Town Pub

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
Robin Orton

Re: Town Pub

Post by Robin Orton »

I discover that he announces himself as
Founder of @StreetLend, @Caption_Me and @Ask_Atheists. Passionate geek-of-all-things, working in and loving London.
You can even see his picture.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Interesting that he has a private Twitter account - you have to ask his permission to follow before you can see his tweets. Ho hum.
michael

Post by michael »

Rachael wrote:That's slightly depressing. He seems to be possessed of a good job, and good fortune in life, but no soul.
I'm told that is quite common in the banking sector, although my experience of people in the banking industry tells me it is not compulsory.
mosy

Post by mosy »

michael wrote:...[clip]...
so I'm sure he is able to hold down a well paid job without spending as much time as we do on these wasteful forums.
These forums are only wasteful if posters cause them to be so. Indeed, since the start of this thread, The Pub has all but died. Why is that? Maybe people have stopped posting altogether given all the criticism levelled in this thread at even existing posters as well as those earlier ones now less prolific.

Again, I'd say that any and all members should start threads that they themselves are interested in. If people are fully engaged (time consumed) in their own lives, then the views of others on any subject which doesn't affect them directly will always be take it or leave it discussions. But what's wrong with that? There seems to be this notion that a thread has to "fly" with lots of views and replies, but it doesn't actually. People can simply post what interests them without having to worry about whether it "takes off" or not. It is chat after all, not a game show that has to go through stages until someone "wins" - or everyone gets bored at going round in repetitive circles.

Katie Hopkins' style of controversial provocative speak isn't conducive to discussion is it?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Rachael wrote:That's slightly depressing. He seems to be possessed of a good job, and good fortune in life, but no soul.
I put it down to the lack of windsurfing in Honor Oak. If only they hadn't filled the canal in ...

Stuart
michael

Post by michael »

mosy wrote:These forums are only wasteful if posters cause them to be so.
Well I waste too much of my time on forum, often drafting responses that I'm too sensible to post. It would be okay if I tried not to think about what I type.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Rachael wrote:
Robin Orton wrote:It looks as if the SE23 forum have found a gap in the market and are developing their own (openly accessible) version of the Town Pub. They've even found an Eagle lookalike. Take a look at recent posts here. They will make your hair curl.
I'm wondering if chrisbeach is a by-the-numbers troll. It's like he's going through a Daily Mail checklist, cross-referenced with the Tory Party manifesto. I find it hard to believe that anyone is so totally driven by a single political ideology in real life.

If I remember correctly, he posted some anti-immigration and anti-Muslim threads a while ago on the same forum and didn't get much reaction. So maybe he's trying a different tack. Would a young professional working in Canada Water and earning enough to pay over £50K a year in taxes (as he claims) really have the time or inclination to hang around the SE23 forum picking fights?
There are quite a few PAID Tory trolls on twitter, they block you when you respond with facts...I suspect they troll various forums in areas where the majority is very low.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Manwithaview1 wrote:
Rachael wrote:
Robin Orton wrote:It looks as if the SE23 forum have found a gap in the market and are developing their own (openly accessible) version of the Town Pub. They've even found an Eagle lookalike. Take a look at recent posts here. They will make your hair curl.
I'm wondering if chrisbeach is a by-the-numbers troll. It's like he's going through a Daily Mail checklist, cross-referenced with the Tory Party manifesto. I find it hard to believe that anyone is so totally driven by a single political ideology in real life.

If I remember correctly, he posted some anti-immigration and anti-Muslim threads a while ago on the same forum and didn't get much reaction. So maybe he's trying a different tack. Would a young professional working in Canada Water and earning enough to pay over £50K a year in taxes (as he claims) really have the time or inclination to hang around the SE23 forum picking fights?
There are quite a few PAID Tory trolls on twitter, they block you when you respond with facts...I suspect they troll various forums in areas where the majority is very low.
Interesting (if true). Given this guy is a social media 'entrepreneur', he might fit the profile. What's your source for this information?

Also, if chrisbeach is reading this, hi! *waves*
Pally

Post by Pally »

Just wondering if any decision has been made on the open/closed pub yet?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Pally,

Yes, as per my post at the bottom of page 1 of this thread, the pub will remain behind the wall.

Admin
Pally

Post by Pally »

Oh sorry, I missed that one! :roll: Duh!!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

My main complaint about the pub as it is at the moment is not that its tone is 'negative, aggressive, hostile, and/or provocative' but that it's boring. This is, I guess, largely because so few of us regularly frequent it that none of us have anything new to say - we just repackage the same old arguments (or assertions), nobody is convinced by them, so we give up. We desperately need new blood. Perhaps the pub should appoint a marketing manager to attract a new, young, dynamic, intelligent, well-mannered, well-informed and witty clientele.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If it helps put things in perspective, I've always found most of the Pub boring. Not because the people who post there are boring but because I'm not interested in most of the discussions and find it odd that they'd be on a LOCAL forum.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I do mostly ignore it. It's a question, though, of what drives traffic to a given section. Sports, kids stuff, local info, they all generate both posts and reactions. The Pub doesn't have a USP to attract new people to contribute. Local people discussing non-local issues. It's not very grabbing to the passer-by.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Rachael wrote: I've always found most of the Pub boring. Not because the people who post there are boring but because I'm not interested in most of the discussions... .
In my experience virtually any subject (except of course cycling) can be made interesting if it is presented in a lively and engaging way.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

If all of Maria's friends contributed, the tone would soon change, and they'd get others involved by word of mouth.

however I fear that internet forums are on the decline due to a lot of similar stuff happening on Facebook. There are many and varied local groups on Facebook already, that STF is mostly a replication of other stuff already out there, in an easier format to access.
Pally

Post by Pally »

JRobinson wrote:If all of Maria's friends contributed, the tone would soon change, and they'd get others involved by word of mouth.
Good point ...but needs a few as lone voices cant do it, they just tend to get ignored!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Another brave attempt by Nigel to introduce a new topic into the pub discussions and to create a welcoming atmosphere for potential new customers. I think we should all be very grateful to him and Eagle for their sterling work. I'm sure it will bear fruit eventually.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Recently I have noticed that it is the rod taylor and _HB show giving short shrift to differing views from their seemingly joint one. Even I, as a seasoned poster, see little point lately of "interfering" as I guess other seasoned posters have found since they're not exactly fighting for space either. If there is a deliberate intention of reducing the sub forum to zero, then just come out and say so.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I don't get the impression of a 2 person show ...however I find that when I comment people are so caught up in their debate with probably one or two individuals, my comments get completely ignored! That's probably also because I'm not usually throwing in links and historical references, just giving an opinion. I've noticed others comments completely ignored as well. Anyway because of that I have just about given up bothering tho' I do still occasionally pop in a comment!