Burglary in Thorpes

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
TheProf

Burglary in Thorpes

Post by TheProf »

Unfortunately I'm sure this is fairly common, but we were burgled last night (Tuesday) between 6:30-10:30pm. We recently moved into the Thorpes on the junction of Earlsthorpe and Dukesthorpe.

On the very rare off chance that anybody saw anything suspicious around there last night do please let me know.
iandavenport

Re: Burglary in Thorpes

Post by iandavenport »

Sorry to hear that TheProf, Hope you didn't lose too much and there wasn't damage
Welcome to the Thorpes. Unfortunately the Thorpes roads do stand out as looking more prosperous than some of the surrounding parts of Sydenham , so we do seem an attractive target for break ins. If you live right on that corner, you are probably even more vulnerable, but with passing traffic on Mayow road, I would have hoped you had enough passers by to deter burglars. Are you in range of the CCTV near Slatters? How about SG Smith , I recall talk of them having cameras but cant be certain.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Very sorry to hear that.

That's an unusual time to be burgled: the sort of time most people would be in on a weeknight. How did they get in?
TheProf

Post by TheProf »

The police checked for CCTV but the nearest ones are on Sydenham Rd

They kicked in the lower wooden panel on our kitchen door. We spent a fortune on new locks but obviously that was a weak point.

Does anybody have any alarm recommendations?

G
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Blimey. We would be vulnerable in exactly the same way (saloon-bar style kitchen door, into a garden...)
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

I was burgled a month ago. I live in Maitland road, by Alexandra Park. They took laptops, personal items all adding up to around 3K. I contacted my insurance company - Liverpool and Victoria - and was informed that my insurance was null and void because although the windows had locks on them they were 'twist locks' and not 'key locks'. I advise everyone to check their policies as burglaries tend to rise this side of Christmas !!
DanW

Post by DanW »

Does anybody have any alarm recommendations?
Sorry to read this TheProf, we used Home Security Services (http://www.homesecurityservices.co.uk/) for our alarm and have been more than happy with the installation and follow-up annual service. They have an office in Sydenham (Kirkdale).

Dan