RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by Eagle »

If the Pub ever reopens I trust all the campaigners like Mrs Trembath will be regulars.

Could someone change the heading to April 2017 if we are lucky.
stuart

Post by stuart »

This morning lots of Purelake vans and --- <fanfare> two Greyhounds are in place. When did that happen?

Stuart
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Eagle wrote:If the Pub ever reopens I trust all the campaigners like Mrs Trembath will be regulars.
Could someone change the heading to April 2017 if we are lucky.
Looks great doesn't it Eagle?

Glad we didn't knock it down to make Sainsbury's more visible?

Just in case you didn't taste it, here's another slice for you:

;-)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I still maintain knocking down could have been a positive option.

Living locally since 1949 I always was very negative about the Pub. Tried it roughly every five years and not impressed.

True Sydenham has now gone up market , full of wealthy property owners , so they may have a chance of a completely new clientelle.

All I was pointing out was I hope those who have endlessly campaigned for the Pub actually support it .I accept that it is being built , rightly or wrongly , it is a fact . So let us support it.

We just hope the supporters actually support it with their custom.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hmm, my questions haven't been answered.

So, do you think it looks great?
Do you think it's better than an empty space so you can see more of the buildings behind?

It's ok to be wrong Eagle, it happens to us all. ;-) The pie is still warm.
stuart

Post by stuart »

stuart wrote:This morning lots of Purelake vans and --- <fanfare> two Greyhounds are in place. When did that happen?
They are glazing the doors too. Enjoy and i'll even buy you a drink Eagle if and when it opens as a pub ...

Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

It definitely doesn't look like a Nando's now.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I do hope those Greyhounds are secured to the plinths very tightly or they will end up in someone's back garden before they even open for buisness.
parker

Post by parker »

Whiftoff wrote:It definitely doesn't look like a Nando's now.
This was exactly the first thought that entered my head seeing those Greyhounds, how funny...! Looks like they're really going to town on this. I agree with Eagle, although it's looking good, if knocked down, the site could've still been a different type of success. I really hope whoever takes it on looks after it as its a very special space to many. It would be really great to hear about what's going to happen with it. It kind of looks too good to be a modern pub with mis-matched furniture now. Let's hope it doesn't turn into something like a sister bar for the Zanzibar nightclub kind of property, typical kind of thing to happen in this area. It definitely needs the upmarket tennant in here that knows what it's doing.
I hammer

Post by I hammer »

I think it'll be renamed '2 little sphinxes.'
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

I hammer wrote:I think it'll be renamed '2 little sphinxes.'
Haha - I think those tipping out of the Zanzibar are bound to have some fun with the Sphinxes.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Not a bad idea, I hammer. By extension, if you think about it, they could put a little kiddies' "greyhound" roundabout out front (for users of outdoor family benches) which would probably become more of a location landmark than the pub itself! That assumes it'll be developed as a family stopping point as well as a drinking hole, and if so probably needs space indoors for baby needs.

Oh the suspense... Good job they're not cat effigies as curiosity will have killed 'em by the time we find out ;)
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

A publican friend of mine has been talking to a colleague in Lewisham Planning Dept. and was told that the Greyhound is to become a coffee bar and not a public house! Comments?
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Seems like a huge waste of effort if it ends up as a costa/ Starbucks etc. also think it will appear out of place. In my view its best suited as an independent pub.
mosy

Post by mosy »

MartinH wrote:A publican friend of mine has been talking to a colleague in Lewisham Planning Dept. and was told that the Greyhound is to become a coffee bar and not a public house! Comments?
Being apparently hearsay at the moment, I'm hoping it's just meant that a coffee house will be one of the allowed categories for its use. It would be a bit of a joke given the exacting precision with which it's been rebuilt to maintain its historic significance, but I think it's up to the owner/lessor rather than the council who it is leased to.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Maybe thats pure lakes plan to get their own back. Spend ages doing the greyhound up and then turn it into a greggs! :)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Too large for any of the coffee chains I'd have thought, especially with the conservatory (if that's going ahead).
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

mosy wrote:Being apparently hearsay at the moment, I'm hoping it's just meant that a coffee house will be one of the allowed categories for its use. It would be a bit of a joke given the exacting precision with which it's been rebuilt to maintain its historic significance, but I think it's up to the owner/lessor rather than the council who it is leased to.
As I've posted previously, the planning permission allows for the building to be used as a pub or as a café or restaurant.

As you rightly say, it's up to the owner to find a tenant, and they are perfectly entitled to let the building to a cafe or restaurant operator if they wish.
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

For those who are interested, Lewisham officers provided the Mayor and Cabinet with an update on progress this week.

Officers' report is at http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ ... Update.pdf The current position (or rather the position at the time the report was written) is set out in section 6.

The 'decision' (available at http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ ... 9&MId=3862) was that:
Having considered an officer report and a presentation from the Deputy Mayor, Councillor Alan Smith, the Mayor agreed that the report be noted and the works undertaken in accordance with Schedule 10 of the S106 Agreement dated 24 May 2010 and the S96a application granted 10 February 2015 be acknowledged.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks Biscuitman, er, but is there a translation of that available anywhere?

I looked through the document and gave up after about 3 paragraphs, then used search for key words, what I found was:

No mention of the conservatory. Is thai happening? It seems crazy if it isn't.
The illegal extra floor has been removed.
I couldn't work out what is going on about the back staircase and door.