Prospect Place, Wells Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Michael Viner

Re: Prospect Place, Wells Road

Post by Michael Viner »

Here's a photo of Prospect Rd's Coronation Party,6thJune 1953.It's taken near the top of the road on the left(from Wells Park Rd.) i.e. the odd numbered houses.The houses behind the people are,I think possibly No. 5 and No. 7.
The dark wavy- haired chap smiling and holding the toddler on the left is Wally Wenham from No.14.His wife Betty is on his right(our left) wearing a large paper hat.The elderly-ish lady with the beret and glasses behind Mr.Wenham is Mrs.Hemmings from No.54.The bald chap on the extreme left is Chris Marshall
The pretty young lady with the paper hat in the middle behind the lad with a hat made from a 'Daz' box is Elsie Miller,the other ladies with her in that group with the paper hats are,right to left-Lillian Miller(wearing glasses),unknown, and Gladys Chipperfield nee Miller,all from No.24.The chap directly below the lady on the raised platform top far right is Mr.Edmonds(no.27)

Hope other readers can identify more-or even themselves.Click on photo to enlarge,hopefully.

Thanks to John Miller and especially his Mum,Rene Miller for the identifications.
Prospect Road by Michael Viner, on Flickr
Beerboy

Post by Beerboy »

len webb. wrote:hi sydenham folk.
I was pleased to come across your exchange about prospect place.
I don't have the infomation you seek re the early history of prospect place,but I know somthing
of the history of upper sydenham.
I lived at 71, wells park road from 1935 to 1960 when I got married and left home,
I can recall most of the shop owners and some of the families around the area from that time.
My granfather had Webb's the grocers from the early 1900s to 1947 at No.71 .
I started school at St Phillips infants sept 39.but only for a couple of weeks the lack of air raid shelters meant we were sent to kelvin grove school for the rest of our junior school time.
As you might expect war time memories are still quite clear and the considerable bombing
around this part of upper sydenham are easily recalled.
Len Webb.
I remember Marie Webb. She broke her leg sledging down Lapse Wood Walk. She also sledged down Springfield Rise when the snow was on the ground and before the council scattered gravel to allow the lorries to get to the S.E.Electric boards yard at the top. I remember Mr Bulpit and the Magic Lantern shows in the Mission at the top Of Bradford Road. Next door to it was a small drapers shop,Aldridges? then a grocers, Whites I think. Next door to that was a small pie shop where you could get a bowl of pease pudding and faggotsif you were lucky. Then Harry Heptones the cobblers and then the Sweet and paper shop, Bennetts I think. Then a grocers where I used to buy Lyons apple pies for fourpence and then the Talma.
Julia field

Post by Julia field »

Hi I noticed that some one had said about the field family and number 12 bradford road and terry that lived there I am terry field daughter and I would love to know any information that any body has I would be really grateful for

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
maureen barrett

Post by maureen barrett »

Hi there Julia.
Your dad Terry lived opposite my Nan and Grandad(no 11 Bradford Rd).I remember him well, although as he was a boy !!! we didnt play together. I remember him as a quiet slim and dark haired boy with a bike...quite something in our road at that time.He lived nextdoor to Brenda Langridge and her sister Sheila .Their grandad Mr Brooks had the ground floor of the house and they lived upstairs.
I expect Terry is in the 1953 Coronation party photo, and possibly in the VE day photo.I am in it as a baby, but not sure if Terry was quite as old as me!!!!.
I will ask my brothers what they remember, as they are younger than me, and as boys will have different memories.
Regards Maureen(nee Myles from no 33)
bradfordroadgirl

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

Hello Julia, We lived at 14 and I remember your grandparents really well although Terry was a fair bit older than me. Your grandmother was such a lovely person. One of her jobs was filling christmas crackers and she gave us a box of tiny plastic toys.

I can see your dad in my mindseye. At one point, he used to work on his motorbike inside the house, in the dining room and one night I woke up screaming (probably I was about 6) as he had started it up and I thought there was a tiger!

He was a typical boy :)
Jolly millers

Post by Jolly millers »

My parents lived at Prospect Road, my Mum at Number 30, her maiden name was Ridout and my Father lived at No 24. My Father's sisters, Gladys and Lily are in this photo together with Elsie who married my uncle, Ted Miller, Gladys and Lily's brother. My Grandmother is to the lower right of Elsie in this photo and behind her is my Grandfather who you can just see. They are my Father's parents from No 24 Prospect Road. Happy days! I used to visit Prospect Road quite frequently during my early years, I don't recall it being called Prospect Place. There used to be a kind of stable almost opposite No 30 where some of my Mother's siblings (there were 5 of them altogether ) used to board in like a room above the stable. Does anyone remember this?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
pollymaywise

Post by pollymaywise »

To Michael Viner.

Hi Michael, I have found this site extremely interesting. Although I was not born in this area my husband's parents both grew up in Prospect Road. (Miller & Ridout families) It was fascinating to see the photo of my father-in-law, Frank Miller as this photo is also in our possession. Your friend John Miller is my husband's first cousin. We knew him as Robert and he would have been about 7 or 8 when we married in 1959. He was there with his Mum, Dad and sister Sheila.. I remember he wanted to play musical chairs probably becoming bored with the dancing!!
Sadly we have lost touch with John and it is interesting that he still lives in the area.
We have more photos taken in the back gardens of Prospect Road are there any instructions on the site for uploading?
We also have several books presented to Mona Ridout by Sydenham Hill Road School for her attendance, punctuality and good work .(years 1923,24,25) and another presented by St Philips Church for 'junior catechism'
Frank Miller and Dorothy Mona Ridout were married at St Philips in July 1935 and my husband was christened there.
jonnymiller

Post by jonnymiller »

I was alerted to the forum and am coming in now as I can see there's been a few historical errors .- Frank Miller was actually my Dads eldest brother; my Father was Fred Miller. (photo below, pictured c 1968-69).

Robert was indeed Robert John (b 1952). In the late 1950s there was just Robert and Sheila; but I was the last child; John; born a bit later.

I am still about in the area but Robert and Sheila moved away from London many years ago.

I'm going to try and illustrate various family history aspects tying in with the topic with the photos we have.

(Photo 1 Fred Miller 1969)
Fred Miller (living room Valentine Court) (1968-69) by aurorajohn, on Flickr
jonnymiller

Post by jonnymiller »

Here are Sheila and Robert as you may recall them in the 1950s; probably pre 1959 though.

(Photo 2 Sheila and Robert Miller 1950s)
Sheila & Robert Miller (1950s) by aurorajohn, on Flickr
jonnymiller

Post by jonnymiller »

This is the most handy photo to hand showing the three of us. As with Dad, this is c. 1969. Bob is on the left and both he and Sheila are older. I'm in the middle.

(Photo 3 Bob, Sheila and John c. 1969)

Bob Sheila & John Miller group shot 1969 by aurorajohn, on Flickr
jonnymiller

Post by jonnymiller »

This is Mum with Sheila as a baby. Definitely taken in one of the back gardens as I recall them in Prospect Rd. c.1948. As far as I recall from conversations with Mum; Mum & Dad were living in a flat on the left side of Prospect Rd above a mews or archway.

I recalled something like a scrapyard or stable with a pair of wooden doors at the bottom of the road, sealing it off as a cul de sac.

Dads parents Frank Snr and Lilian lived I think at 24 Prospect Rd. This was on the right side. Youngest daughter Glad lived next door at No. 23. Can't recall if it was nearer the top or further down. The interior had been modified to include a large arch between the passage and living room.

I recall Glad had a black and white cat called Twinkle.

As a friend spotted a Cat in the background, this may be Glads garden?

(Photo 4 Rena Miller and baby Sheila garden Prospect Rd)
Rena Miller & child Sheila In Prospect Rd by aurorajohn, on Flickr
Last edited by jonnymiller on 20 Feb 2014 02:13, edited 1 time in total.
jonnymiller

Post by jonnymiller »

I think this is Mandy with David (baby); and that they were Teds children? I had recollection of them slightly older waving goodbye to me inside the downstairs window of an old house in Grove Park. In my minds eye this was on the left side of the road leading down to Grove Park station and Lewisham Crematorium.

The memory would be from the 1963-65 period at a guess.

(Photo 5 possibly Mandy and David Miller)
Possibly David & Mandy (Fred Millers brothers children) by aurorajohn, on Flickr
Last edited by jonnymiller on 20 Feb 2014 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
jonnymiller

Post by jonnymiller »

Here are my Grandparents Frank (Senior) and Lilian Miller. Grandad had passed on by the time I was born. Grandma died in Jan. 1965 seem to recall and I recall a birthday party for her where she wore a little cardboard hat.

Frank junior I thought was the spitting image of Grandad. I recall him visiting us after some kind of pools win possibly around 1965. He had a pinstripe suit on with a cigar looking pleased. Mum said he also gave us our first gas fire as he worked for the gas board. Reminded me of a cross between actor Wilfred Brambell and Arthur Askey to look at.

Grandma in her later years was quiet but calm and jolly. She was quite a sweet lady and had a hearing aid by then. The party I describe was probably 1964.

This photo hails from an album in which most photos are dated 1951. If they bought the TV set then it predates the coronation, maybe they were ahead of their time.

(Photo 6 Frank and Lillian Miller senior in Prospect Rd)
Dads mum & dad with TV (c1951) by aurorajohn, on Flickr
jonnymiller

Post by jonnymiller »

This is a Miller family assembled group shot from the 1950s. Presumably inside one of the houses in Prospect Rd. The previous photo definitely was.

L-R back row.- Glad (Dads youngest sister); Fred (Dad); Lil (eldest sister); Frank; Ted (Dads twin brother).

Grandma Lil and Granddad Frank in front.

(Photo 7 Miller family group shot)
Family group Dads family Prospect Rd (40s-50s) by aurorajohn, on Flickr
jonnymiller

Post by jonnymiller »

This last shot is Lil Dads sisters wedding to Joe. Don't know date but 1950s. Can't see Frank junior I am assuming that's Dads Dad on right front. If so it pre dates 1958 as he died that year.

Under discussion with Mum in the mid 2000s we put this name guide together.

I can't recall what relation Valerie was or surname but recall going to her wedding I think 1965.

L-R back row - Valerie; Ted and baby Mandy; Mum (Rena); Mona (Franks wife); Dads Auntie Glads husband; Dads Auntie Glad; possibly Vi, (Dads sister Glads friend from work); Ron Chipperfield (Glad juniors husband).

L-R front row - Frank and Monas son Christopher; Dads sister Glad; Joes Mum; Joe (Lils husband); Lil (Dads eldest sister); Robert (my older brother); Grandma Lilian; my sister Sheila and I think Grandad Frank.

Maybe Frank Junior was taking the shot?
(Photo 8 Lil and Joes wedding)
Lil & Joes wedding (Miller Family 1950s) by aurorajohn, on Flickr
pollymaywise

Post by pollymaywise »

jonnymiller wrote:Here are Sheila and Robert as you may recall them in the 1950s; probably pre 1959 though.

yes this is how I remember your brother and sister.

(Photo 2 Sheila and Robert Miller 1950s)
Sheila & Robert Miller (1950s) by aurorajohn, on Flickr
pollymaywise

Post by pollymaywise »

jonnymiller wrote:Here are my Grandparents Frank (Senior) and Lilian Miller. Grandad had passed on by the time I was born. Grandma died in Jan. 1965 seem to recall and I recall a birthday party for her where she wore a little cardboard hat.

Frank junior I thought was the spitting image of Grandad. I recall him visiting us after some kind of pools win possibly around 1965. He had a pinstripe suit on with a cigar looking pleased. Mum said he also gave us our first gas fire as he worked for the gas board. Reminded me of a cross between actor Wilfred Brambell and Arthur Askey to look at.

Grandma in her later years was quiet but calm and jolly. She was quite a sweet lady and had a hearing aid by then. The party I describe was probably 1964.

This photo hails from an album in which most photos are dated 1951. If they bought the TV set then it predates the coronation, maybe they were ahead of their time.

Hi John It's lovely to see all these family pictures. Your Uncle Frank (my husband's father) would have built the TV
for Gran & Grandad Miller as this was his hobby. Mike, my husband remembers that Frank built a TV for his own family early in 1948 and the first thing they watched was the boat race. Then in May there was a bit of a Miller family party at 19 Rose Walk when they all watched the cup final and your Dad was there.

Frank was an only child until he was 14 when the first set of twins arrived in 1920 Fred & Lillian and then in 1923 Ernest Edward (Uncle Ted) & Gladys. Must have come as a shock!!

(Photo 6 Frank and Lillian Miller senior in Prospect Rd)
Dads mum & dad with TV (c1951) by aurorajohn, on Flickr
lindabmay

Post by lindabmay »

Hello

My name is Linda May and I am the daughter of Lily Miller and Joe May who are the couple getting married in the photo posted on this forum.

It is only by chance that I found the forum as I had done a search for my Auntie Glad who is my mums sister.

From that search on the Internet, I was very surprised indeed to see a photo of my parents' wedding! And it was very interesting to read everyone's posts.

I do have another photo from the wedding which I would upload and send to you but I'm not sure how to attach one to this message. I also have a few other photos from the wedding as well a few old photos from before the wedding of various members of the Miller family.

My mum and dad got married on 21st December 1957 so that is the date for the wedding photo.

I was born in 1962 and my parents and I moved 'north' to Manchester around 1966. Both my parents are now dead and I now live in Yorkshire.

Best regards

Linda
EllenAllen

Post by EllenAllen »

Hello,
I am researching our family history and three foster children my great-grandmother brought up. The first was born in 1926 at 34 Wells Road Sydenham, according to her birth certificate. Her parents were recorded as living in Guildford at the time, but did move back to London. Reverend Richard Cynfyn Jones was involved in the fostering arrangement.
Does anyone know if 34 Wells Road was a maternity/mother and baby home? Or who lived there then.
Thanks for any help.
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Dear EllenAllen, Yes,34 Wells Rd. was a maternity home;it was known as the 'Sarnia' Private Maternity Home in the 1920's and 30's.It was built in 1850 and was originally called Lonsdale Lodge and was a home for curates and vergers(owned by nearby St.Bart's Church) in the late 19th century before it became a nursing home .It was demolished in the 1960's.