Electricity problems?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Electricity problems?

Post by Rachael »

Over the past few weeks I have noticed occasional flickering in my lights. Last night, at about 10:40, all my lights dimmed for a good few seconds, gradually until almost off, then snapped back on a full power. Anyone experience anything similar?
chrisj1948

Re: Electricity problems?

Post by chrisj1948 »

We had a flickering episode at about the time you stated. TV & computers not affected, so it was probably a short brownout. We are at the Sydenham Road / Newlands Park junction.

Regards
Chris
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Good to know it wasn't just us. And yes, it was just the lights. I've never seen them go all the way off and on again like that. I'm on Mayow Road.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Happened around that time last night in the room I was in - lights dimmed partly and then came back on. TV continued unaffected. We're up Westwood Hill - near Wells Park / Longton Grove area.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

All the lights were out in Station Approach at that time last night although lights were on in Sydenham Road.

Also, although lights were on in houses in Lawrie Pk Road, the street lights were not here functioning either.
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

Our lights dimmed (on the Chulsa estate) for a few seconds last night, around 10.40 pm. We've had a couple of incidents recently when the fuses tripped for all the plug sockets while an appliance was in use. Thought it might be down to recent mains work to our block, but maybe it's a wider issue.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Same here, lights dimmed momentarily to almost out then came back to full.

I've also noticed that one bulb has been flickering for a week or so, but only sometimes and for no obvious reason.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The reason I asked here was because we've been having flickering bulbs recently too - kept noticing it out of the corner of my eye. I also got an odd fault on my very sensitive washing machine yesterday which, when I googled it, seemed to relate to an inconsistency with the mains supply. It reassuring to know it's a wider problem and not just my old house throwing a wobbler!

I've dropped a feedback form to UK Power Networks to see if they are aware of the incident.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Right, I've just spoken to UK Power Networks. They have nothing on their system about this and have now logged it as a report. They will only investigate it as a wider issue if other people report it too. Otherwise it's just logged as a fault at my property. If anyone else would like to log it, you can do so very quickly via their website here: http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/intern ... ssue-form/

The more people who report it, from as wide an area as possible, the better. If there's a fault somewhere locally let's get them onto it before something more serious happens.
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

Thanks Rachael, I've used the form to report it too.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

me too - last night, 10:40 ish all lights went out, but TV stayed on. Off for maybe 1 second.
I shall report.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I reported this, and got a call back within 20 minutes from UKPN. The guy on the phone tried to convince me that if just the lights go off then it's an internal issue and not UKPN... he asked if we'd done decorating, building, or rewiring recently (which we haven't). He couldn't answer why it was several houses over a large area had the same affect.

on another forum, they suggested that most electrical and electronic equipment nowadays has surge protection and capacitors which can store enough energy to ride out a 2 second drop or surge in electricity, but that lighting circuits don't have these, so lights would go out temporarily, but TV would stay on.

someone else suggested that Smart Meters are able to be hijacked, and it could be more sinister...
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I had exactly the same conversation with UK Power Networks, which is why I asked other people to report too. They wanted to arrange a time to come to my property, which I declined as it's clearly not a problem inside my house.

I don't have a smart meter, so nothing sinister there...
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

Funny, I got an email back in response:

Thank you for contacting UK Power Networks. I have checked against your address and seen that was a problem in your area yesterday that was caused by a fault on one of our underground cables. As soon as we were made aware we managed to re-route power remotely avoiding the faulty part of the network which would explain why you came back on so quickly.

I hope that makes sense. If there is anything else you need, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Shapla Begum
Customer Service Advisor
Service Delivery Centre
UK Power Networks
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

blakewho wrote: I have checked against your address and seen that was a problem in your area yesterday that was caused by a fault on one of our underground cables. As soon as we were made aware we managed to re-route power remotely avoiding the faulty part of the network which would explain why you came back on so quickly.
i now happy cos thinking my eyes are problam here.
spec saver not so happy cos i now cancel eye test.

thank you Sydenham Forum peeples. :D