Blocking Adverts on this site

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
marymck

Blocking Adverts on this site

Post by marymck »

Please can someone tell me how to block adverts on this site? I don't object to ads per se, but the ones that appear on STF are particularly icky pictures of prostitutes. I have tried blocking pop ups on my phone, but that makes no difference. These appear on no other website and, I hasten to add, bear absolutely no relation to my browsing history. I asked Admin about this some years ago and, if memory serves, I was told it was based on my search history. It really, really isn't. I assume there is some phrase in someone's STF post that triggers these ... or maybe "Town Cafe" has an alternative meaning that I just don't understand.
stuart

Re: Blocking Adverts on this site

Post by stuart »

Mary,

The only adverts coming from the forum are about £500 websites. What you are seeing probably has nothing to do with STF but is because your browser or supporting software has been hacked. Where exactly are you seeing them on the page? Do you see them using a PC? Could you post a screenshot? (I'm sure the new Admins can delete it later).

Is anybody else seeing this?

If so it probably not even worth trying an ad-blocker. You will need to get your computer or phone cleaned somehow.

Stuart
Last edited by stuart on 24 Nov 2015 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Hi Stuart

The ads appear towards the bottom of the screen, directly below "jump to Town Asylum", where the ad for the £5.75 web domain sometimes appears. I'm viewing on my Android phone.

Currently, she's "40+ single and willing" ... and posing in a garden with children's toys in the background. Oh so tasteful.

I don't know how to post a screen shot, but I can try to post the url it links to, if that helps.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Mary,

This is a screenshot from my Android phone (you can see you were browsing the forum at the time). So nothing extra should be near the 'Jump to'.

Can you reproduce it on a PC?

marymck

Post by marymck »

Thanks Stuart, where you get Buzz Domains etc, I get other ads ... mostly women with huge thighs unwisely wearing lycra. Oddly, since I started asking about the ads I'm now being offered things related to the page content ... I think. Though now I pause to think about it, maybe I'd get more than a fine for polluting the smokeless zone if I clicked on the ad for hardwood logs.

I'll try my PC this evening and see if the same thing happens there.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mary - I'm glad to say that Stuart remains in charge of the technical side so I'll leave this in his more than capable hands.

Admin.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I spoke too soon! Thunder thighs is back ...

https:// tpc.googlesyndication.com/simgad/12888597937120642882
marymck

Post by marymck »

Now I'm being offered fresh flowers through the letterbox. The accompanying photo looks innocuous.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Mary,

Can I clarify. Are you seeing this on the page listing the threads or on the post page itself?

Stuart
marymck

Post by marymck »

On the post pages.
stuart

Post by stuart »

This is very strange. I've checked the code and there is some googlesyndication code in there. Obviously they don't think I'm worth advertising to (cos they are really smart) so I see nothing. But obviously for you it must be coming out different. This is only on the post pages.

The solution is to use an ad blocker. Play Store should provide you with a selection. It should also speed things up. As for who else has been using your phone I will not ask!

If you Google 'google who am i ' you will find your way to pages setting your preferences if you don't want to use an ad blocker.

Stuart

EDIT: Android screenshots can be captured by pressing the power button and volume down button simultaneously for at least 2 seconds. The result will probably be in the /Pictures/Screenshots directory.

EDIT2: Obviously my first posts were wrong. No supper tonight so please disregard & my apologies for doubting you.
Last edited by stuart on 24 Nov 2015 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Nope no one else has access to my phone. Nor have I been visiting dodgy websites. It's odd that STF is the only site this happens on and also that they're not trying to sell me anything even remotely related to anything I've ever bought online or any news stories or websites I've visited (apart from the logs on STF)! Sadly I can't download anything from Play Store to this phone due to trying to change a forgotten username/password.

Edited to say I wrote the above before seeing your edits!! Thanks for your help Stuart.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Yep, easier to change your phone. <iPhone users please look away now>. Some really good models in the £100/£200 band. Time to write your Christmas list to Santa :)

Stuart
marymck

Post by marymck »

And I've just found out my phone is apparently too old at the grand old age of four to allow me to take screen shots. Hey Ho there goes the environment, disappearing up a spiral of consumerism. Cheaper to put up with the parade of remarkably hard faced tarts really ... and just hope they're not strutting their stuff in the Kids' section and if it has that the Young Visiters have more state of the art expensive phones than mine (which I'm sure they will have!)
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I'm not seeing any adverts if that nature on my android. Whilst an app like adblock plus will likely hide them for you Mary you may also want to download a security app to scan your phone for anything malicious.
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

yes. you get app for remove malware.

can you deleet history from fone also? mayby this help i hope.