Burglaries

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Mcheri

Burglaries

Post by Mcheri »

Hi all

We've been burgled twice in the past two weeks. The first time, they were interrupted and escaped with some jewellery. The second time, they came back for what they had missed out on. We'd secured the house etc after the first time so the second burglary has been so much more horrid for us.

The main reason I'm writing - that although we've lost all of our valuables, my husband's grandad's WW2 war medals were in there and they meant so much to his family. Any idea if I should be looking at pawn stores/eBay etc to find them? Is it all in vain?

Thank you oh wise ones!
rustya

Re: Burglaries

Post by rustya »

where about in sydenham are you ?
did you get a look at the people?
Should we be on the lookout to help ?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Very sorry to hear that . I do hope you get your grandfather's medals back and that the police catch the vile individuals that did this .
A very good evening
Nigel
marymck

Post by marymck »

Your chances of recovery depend on how identifiable they are. And what sort of medals they were. WW2 campaign stars don't have names engraved on them unless added by the recipient. What medals were in the group? If you're not sure and they're all stars, what colours were the ribbons?

Do you happen to have a photo of them?

If there's a gallantry medal or another way of identifying them you could put a notice in Medal News. (I can let you know how to do that.)

Otherwise I'd put out the word in second hand and memorabilia shops, scour EBay, car boots and pubs.

So sorry. This is a rotten thing to have happened.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree very sorry to hear your news.

Very sad.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Thanks for posting. I will definitely keep my eyes open and review security measures too.

I jog sometimes early in the morning - what time were these events?

We need to send a stronger message to the culprits - if they get caught trying it here I will certainly use full force to defend what my family and I have built up over the years and hold dear.
Insurance is irrelevant, it is the intrusion, cultivated fear and the irreplaceable items that matter.

No sympathy from me for these vultures....
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Very very sorry to hear that you have been burgled
Where in Sydenham did this happen and how did they gain entry ?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

The Clown

I do symphasise with you and totally agree with you , but unfortunately the law seems to be on the side of the low life criminals.

Think I saw last week that a home owner has been told to fill in a fish pond in his garden in case a burgalar does not see it in the dark.
Mcheri

Post by Mcheri »

Thank you all. Your words are comforting. Yeah, it sucks - the intrusion is the worst and I've been nothing but jumpy...

Let's see, we've secured everything and have improved our alarm and lights etc.

Thank you for advice about the medals - I'm going to check which ones they were - they didn't have his name specifically on the medals but they were still in the postal box they came in. C Parker - if anybody notices!

Thank you again - first time on the forum but feeling better there's such a community spirit!
marymck

Post by marymck »

If you try this page ...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-camp ... ligibility

... and scroll down, you will see pictures of the WW2 Stars and other awards and medals, complete with ribbons.

What was C.Parker's Christian name? And do you know what the address was on the box? Do you know where he served and in what branch of the Services? Feel free to PM me, if you prefer.

If all else fails, and if your husband is next of kin, you can buy replacements from the Medals Office for awards from WW2 onwards (not earlier). They'll need proof of kinship and evidence of the burglary, such as an insurance claim and/or police report. I know it's not the same as having the originals, but I hope this will be some comfort should you not be able to recover the originals.

Best wishes.

Mary
Mcheri

Post by Mcheri »

Thanks Mary - that's all very helpful!
His name was Clifford. I think I'll have to find out the rest.

Thank you again!
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Burgled twice in two weeks! That is awful. It's such an invasion of your personal space. I hope the scumbags are caught and that you manage to get over the trauma quickly.

Thankfully it's not typical of Sydenham but when we hear of a burglary we feel concerned about where it happened and how.
It would be good to know so that we can be extra vigilant.