Speed cameras on Sydenham Hill

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Re: Speed cameras on Sydenham Hill

Post by Rachael »

I believe it is also being introduced in Lambeth. If such a low speed limit is to be introduced, doing it piecemeal on a borough-by-borough basis was not ideal. If it's 20 mph pretty much everywhere (which it may be eventually if this trend continues) at least drivers will be better prepared.
_HB

Post by _HB »

Agree Rachael - Although, given the way the Borough system works in London it is almost impossible to imagine them succeeding in rolling it out across London all at once. The only way that could happen would be on TFL roads (like the S Circular), but those are most often the roads where the 20mph limit is least appropriate.

Still, progress is progress...
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I agree with _HB & Rachael

I wonder if the irritation of having to adjust speed according our arbitrary LB Borough boundaries might significantly advance the principle of 'All Power to City Hall'?

If perfectly reasonable motorists such as Rachael, even if drivers of the larger car, are with us, who can be against us?
_HB

Post by _HB »

Yes - My visionary idea is to have some kind of legislative authority covering all of the Boroughs to handle issues like transport and services. A kind of Greater London Authority, if you will...
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

_HB wrote:Yes - My visionary idea is to have some kind of legislative authority covering all of the Boroughs to handle issues like transport and services. A kind of Greater London Authority, if you will...
Some might say you're a dreamer / but you're not the only one.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Tim Lund wrote:
If perfectly reasonable motorists such as Rachael, even if drivers of the larger car, are with us, who can be against us?
I'm feeling rather 'damned with faint praise' here, Tim. Have you been peeping into my driveway, perchance?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Rachael wrote:
Tim Lund wrote:
I'm feeling rather 'damned with faint praise' here, Tim. Have you been peeping into my driveway, perchance?
Just one of your faithful readers
Rachael wrote:I drive a larger car - not a van or a caravan, not even a large 4x4. Just something the length of a larger saloon and slightly wider.
Faint praise? The allusion is the the very Godhead!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Tim Lund wrote:
Rachael wrote:
Tim Lund wrote:
Just one of your faithful readers
Rachael wrote:I drive a larger car - not a van or a caravan, not even a large 4x4. Just something the length of a larger saloon and slightly wider.
Faint praise? The allusion is the the very Godhead!
I think I'd rather you HAD been peeping in my driveway rather than remembering (and finding) things I posted here more than a year ago.

I have no idea what your last link refers to.
mosy

Post by mosy »

As this is getting heavy, a whimsical anecdote: We were driving along Syd Hill on a Sunday afternoon after a visit to Wells Park and the Dulwich Wood House lunch pub. The road, very wide at that point, was empty in both directions. I asked the driver after a hundred yards, who was abiding by the speed limit of 20. why he was driving on the wrong side of the road, knowing full well he'd just come back from Europe. Oops. No ticket, phew. :)
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

_HB wrote:Good.
Yeah. It's be exactly like it is now, only with 20mph signs everywhere. Can't wait. :lol:
_HB

Post by _HB »

BUMP

Here is the latest peer reviewed evidence on 20 mph zones for anyone interested:

http://dro.dur.ac.uk/13621/1/13621.pdf? ... jk+d700tmt
Background: Transport is an important determinant of health and there is a well-established association between socio-economic status (SES) and risk of road accidents. Effective traffic calming interventions such as 20mph zones and limits may therefore improve health and reduce health inequalities.

Methods: Systematic review methodology was used to identify systematic reviews of the effects of
20mph zones (including speed limits and road humps) and 20mph limits on health and SES inequalities in health amongst adults and children.

Results: Five systematic reviews were included. Overall, they provide convincing evidence that these measures are effective in reducing accidents and injuries, traffic speed and volume, as well as improving perceptions of safety in two of the studies. There was also evidence that such interventions are potentially cost effective. There was no evidence of the effects on SES inequalities in these outcomes.

Conclusion: 20mph zones and limits are effective means of improving public health via reduced
accidents and injuries. Whilst there was no direct evidence on the effects of interventions on health inequalities, targeting such interventions in deprived areas may be beneficial. Further controlled evaluations that specifically examine SES effects are required.