this morning with glorious weather. Doesn't seem to be pressing on with much urgency.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

What a shame (although not a surprise).

Will this be built by April 2016? (April 2015 - the title of the post - is long past, and even a hope of a pint before Christmas is looking unlikely sadly....)

There is a pub in the City that I sometimes walk past, which has been completely gutted and rebuilt (within the inside) - all within ~6 weeks, so it's very sad to see such seemingly sloth-paced activity in Sydenham.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

My last post was lost during the server outage problems, so...

- Roof slates were delivered to the Greyhound site yesterday, having been sourced from a salvage yard

- Mid Kent Roofing Ltd were on site yesterday and today and they have begun to lay the slates
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Thank you Mid Kent roofing!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Yeah there were about 8 workmen on site this morning but sadly the rain scared them all away this afternoon. Hopeful for good progress tomorrow.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

And I'm pleased to report that:

- A chap in a Purelake tabard was inspecting the site early this morning

- Mid Kent Roofing are back on site and are cracking on with laying the slates
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

Owlwise - Is that a happy face for every month this project has taken?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

iandavenport wrote:Owlwise - Is that a happy face for every month this project has taken?
Made me chuckle :P
Maria

Post by Maria »

Well if so you've left out February 2012: :D
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Since my post on Thursday, more roof slates have been laid.

In addition:
- A window frame has been installed in the gable on the western elevation
- Some additional wooden detailing has been added to the gables above the bay windows on the front elevation

Finally, a wooden railing has arrived and has been painted. It's now inside the building and will, I suspect, be installed on the recessed balcony above the main door.

Let's hope work continues apace.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:Since my post on Thursday, more roof slates have been laid.

In addition:
- A window frame has been installed in the gable on the western elevation
- Some additional wooden detailing has been added to the gables above the bay windows on the front elevation

Finally, a wooden railing has arrived and has been painted. It's now inside the building and will, I suspect, be installed on the recessed balcony above the main door.

Let's hope work continues apace.

I feel soon we shall have to ask her majesty to rename this thread the #rebuildthegreyhound April 2016. I'll provide the champers, liz trusts my wine choices.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

I noticed today a very small window that has been installed.

This construction has taken an incredibly long time to get off the ground. Now it's painfully slowly being constructed.Just to add to the pain/pleasure that is The Rebuilding of the Greyhound.

But it's so good to see it coming back to life. Albeit veeerrrryyyy sllloooowwwlllllllyyyyy.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :evil: :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink: :twisted: :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

I was mightly impressed when I walked past the building site just a short while ago. It's been a few weeks since I'd seen the developments last, and was very glad to see the roof tiles nearly completed AND windows inserted! Black timber framed sash windows by the look of it.... Let's hope they keep up this momentum. For once, I must say credit is due to the recent surge in activity!
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Yes - getting quite hopeful now. Anyone know if the much disputed Sainsbury's local is gearing up to go in at the rear of the Greyhound? Really handy not to even have to cross a road to buy a pint of milk - however will always get my daily paper at Pete's!
parker

Post by parker »

Hopefully Sainsbury's do open in that spot. Will be handy to have a decent shop around there with a bakery in it etc. I don't know why Sainsbury's, with their kind of money want that unit though, the double fronted one next to The Pavilion pub would make them much more noticeable and more on 'the main stretch', something Wylarbo Chomp a bit further down Kirkdale obviously didn't think of, and now they're closed. Surprise, surprise.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Lewisham's Mayor and Cabinet will receive an update on progress with the Greyhound at their meeting on 30 September 2015. Officers' report is available at http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ ... 9&MId=3859

Key points:

External works - paragraph 6.1.7 and 5.1.8

The following external works to the building are 'likely' to be completed between late October and mid November 2015:
- The construction of a replacement roof
- The retention of the enlarged basement
- The omission of a rear elevation window
- Amendment to the west elevation relocation of the proposed sliding door and the omission of a ground floor window
- Provision of replacement railings and door to the existing first floor balcony
- The formation of a chimney to accommodate internal ventilation ducting
- The provision of new timber window openings
- Installation of a rooflight to the rear slope
- Installation of stone plinths with replica greyhounds.

Unauthorised floor in the building - paragraph 6.1.4

Purelake have reiterated that the unauthorised floor will be removed once the roof is complete.

Public realm works - paragraphs 6.1.12 - 6.1.13

Purelake are obliged to undertake public realm works. The following have already been approved:
- The use of Bradstone Panache concrete paviors - silver grey and black finish
- The planting of six silver birch trees
- Installation of Victorian-style lamp-posts painted black
- Provision of seating area
- Provision of secure cycle parking

Drinking corridor tiles - paragraph 6.1.6

These tiles, which were previously located within the pub, will need to be installed within the building. They have been repaired and are in storage.

Current planning application - paragraph 6.1.10

A decision is pending on a planning application for the construction of (a) an extension (a conservatory) to the western side of the building and (b) the formation of external stairs at the rear down to the basement

Officers have requested further information about the detailing of the proposed conservatory. A decision on the planning application is due in November.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hopefully the conservatory will go through with no issues, it looks good and would be a great place to sit. I hope all local civic societies and hoi polloi are supporting this application. I see no issue with the conservatory. No sure about the stairs, when we designed the mural at the back, the handrails for the stairs were indicated on the drawings so have no issue with them, it doesn't affect the mural in any way.

http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_79021

This is the number:
DC/15/92039

Great update Biscuitman as usual.