Redevelopment of 278-280 Kirkdale (by railway bridge)

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Manwithaview1

Re: Redevelopment of 278-280 Kirkdale (by railway bridge)

Post by Manwithaview1 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:
biscuitman1978 wrote:Details of the commercial unit are now available on Acorn's website: http://www.acorncommercial.co.uk/proper ... ndon-8529/

Acorn don't seem to have a very clear idea what the unit can be used for. Strangely:
- The particulars for the unit (at http://www.acorncommercial.co.uk/files/ ... 26lr-1.pdf) say A1
- The top of the shopfront hoarding says the unit is A1/A3 (with A2 available subject to change of use)
- The bottom of the shopfront hoarding says the unit is only available on an A1/A2 basis

Confusing, eh?!
For what it's worth, Acorn tell me that the owner would prefer a shop or a coffee shop, rather than a restaurant operator (as a restaurant would create 'smells and noise issues' for the flats above).
Does Sydenham need another cafe/coffee shop?

Just asking...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

True a restaurant , open until late , may be a problem for the good Burghers in the apartments >

Coffee Shop probably close early evening.

Can you ever have too many coffee shops. The market will decide .
_HB

Post by _HB »

The market decides the correct amount of the things Eagle likes, like coffee shops. Eagle decides the correct amount of things he dislikes, like tattoo parlours.

Simple.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Very well said HB.

Cup of coffee does not usually leave one scared for life.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:Very well said HB.

Cup of coffee does not usually leave one scared for life.
I had a burn from a cup of tea that a steward served me on a flight as turbulence hit. Had to have a minor skin graft waybackwhen. Wasn't a pretty sight. :(
I hammer

Post by I hammer »

Was it TWA coffee or T.w.a.t.?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

MWAV

I am sorry for your experience , but that is why I put in the word , usually.

When purchasing a Coffee I assume your intention was not to be scared for life.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

It's interesting that in the advert it mentions the shops in the immediate vicinity and lists Sainsbury's as opening soon... I wonder if this is true? or just the old long standing rumour that has been shared on the Greyhound thread?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Do you still think it should have been torn down Eagle?

Or do you fancy a slice?
FromCtoShiningC

Acorn show the Orb commercial unit as now 'under off''... does anyone know who our new neighbours will be? An exciting new venture for 2016....
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Totally confused as usual. As long as the new venture not junk food , nail establishment or tattoo establishment I wish them the very best .

Not sure where Humble Pie comes into any equation. . However the very best to all for a very healthy 2016.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

The latest (15 December 2015) from officers at Lewisham Council on the reinstatement of the pavement outside the new commercial unit.
I have spoken to the Clerk of Works and he has confirmed that we have told the developer that we will not reinstate the footway until after the whole development has been finished - this includes the fitting out of the shop/shop front which we think has not yet been done. The developer agreed to let us know when the shop/shop front is finished as they were also keen to get the footway reinstated in the new paving, but have not contacted us yet. The highway inspector will visit the site tomorrow.

If works are now complete we will programme the reinstatement of the footway though it will not now be done until the new year.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I had some reservations about this building, because I thought the contrast with nearby buildings too jarring, as in this on Acorn's website

but today, walking past, I liked it

I could have a go at explaining what I find different about these views, but not for now.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:The latest (15 December 2015) from officers at Lewisham Council on the reinstatement of the pavement outside the new commercial unit.
I have spoken to the Clerk of Works and he has confirmed that we have told the developer that we will not reinstate the footway until after the whole development has been finished - this includes the fitting out of the shop/shop front which we think has not yet been done. The developer agreed to let us know when the shop/shop front is finished as they were also keen to get the footway reinstated in the new paving, but have not contacted us yet. The highway inspector will visit the site tomorrow.

If works are now complete we will programme the reinstatement of the footway though it will not now be done until the new year.
And the latest update (5 January 2016):
We [Lewisham Council] will be carrying out the reinstatement of this area. However we will need to arrange the necessary traffic management first. the work should be done in the next few weeks.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

The latest update (8 March 2016) on reinstatement of the footway in front of The Orb:
[Lewisham's transport team has] spoken to the highway inspector and he has said that unfortunately it is a tricky job as not only is it non-standard paving but Conways have pointed out that it is a difficult location to work at to get their machinery in. As a result we will need to arrange traffic management for the works to be carried out. We hope this can be done in the next few weeks.
In the next few weeks? We've heard that before...

See the full history at https://www.fixmystreet.com/report/703490
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:The latest update (8 March 2016) on reinstatement of the footway in front of The Orb:
[Lewisham's transport team has] spoken to the highway inspector and he has said that unfortunately it is a tricky job as not only is it non-standard paving but Conways have pointed out that it is a difficult location to work at to get their machinery in. As a result we will need to arrange traffic management for the works to be carried out. We hope this can be done in the next few weeks.
In the next few weeks? We've heard that before...

See the full history at https://www.fixmystreet.com/report/703490
Still no sign of the pavement being reinstated. I have chased an update.
FromCtoShiningC

It will be good when the new occupier takes over - it would seem probable (one would hope) that an occupier would wish to smarten up the area in front of the premises ASAP.

Has anyone heard any news on who our new commercial neighbour may be in the Orb?
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

FromCtoShiningC wrote:It will be good when the new occupier takes over - it would seem probable (one would hope) that an occupier would wish to smarten up the area in front of the premises ASAP.
I'm sure you're right, although I hope we don't need to wait for a new occupier simply to get this sorted.

For what it's worth, funds have been made available by the developer to reinstate the pavement. The hold-up is, I gather, because:
(a) It is non-standard paving
(b) Conway, Lewisham Council's contractor, has advised that it is a difficult location in which to work and the Council will, therefore, need to arrange traffic management measures (presumably temporary traffic lights)
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Latest update from Lewisham Council:
Lewisham Council wrote:The works are on the system but traffic management must be arranged in order for them to be carried out. I spoke to the inspector this morning and he thinks the works should be done within the next month.
FromCtoShiningC

I'm sure this premises was under offer, but has since vanished off the Acorn Commercial Website.... does anyone know of any update on this potentially exciting venture? It's one of the most central and visible locations in Sydenham and so deserves to be something of interest (here's hoping)