LA Fitness Sydenham becomes Pure Gym

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
AliceK

LA Fitness Sydenham becomes Pure Gym

Post by AliceK »

I've noticed that LA Fitness in Sydenham has shut down and has become and Pure Gym. It apparently opens in January. Has anyone ever been to a Pure Gym? Considering signing up and interested in peoples experiences with Pure Gym.
monkeyarms

Re: LA Fitness Sydenham becomes Pure Gym

Post by monkeyarms »

Not used one. Membership looks like it might be quite cheap.

Overall I'm disappointed however because, having just moved to the area, I was going to join LA Fitness almost exclusively for its swimming pool. Swimming's my main thing and it would have been a lot more convenient for me than going to Bridge Leisure or Beckenham. Going by the Pure Gym website, it looks like the pool will be a thing of the past.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

I read its 24/7 and only costs £19.99 per month with no contract! (£15 joining fee)

http://www.puregym.com/gyms/london-sydenham

Not a bad deal!
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Forest Hill Pools also convenient for parts of Sydenham

http://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/centres ... ill_Pools/
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

monkeyarms wrote:Not used one. Membership looks like it might be quite cheap.

Overall I'm disappointed however because, having just moved to the area, I was going to join LA Fitness almost exclusively for its swimming pool. Swimming's my main thing and it would have been a lot more convenient for me than going to Bridge Leisure or Beckenham. Going by the Pure Gym website, it looks like the pool will be a thing of the past.
From some of the reviews I read when I considered joining it, the swimming pool was to be avoided... amongst other things there if the reviews can be believed.

My neighbour told me it was all changing and he seems to think it is a good thing, and he used it as LA Fitness.
shibbycribby

Post by shibbycribby »

Not used a pure gym but I really hope they upgrade the facilities from when it was LA Fitness, was a bit run down when I cancelled my membership there. The 'pool' was more of a paddling pool really, if you want to actually swim I'd go with what previous people have said and try Forest Hill pools or the Crystal Palace olympic pool which are much much larger.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Bit deep for a paddling pool :)
I'm not a strong swimmer, and always felt uncomfortable with the level as high as it was. But yes, the pool was pretty titchy. And the state of the changing rooms left a lot to be desired on the odd occasion I used it.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Mayowthorpe wrote:I read its 24/7 and only costs £19.99 per month with no contract! (£15 joining fee)
In that case, sounds like a bargain. I think it's about a fiver to swim at The Spa in Beckenham, isn't it?
SydenhamBorn

Post by SydenhamBorn »

I will be cancelling my membership because it was the pool I joined for though I did use the treadmill quite a bit. It was more convenient than local pools as I don't drive and it was less than 10 minutes walk away.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Forest Hill Pools are very close by. A lot closer than Beck Spa. Good facilities too. And a good gym of course.