The Bell pub Lower Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
DigitalFX

The Bell pub Lower Sydenham

Post by DigitalFX »

Having lived in Sydenham all my life ( still young at 41) :D and just moved down from Westwood Hill to Lower Sydenham the one pub I have never ever ventured into is the Bell.

Has anybody popped in for a pint and happy to provide some feedback? Stuck my head in the door for a sneak viewing the other day so have a rough idea of it's decor.

Anybody living down this way fancy a pint one evening?
monkeyarms

Re: The Bell pub Lower Sydenham

Post by monkeyarms »

I've had a peek through the windows once or twice when picking up/dropping off my son at nursery (Little Elms, just opposite Tudor Livesey Hall, another place I'd like to have a look at some day).

The actual interior of the Bell looks really impressive and old - proper old wood beams etc

Yeah, I'd be up for a beer in there one evening.
DigitalFX

Post by DigitalFX »

Great,

Will send you a PM
maestro

Post by maestro »

DigitalFX wrote:Great,

Will send you a PM
I would like to have joined you but although the licensee may have recently been booted out I would also be hoping that the clientele has changed too, rather than take any risk I usually walk past the place and generally go to Beer Rebellion.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/13424 ... _in_fight/
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Oh I don't doubt it's dodgy as hell. I had a look at its Facebook page and read a few eyebrow-raising things. Still, I would like to have a look in there just the once
DigitalFX

Post by DigitalFX »

That was an interesting read.....lol
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Maybe the forum could host a review section for local pubs, bars, cafes, restaurants etc.

As for Trip Advisor, never use Mcat or heroin... :lol:
Manchiesfield

Post by Manchiesfield »

My grandfathers favourite pub, pulled out by the police in around 1900, the pub was infamous for harbouring hardened poachers and belligerent stokers from the gas works. I used it as a young man and liked the pub immensely.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Manchiesfield wrote: 29 Sep 2020 09:54 My grandfathers favourite pub, pulled out by the police in around 1900, the pub was infamous for harbouring hardened poachers and belligerent stokers from the gas works. I used it as a young man and liked the pub immensely.
..belligerent poachers and hardened stokers even?

Never met a poacher yet who didn't believe they had the every right to ply their trade based on their view that landowners only held property on an "all property is theft" basis.

Stokers - well at those gas-works you had to have a hardened outlook just to survive.