Has our Town Pub been demolished?

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
chrisj1948

Re: Has our Town Pub been demolished?

Post by chrisj1948 »

Robin Orton wrote:.... there is no place on the Forum for friendly, constructive, illuminating, non-confrontational, mutually supportive conversation about general issues.
If you could devise a way of restraining general discussions so that they fitted into that category then I am sure that Admin (or his successors) would find a place for them.

Regards
Chris
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Tim Lund wrote:The [thread] referring to hedgehogs very much was Sydenham - we do have hedgehogs here, there are things we can do to help them, and an item about them, and Sydenham, did appear on Sky News.
Fair enough, but the text in the thread provides no context for that. On the face of it, the thread is simply about hedgehogs: there's no explanation about the presence of hedgehogs in Sydenham or that the Sky News item is about Sydenham (although I can't see any references to Sydenham in the item).
Tim Lund wrote:The other [thread], about favourite good causes, is not specifically about Sydenham, but then nor is the favourite music thread.
Indeed, and I'd prefer that both were in the Town Pub (or whichever thread is devoted to non-Sydenham issues now or in the future).

Anyway, it's not the end of the world, but I've made my point!
mosy

Post by mosy »

chrisj1948 wrote:
Robin Orton wrote:.... there is no place on the Forum for friendly, constructive, illuminating, non-confrontational, mutually supportive conversation about general issues.
If you could devise a way of restraining general discussions so that they fitted into that category then I am sure that Admin (or his successors) would find a place for them.

Regards
Chris
I'd suggest that the Town Cafe is already the place - I don't recall it ever being unfriendly.

Admin once told me (after I made a similar suggestion about something) that the more sub-forums that are offered, the lazier or more bewildered people become and thus post everything under the first main heading as it will receive the widest number of views, the other sub-forums being largely ignored. After considering posting behaviour on other forums I post on, I have to agree as that is exactly what happens in my experience also. The keep it simple philosophy.

While my view as to what the Town Cafe could be is at odds with biscuitman1978's view, I would add that when I have introduced lighthearted threads into The Pub, they scarcely receive a reply. Why? Probably because there's nothing much to add or to debate either so they are decidedly shortlived. Some people do like debating for the sake of it. I do about some things especially if views are distinctly different from mine, which makes it interesting. Not personalised bickering of course. By definition, people debating or arguing aren't agreeing, which can be boring to some and seem unfriendly to others. Anyone is free to start a new thread in The Pub of course.

One criticism made sometimes is that newcomers' posts are ignored as if their opinion doesn't count when trying to join in when two or three people are dominating a debate. That is seen as unfriendly but is easy to address by actively including them isn't it?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

First Town Pub. I'm leaving all decisions on that to my successors. You don't realise how much pleasure it gives me to write that!

Second Town Cafe. I'm surprised no one noticed a shift in moderation from when Town Pub went dark (well a bit dim to the unregistered). My current policy is anything nice you might discuss in a cafe politely. I didn't change the sub-form description (again that's a job for my successors) relying more on an organic shift as threads naturally wandered around.

So under my watch stuff in Town Cafe is NOT going to get shovelled into the Pub unless it is a troll or gets too heavy for polite society.

Can't you tell I'm already getting a bit demob happy?

Admin
Pally

Post by Pally »

Robin Orton wrote:The main point I was trying to make, admittedly rather obliquely, in my earlier post is that if the Town Café is to be restricted to Sydenham-only issues, there is no place on the Forum for friendly, constructive, illuminating, non-confrontational, mutually supportive conversation about general issues. I think that is a pity.
So do I
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ahem, didn't my previous post answer that?

Admin
Pally

Post by Pally »

admin wrote:Ahem, didn't my previous post answer that?

Admin
Yes it did ...... but somehow the name café does suggest something slightly different to Pub..... but I will start looking at the Café more closely whilst having a Latte or two! :D
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

mosy wrote:While my view as to what the Town Cafe could be is at odds with biscuitman1978's view,,,
I have no objection to the Town Cafe being the place for general chat, which I think is what you're suggesting, provided that it is badged as such.

Why? Well, I don't want to wade through posts in the Town Cafe about the weather/Royal Family/European Union/etc in order to find occasional posts about Sydenham. If that means confining Sydenham discussion to the Town Hall (plus the Town Museum and Town Stadium) that's fine with me. But if that's the plan, the sub-forum description will need to be amended. As admin says, that will be a job for his successor(s),
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I always found it a bit confusing to have two Sydenham-specific news subsections, one 'serious' and one, um, not so, or something. I would be in favour of having the Town Hall for all Sydenham news, bar sports, kids stuff and offers/wanted which naturally sit in their own sections.

The Cafe could then be allowed to continue as it has started to evolve, as a place for friendly chat which might or might not have a Sydenham slant. Politics stays in the Pub, arguments get moved there. It might be a good idea to make a note of that in the Cafe subheading, so non-members are aware (if it isn't there already).
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Why not just have the Town Hall and the Pub?

One for Sydenham related issues in a cold and unwelcoming public building and one for general chat over a pint of cappuccino while sat on mismatching old slightly shabby chic chairs?

Having less categories would surely be a positive and encourage more debate in a larger, more open plan pub and town hall?
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

leenewham wrote:Why not just have the Town Hall and the Pub?
I think the current three tier approach is good. I would certainly keep the Pub separate. I confess that the divisions are less meaningful for me, since I always list unread postings and then pick the topics I think might be interesting, rather than browsing in a particular group.

Regards
Chris
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

chrisj1948 wrote:
leenewham wrote:Why not just have the Town Hall and the Pub?
I think the current three tier approach is good. I would certainly keep the Pub separate. I confess that the divisions are less meaningful for me, since I always list unread postings and then pick the topics I think might be interesting, rather than browsing in a particular group.

Regards
Chris
Me too. I rarely start a topic, mostly just replying. The sections only become relevant if you are choosing where to start a topic, I think.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Rachael wrote:The sections only become relevant if you are choosing where to start a topic, I think.
I disagree! :)

As a reader of the forum, I want to know that if I read sub-forum A I will find discussion related to Sydenham, whereas if I read sub-forum B I can expect to find discussion not related to Sydenham.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

biscuitman1978 wrote:
Rachael wrote:The sections only become relevant if you are choosing where to start a topic, I think.

As a reader of the forum, I want to know that if I read sub-forum A I will find discussion related to Sydenham, whereas if I read sub-forum B I can expect to find discussion not related to Sydenham.
Depends how you approach the forum, as already stated. I always start with the new posts page. I suppose if I was looking for something specific that wasn't a recent post, I'd look at a particular sub-forum. But I'd probably be more likely to do a search. In any case, as a reader too, I rarely approach the forum via the subsection headings.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Rachael wrote:
biscuitman1978 wrote:

Depends how you approach the forum, as already stated. I always start with the new posts page. I suppose if I was looking for something specific that wasn't a recent post, I'd look at a particular sub-forum. But I'd probably be more likely to do a search. In any case, as a reader too, I rarely approach the forum via the subsection headings.
Fair enough. To be honest I had no idea there was a 'new posts' page!

But for the way I want to read the forum - restricting my reading to Sydenham-focussed discussion - the point still stands. I simply don't want to read general posts about the weather/Royal Family/European Union/etc. That means having sub-forums with a specific role.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Try using the New Posts page for a while - it may revolutionise how you read this forum!
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Rachael wrote:Try using the New Posts page for a while - it may revolutionise how you read this forum!
Ah yes, I've found it now. Thanks!

Mind you, I fear that those pesky posts about the weather/Royal Family/European Union/etc will crop up soon enough... :wink:
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I agree. I would like to suggest that in the light of the points that have been made on this thread the new Admins might consider

a. whether the remits (and possibly names?) of the Town Café ('Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends, ancestors or anything else related to Sydenham') and Town Pub ('The New Greyhound. Anything *NOT* about Sydenham plus bad jokes, flame wars or other banter you would have enjoyed in the old place' ) would benefit from tweeking. In particular, perhaps it should be made clear whether or not there is a home somewhere for what I described as 'friendly, constructive, illuminating, non-confrontational, mutually supportive conversation about general (non-Sydenham issues' (rather than 'flame wars' and 'banter').

b whether, in the light of any changes under a., it is still necessary for the Town Pub (or its successor) to be accessible only to registered users.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Robin Orton wrote: In particular, perhaps it should be made clear whether or not there is a home somewhere for what I described as 'friendly, constructive, illuminating, non-confrontational, mutually supportive conversation about general (non-Sydenham issues' (rather than 'flame wars' and 'banter').
So you want the Town Pub to have a Lounge and a Public Bar?

Regards
Chris
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Not sure that would carry quite the right connotations. (I assume you'd have to pay more for your beer in the lounge?)

The use of the Town Café for friendly conversation or discussion on non-Sydenham topics was mentioned upthread. The previous Admin (supported by, amongst others, Rachael), said he thought that was OK, but biscuitman1978 didn't like the idea.