Flabbergasted

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
monkeyarms

Re: Flabbergasted

Post by monkeyarms »

Assuming the original poster is not embellishing or altering the facts in any way, then there simply isn't a "their side to the story".

Keeping your stock refrigerated ought to be of no concern whatsoever if there is any possibility that doing so might actually kill someone. It doesn't matter if it's your livelihood: the second you are informed that your actions are endangering other people's (including children's) lives you should stop doing what you're doing.

It's not even good business sense - did it not occur to the manager that the occupants of the flats upstairs might tell people about this?! If their shop is a leasehold, which it probably is, then I imagine the freeholder might be within their rights to boot them out for something like this (something else the manager should have considered).

Did it not occur to him that the flat's occupants might write to the leaseholder?! Which, come to think of it, I strongly advise the OP to do! That manager is an idiot as well as a selfish, reckless so and so
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

mosy wrote: you can't really blame them for not wanting to turn it off before some sort of confirmation that it was indeed the culprit.
But they received exactly that and still refused to turn it off!!!
I think that's why the OP titled this thread "flabbergasted"
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

monkeyarms wrote:
mosy wrote: you can't really blame them for not wanting to turn it off before some sort of confirmation that it was indeed the culprit.
But they received exactly that and still refused to turn it off!!!
I think that's why the OP titled this thread "flabbergasted"
Indeed. Add the fact that my carbon monoxide alarms silenced 20 minutes after the generators were forcibly shut off, followed shortly afterwards by the silencing of the other flats CM alarms.. it was clearly the generators.

My letting agent has certainly been in contact with the property management company and a director of the leaseholders lives in one of our flats, so it would not have gone un-noticed.

All this said, my original post was not particularly to damn a person or business. At the time it purely was the fact I was "Flabbergasted" that any human being would put their stock or takings above that of the lives of people living above, those lives including 2 small children and a newborn baby. It was more the "in-humane" behaviour than a deliberate attempt to get people to boycott their shop. One of the reasons I did not mention the store name to be honest (even if it has become apparent now.)
mot

Post by mot »

Parker1970 wrote:
rod taylor wrote:
Nigel wrote:
[snip]

I dont expect people to boycott them on our behalf, I certainly won't be putting a penny in their till, no one that puts children and a newborn baby at risk (as well as adults) is going to profit from me.
So which is the shop in question? Can you say?
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I think Stuart pointed out earlier up thread which ones it wasn't (Bue Mountain, Kirkdale bookshop, and the DIY place if I'm not mistaken) - it's unlikely to be a charity shop, a pharmacy, or a credit union so there's only one two others left.
the mention of fridges for goods, might point to the larger of those two, but nothing has been confirmed in this thread as far as I'm aware.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Just to let everyone know that you should not be able to turn off Carbon Monoxide alarms. The only way to stop it ringing is to put it outside into the fresh air.
Mine went off a couple of years ago. I looked online for the manual to see how to turn it off and found the emergency gas no. to call when these alarms go off. It was treated as an emergency. The gas inspector who came to check my gas appliances at my flat said that had I left it 15 mins longer I would have been dead. I was given oxygen for 20 mins to clear my lungs.

Everyone should get a carbon monoxide detector. I got mine from British Gas.