Req info: view of Anerley Hill and Crystal Palace

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Req info: view of Anerley Hill and Crystal Palace

Post by Falkor »

This mainly goes out to Tulse Hill Terry: has anyone seen this photo showing a somewhat rural Anerley Hill from about 1852 looking up towards the Crystal Palace--under construction--with the skeleton of Wilde's south tower? In the foreground is a pub called The Rising Sun close to the camera (detail). I'm just trying to guage exactly how rare this photo is... I know it belongs to the Crystal Palace Museum. Could it be a Delamotte image? I certainly don't recognise it from the construction series. It's similar to the more distant view published in the Delamotte's Crystal Palace book with the completed palace and Brunel tower, but the view I'm referring to was taken a few years earlier during the time of construction.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Well come on then -let's see it!!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I don't have it on the computer, but perhaps Terry can post it?
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

"Ken Kiss would kill me if I posted it on the forum." :twisted:
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Oh I see- just for the privileged few ( I do understand). Can it be viewed at the museum?
tulse hill terry

I don't have the image Falkor's talking about, I don't think. I guess he's fishing to see if I do, and to avoid alienating his mates at the museum. I've never had access to the museum archives myself. Not doing too bad so far though.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

It's alright... I found out from Ken today that the view is re-produced from a stereocard.
tulse hill terry

well, why didn't you say?

Will this do for now?

Not what you asked for , but it might be of interest.

Falkor

Post by Falkor »

well, why didn't you say?
Because I didn't know it was from a stereocard, since the image does not have a curved border and is exceptional quality--better than any stereocard I have ever seen. The above views are very similar, but not quite the same. The shops on the right have not yet been built. The buildings on the left (Rising Sun etc) are much more sharper and can be seen brick-by-brick, including another stabled building in the background (still survives; I know the owner). But the most prominant feature in the CPM's photo is Wilde's tower penetrating the sky like Brunel's tower in the lower view! It's really incredible!! :shock:
tulse hill terry

Well, I double dare you to post it then.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

You're not ready for it yet...
tulse hill terry

Falkor said
This mainly goes out to Tulse Hill Terry
Falkor said
I don't have it on the computer, but perhaps Terry can post it?
Falkor said
You're not ready for it yet...
So, you ask me in a roundabout way, then ask me directly, and then when it turns out you know where to get it anyway, you want to keep it yourself.

Your hypocrisy would be astounding, if I hadn't realised long ago that you are completely barking!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Terry, I'm terribly sorry about this. I would let you have any of my other worldly possessions: you can even take my car if you like with a full tank of petrol, since it's too big for me to drive. I'm currently waiting for my Dad to buy me a smaller car. Unfortunately, I cannot part with the CPM's view of the Crystal Palace. I don't mind zipping up all the other 10,000 images I've accumulated on the palace and mailing them to you on DVD--just not that one of Anerley Hill! I hope you understand.
So, you ask me in a roundabout way, then ask me directly, and then when it turns out you know where to get it anyway, you want to keep it yourself.
It's a bit more complicated than that...

BTW, I hear congratulations is in order?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-Crystal-Palac ... dZViewItem
Well done on getting the first two for $168.50 each! You got a real bargain there considering the pressure from 1924lineone...
tulse hill terry

Talk about missing the point Mr Gaffney. :roll:

I didn't ask for this image. YOU DID!

You go out of your way to denigrate the idea of copyright, and yet waterwark anything you think no one else has, or comes under the curatorship of your mate's museum.

Please don't offer me anything privately, as you did this last week, especially if it comes from the museum and to quote you "Ken Kiss would kill me if I posted it on the forum."
It's a bit more complicated than that...
Well perhaps you will consider this next time you launch another of your criticisms about copyright, resolution of images, etc.

I couldn't be more passionate about the public's ability to access historical records, I wish that others felt the same - instead of merely competitive and territorial. I hope that people can see that I am putting my money where my mouth is.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Nevermind all that, Terry... When are we meeting up to exchange the car? Somebody from Thailand sold me a stun gun for just a fiver! I would like to you try it out on you ASAP.
tulse hill terry

Not very kung Fu. Forget the humour, we wouldn't be having this exchange if you didn't care more than you're letting on.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Terry, you're right, let's just cut the crap. I know you've got an interior view of the Assyrian Court, so paste it up on the forum NOW! :twisted:
tulse hill terry

Well you just have to ask, I bet you know who hasn't seen this before . . .

[whoops, forgot to watermark it!]

Interior of the Assyrian Court. Ca 1865, possibly by Negretti & Zambra.
Last edited by tulse hill terry on 12 Apr 2008 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Thank you very much indeed; cheers! :D
tulse hill terry

Anytime.