Billings' samosas

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
monkeyarms

Billings' samosas

Post by monkeyarms »

Just a quick thumbs up for Billings' samosas.
Surprisingly good. I think the vegetable ones are best, though their salmon ones are pretty good too.
Pleasingly crunchy, not greasy at all and just the right amount of spice. All the nicer for being unexpected (fishmongers & butchers not generally being known for good samosas...)
chrisj1948

Re: Billings' samosas

Post by chrisj1948 »

I think they are cooked by Meena from Fresh & Fruity, the owner's mother! I had some at Christmas and they were so good that I am ashamed to say that I pigged out a bit.

Regards
Chris
Pally

Post by Pally »

They are cooked by Meena.... she is actually the owner along with her husband and their son manages Billings! The Samoans are some of the best I have ever had, especially the vegetable ones!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Pally wrote:They are cooked by Meena.... she is actually the owner along with her husband and their son manages Billings! The Samoans are some of the best I have ever had, especially the vegetable ones!
And thus we discover there are autocorrect cannibals in Sydenham.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Rachael wrote:
Pally wrote:They are cooked by Meena.... she is actually the owner along with her husband and their son manages Billings! The Samoans are some of the best I have ever had, especially the vegetable ones!
But are you a cannibal if you only eat vegetable Samoans?
Pally

Post by Pally »

Rachael wrote:
Oops!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Vegetarian Samoans? I doubt any Samoans are vegetarian, they probably eat loads of meat samosa.
Tom1

Post by Tom1 »

Thanks for the heads up. Had a very nice Billings samosa the other day - now where can I find a nice Samoan?
mosy

Post by mosy »

Well, since Samoans eat fish and veg, back to Billings I reckon ;) Or Fresh n' Fruity next door-ish.

Billings' fish is great value and always fresh but I rarely buy it now because they put it on the scales where a dirty piece of greaseproof paper sits. I've mentioned it more than once but they don't seem to get that germs stop being dormant once sitting in ambient temperature. To my mind, a piece or whole fish should be weighed and wrapped in a clean piece of paper every time. Hey ho.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I buy regularly from Billings ...and observe them put the fish on to clean paper and then wrap it ....am I missing a part of the process Mosy? I agree with you re potential germs if on same bit of paper each time
mosy

Post by mosy »

@ Pally. Maybe they do get it now then... I'll pop in later to see for myself. It really did put me off having to argue every time so I hope you're right.
Pally

Post by Pally »

There is a new fishmonger in there now so that might have changed practice?