old St.Bart's primary school

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Andersen987123

Re: old St.Bart's primary school

Post by Andersen987123 »

I just joined the forum, so I am about a decade late to this thread. An earlier poster asked when St. Bart's school moved to The Peak. I was at St. Bart's from either 1967 or 1968 until 1972 and remember both the old school site in Kirkdale (fond memories of Mrs. Mahar) and the new site at The Peak. I am pretty sure that 1969 was the year of the move to The Peak.
Pally

Re:

Post by Pally »

stuart wrote:More recent ex-pupils may be saddened to hear that former headmaster John Campling died this week.

Stuart
I'm not an ex pupil but knew John Campling. He had 16 years of retirement then. Used to have lots of animals up at the school.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I did not know the Head master but very sad.

I remember the days of good old Mr Bleasedale.
Also Miss Coggin , Miss Partridge and dare I say Mr Timms.
Pally

Re: Re:

Post by Pally »

Pally wrote:
stuart wrote:More recent ex-pupils may be saddened to hear that former headmaster John Campling died this week.

Stuart
I'm not an ex pupil but knew John Campling. He had 16 years of retirement then. Used to have lots of animals up at the school.
Apologies ...didnt notice date of Stuarts original post ...only about 9 years retirement then.
SydenhamBorn

Post by SydenhamBorn »

I left St Bartholomew's in 1968 and just missed going there. So presume September 1968 was when opened. I also remember the hall on Kirkdale which flooded the year I was there and we had to use St Bartholomew's Church Crypt.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes the Old Church Hall was Miss Coggin's class. Fine lady who liked country dancing and whacking students who could not spell because.
Andersen987123

Post by Andersen987123 »

Anyone know whether Mr. Howlett is still alive? My mother ran into him about 10 years ago and he was still mentally alert, if not 100% physically.
Hedgerowcottage1

Post by Hedgerowcottage1 »

I attended the Old School from 1950 to 1955 does anyone remember the property collapsing next door?, this fell against the wall of the school which saved us. Also spoon of malt each morning.