The Woodhouse

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Syddders

The Woodhouse

Post by Syddders »

Has anyone else tried the food in the Woodhouse pub above Sydenham Hill station?

It's a great looking pub with loads of outdoor seating, child friendly, etc. The only problem is with the food/service.

We've been there three times now and always a problem. One time the 'hot' food was cold (as was the replacement they brought after we sent it back), the next they got the order wrong and last weekend we tried again but were told it would be over an hour to wait for food. It was barely half full, the staff were arguing amongst themselves. All over the place.

It's strange - and a real shame - that a pub that's obviously had a lot of money spent on it has such a dysfunctional kitchen and poor service.

Yours rantingly,
Syddders
sophie

Re: The Woodhouse

Post by sophie »

I haven't been for YEARS. In the 90s I used to go for lunch sometimes which was great. They had a barbecue in the summer. I think I last went after they had a refurb (probably at least 5 years ago). We had a sunday roast which wasn't particularly nice so never went back. There are so many good places around I no longer feel the need to give places a second chance.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

I've been three times in the past six months, and never had any problems with food or service.
I've always had burgers from their outdoor burger shack, which are cooked, paid-for and served separately from the main kitchen. But my fellow diners have had Sunday roasts, kids' meals etc and not had any problems.
Costa del Syd

Post by Costa del Syd »

Completely agree with Syddders. I have been to the Woodhouse several times this this year and on every occasion have been told unapologetically there is over an hour wait for food despite the place being half empty or on some occasions practically deserted. The service in general also ranges nonchalant to just a bit aggressive. Such a shame as the place looks great, has lots of outdoors space and has amazing potential, hence giving it so many chances. Unlikely to bother again unless things change there.
lulu1

Post by lulu1 »

I went to the Woodhouse last Sunday. Arrived at 7.15pm and was told the kitchen was closed and we could not order any food. Bit disappointed but decided to stay, ordered a glass of prosecco but were told they had run out... They had also run out of crisps and peanuts!! After a bit more searching they managed to produce a bottle of prosecco but absolutely nothing to eat. Phoned home and very helpful teenage son skateboarded to the pub to bring us a large bag of crisps!!

This place should in theory do really well, beautiful building, great refurb, lovely location, garden etc.. Unfortunately they just cannot get it right.
Syddders

Post by Syddders »

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one to have been let down by the experience!

You'd like to think the owner is aware he or she is losing business because of this and sorts it out. We'd be regulars if so.

Here's hoping...
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

I think the situation must be very different at different times of day. Or perhaps we've just been exceptionally lucky. Because every time we've been (Sunday lunchtime), the place has been packed – we've booked in advance, otherwise there's no way we'd have got a table – and the service and food have both been great.
SteveG85

Post by SteveG85 »

I think that's probably right, Monkeyarms. I was absolutely delighted when they did the refurb and think the pub is great. It's my favourite place to spend a summer afternoon, particularly with the table tennis table. The garden has a really nice atmosphere with kids running around as well which is great, my one (small) gripe is that in the past I have seen kids damage both the table tennis table and the outdoor chess board which is annoying.

My only (major) issue with The Woodhouse is how long it takes to get drinks when it's busy. I appreciate that you sometimes have to wait for drinks if a pub is crowded but on multiple different visits I've spent 20 minutes queueing for drinks because there aren't enough staff on. Having too few staff when it is so easy to predict the peak sales times seems like such a false economy to me as it means customers don't spend as much and consider going elsewhere.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

We go occasionally and always have a lovely time, we take family there when they visit with children and ALWAYS on Christmas morning - its become a tradition for us now. The atmosphere is fabulous that day with people (and their dogs) in santa hats.
Tom1

Post by Tom1 »

I went there for a meal with my parents in late-April and somehow the staff lost our order! When the food eventually came it was reasonably good (though not fantastic value for money) and the beer is good. The garden is of course great, especially when the sun is out, so I hope they get their service sorted out.