Lidl shut

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
chrisj1948

What's up at Lidl?

Post by chrisj1948 »

The Sydenham road Lidl has been closed for two days due to 'technical issues', Does anyone know what this is about? I had to drag my shopping trolley to and from the one past Sainsbury's.

Regards
Chris
HappySyd

Re: What's up at Lidl?

Post by HappySyd »

Was told this morning that the roof had fallen in and that it would be closed for three weeks.

Neighbour just told me it will reopen next Wednesday or Thursday.

Enough time for a refit :D
Parkrunner

Lidl shut

Post by Parkrunner »

Anyone know why Lidl on the high street has been shut for the last few days and when it's likely to re-open?
HappySyd

Re: Lidl shut

Post by HappySyd »

This morning I heard that it was closed for 3 weeks due to the roof falling in.

My neighbour told me it will reopen next week.

A few people have tweeted Lidl, their response:

We don't have any news to share just yet, feel free to check in with us again in the future for an update.

So who knows.

Happysyd
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Yesterday my wife Mary asked the 'Chief Engineer' how long the work would take. He said a further two weeks. It cannot be too soon for me, although I guess the trudge to and from Bellingham is good for me!

Regards
Chris
hilsbee

Post by hilsbee »

You may also like to know that the Co-op is already reducing stocks due to the change to Budgen, which I was told was happening on 5th or 9th July (forget the actual date!). So a bit of a shortage in supermarket type shopping in the high street at the moment.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

chrisj1948 wrote:Yesterday my wife Mary asked the 'Chief Engineer' how long the work would take. He said a further two weeks. It cannot be too soon for me, although I guess the trudge to and from Bellingham is good for me!

Regards
Chris
Iceland (Penge) do free deliveries of you spend £20...
Co-op in Syd does free deliveries for £25 spend
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Manwithaview1 wrote:Iceland (Penge) do free deliveries of you spend £20...
Co-op in Syd does free deliveries for £25 spend
Unfortunately we are addicted to Lidl specific brands, such as their Cava, smoked salmon and parmesan :-) Pretty damn good value on Tokai at the moment as well.

Regards
Chris
stuart

Post by stuart »

Chris - I don't know where you live but Penge Lidl is more convenient if you are in Upper Syd or Mid Syd with the 176, 197 + 75 bus options, cycle or walk.

Because we also shopped at the Co-op we did Sydenham Road. We have already swopped to SE20 Lidls and after the Co-op closure there will be no temptation to return.

Oh and the 197 + 75 also give you the Aldi alternative at the Robin Hood.

Stuart
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Stuart - Thanks for the information. I confirm that the Penge Lidl is marginally closer to us (by a couple of hundred yards) but unfortunately it is smaller than the one at Bellingham and the range is more restricted; for example they do not stock the cheap sparkling water. We occasionally visit the local Aldi, which is on the way to our daughters in Anerley, but never really took to it. It takes a while to get used to a supermarket, so that you know where to find what you want without circling the aisles interminably. I suspect that when the Sydenham Lidl re-opens there will be a new learning curve required.

Regards
Chris
Parkrunner

Post by Parkrunner »

Sydenham Lidl reopened this morning, I am pleased to report. Slight reconfiguration of the entrance and exit area and a lick of paint as well as fixing the ceiling.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Regards
Chris
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I have never known such joy over a discount store.

Heaven knows what would have happened if it had been a quality store , like good old Marks.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Eagle wrote:I have never known such joy over a discount store..
Get with the program, kid; it's the new black! :-)

Regards
Chris
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Good news for those who have been waiting for the grand re-opening but for me Lidl are the brand leaders in the race to the bottom - by the time we are all on zero hours contracts with minimum wages Lidl will know all about our preference for scruffy shops , long queues , meat from one than one country and random bargain olive all to keep the fully waged on board .
I don't know what I hate more - Lidls itself - or the idea that there needs to be a Lidls for people less well off . The gap in quality of food and experience can now be said o match the inequality of income we seem I be promoting in this country .

A very good evening
Nigel
stuart

Post by stuart »

Nigel,

Lidl may not be the new Cadbury but you are seriously distorting reality here. Check out:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34281559

As for quality. Lidl is far superior to Tesco and even better on many own brand things to Sainsburys. Sydenham Lidl baguettes are imho second only to the Co-op. Which, I guess means they will arguably soon be the best.

As for their booze collection unless you have a real problem with Shepherd Neame then, short of Waitrose its the best for mainline beers. Wine does get rave reviews surprisingly often.

They (and Aldi) are forcing a levelling up of what you call 'the bottom' and a place where well and less well off consumers shop together. Still a long way to go but if we lose Lidl then with the Co-op gone Sydenham Road will be a quieter and less prosperous place.

Stuart
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We stopped going to Lidl because much of the own brand stuff they sell (which is the majority of the store) is pretty poor. Once we got over the 'wow, this cheap' part, we realised that, aside from cheap sundries Tomatoes (which we wouldn't normally buy), what they sold isn't that great or in special smaller than usual packs.

The wage issue is really good news, hopefully there isn't a catch like zero hours contracts etc, but generally low costs means someone in the supply chain is getting screwed.

Lidl & Asda least ethical supermarkets:
http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 58936.html
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

stuart wrote:Nigel,

Lidl may not be the new Cadbury but you are seriously distorting reality here. Check out:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34281559

As for quality. Lidl is far superior to Tesco and even better on many own brand things to Sainsburys. Sydenham Lidl baguettes are imho second only to the Co-op. Which, I guess means they will arguably soon be the best.

As for their booze collection unless you have a real problem with Shepherd Neame then, short of Waitrose its the best for mainline beers. Wine does get rave reviews surprisingly often.

They (and Aldi) are forcing a levelling up of what you call 'the bottom' and a place where well and less well off consumers shop together. Still a long way to go but if we lose Lidl then with the Co-op gone Sydenham Road will be a quieter and less prosperous place.

Stuart
Totally agree. Lidl is actually a stockist of a lot of higher quality produce than many of the main supermarkets. Everything is the cured meat section is of a higher and more imaginative standard than, certainly Sainsburys.

I've been shopping for a lot of things from Lidl for a long time now, and I am a 'remain'...

I would agree with some of the sentiments of the register queues and actually the Lidl on the High St is long overdue a makeover, but the quality of the produce far outweighs the environment it is sold in.

There a few things I wouldn't buy in Lidl, but on the whole there isn't a great deal I wouldn't.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Welcome back, Lidl, from me too.

I agree with those who say that cheap is a reference to price, not quality as the quality of most lines is excellent in my view, plus it has the advantage of the Girton Road free car park adjacent
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree some Lidl products are good . However I would not but a ready meal from there. Marks only place to go.

Not sure about booze as only drink in Pubs , never at home , as a social activity. Can get fed up with Faversham's finest despite it claiming to be Britain's oldest brewer.

Must admit exit queues often put me of. I know they try to cut costs but do not like a long queue at checkout.

To sum up there is good and bad in Lidl. Healthy food is and must be the priority for all.