Two people killed in Lennard Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simon

Two people killed in Lennard Road

Post by simon »

Eagle

Re: Two people killed in Lennard Road

Post by Eagle »

Simon

Yes words fail me. Cars are going faster and faster on local roads.

My sympathies with the relatives and friends of deceased.
gurka

Post by gurka »

Absolutely sickening as I use that same park across the road with my Son..R.I.P
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

I was walking home that way this time on Monday. Sends the proverbial shiver.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Yes - my wife took our two little grand kids along there to the Alex Recreation Ground yesterday at the same time. Would have been today too had it not been for another appointment.
"There, but for fortune, go you or I."

Stuart
butters

Post by butters »

Absolutely tragic.

Poor poor family, often wonder what the benefit is of chasing a stolen car through suburban streets.
Lois

Post by Lois »

As an ex police officer I was wondering that.
There were rumours of a child abduction which would be treated differently, but for the sake of a stolen car it should not have been done in my opinion, and according to my knowledge as an ex-police officer.

Perhaps there was some truth in it as the helicopter was going until just a few minutes ago.
Long after they'd caught the driver who fled from the car.

But one would assume in that situation the abducted child would have still been in the car.
Unless he grabbed the child when he ran but I can't imagine that.
If the police shouldn't have been chasing the car on that road they will be in serous trouble and from what I understand it was two cars chasing, not just one.

An extremely sad tragedy that simply shouldn't have happened.
My heart goes out to all who are affected by it.
gerry

Post by gerry »

What bugs me most is that 2 people have died and a life ruined for the driver all because the police thought that arresting a car thief over rode all other considerations.
I'm sure that to pull out of a chase is somewhat galling for the police but it needs to be a balanced decision. Not one police car but two chasing at high speed on a tricky road (at that speed) and at a difficult junction.
No doubt the offender will get a sentence for manslaughter, two people will be buried, and the police will get a slap on the wrists.
Enough said
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

I can't believe people are blaming the police. Surely the scumbags that stole the car and then decided it was a hoot not to stop for the police are to blame. I suppose the police will be criticised as racists next ( whatever the race of the driver). So sad.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

gerispringer wrote:I can't believe people are blaming the police. Surely the scumbags that stole the car and then decided it was a hoot not to stop for the police are to blame. I suppose the police will be criticised as racists next ( whatever the race of the driver). So sad.
If the Met are going to break their own rules who should be criticised?

Condolences to the families concerned
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

So the lovely people that stole the car, refused to stop for the police, and ploughed into innocent pedestrians are completely innocent of anything? It beggars belief.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

gerispringer wrote:So the lovely people that stole the car, refused to stop for the police, and ploughed into innocent pedestrians are completely innocent of anything? It beggars belief.
Err no one said that and why do you ridiculously suggest it? It beggars belief you would say that.

You do know what protocols the Police have whilst on a pursuit?
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

I suppose those that blame the police assume that the thief would have driven completely safely and not exceeded the speed limit if it wasnt for the police. I am not convinced by that. In the chain of causation , the blame must lie with the lowlife that stole the car and decided ( unnecessarily) to go for a jolly in the first place. It's like blaming social workers when. some ghastly parents abuse their child - the ghastly parents have to take the blame as they are the ones that caused the problems. The police/ social workers do have guidelines but they are not the ones who started the problem - ok haul,them over the coals for breaching guidelines but don't heap,the blame on their heads. I know I'd rather protect the police,social workers etc than criminals. Sorry if that's non p.c.
RachelF

Post by RachelF »

Really shocking. LIving in lowerish Sydenham I use Penge station to get to work, so arrived last night to find the road blocked off with lots of the police and reporters. (And reporters trying to find a way to sneak round the back to get photos, as I headed towards the park to get home... The main presence seems to have been the Mirror.)

Not sure if the exercise of trying to apportion blame is that helpful (although obviously will have to be done for a court case.) but one does wonder if a mere stolen car is really worth the danger involved chasing it... but perhaps there was more at stake.

The police in question were presumably simply adhering to current policy. But is the policy of chasing car thieves a good one? I really don't know. Would have to see the stats - what percentage of chased cars end up being written off anyway etc. But clearly the police have to be seen to be doing something.

Anyway needless to say all very tragic.
RachelF

Post by RachelF »

Reporters/paparazzi still there this morning presumably waiting to nab anyone who comes out of the flats outside of which it happened.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

This is a totally tragic event and thankfully they have the guilty party.

One or two people seem to be questioning the Police. The Police are not at fault they were doing their job in chasing a criminal.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I am shocked by some OTT outbursts up thread which are imho totally inappropriate at this time. Indeed any time.

None of us knows the whole story. The investigators will only be starting to put it together and cross-checking everything. To assume the police were in the right or wrong is just blind prejudice one way or the other.

A family is bereft. Lives have been changed forever. People will carry the memory of what they saw. I still see 5 people who died in a crash in front of me as if it was yesterday. It was over forty years ago. The police drivers whether exonerated or 'slapped over the wrist' will probably always be haunted by what they did or didn't do in a few precious moments yesterday. They are victims too.

Leave all the victims to mourn for now and put our own agendas aside until we know more. Please.

Stuart
Lois

Post by Lois »

I do hope nobody here is misreading my post as blaming the police.
I did no such thing and was just replying to Butlers post before it.

I myself found Gerrys post untasteful.

But having said all that you don't know what I do know having been a police officer and unless there were far more serious factors than just a stolen car I do agree that the police should have called off the chase and left it to the cameras and helicopter to track the driver, especially with that very sharp bend coming up which many motorists take to fast.

I can't agree with Gerry re the drivers life being ruined.
He was in a stolen car and he drove it recklessly to the extent that he lost control of it with tragic consequences and I don't see that one can blame the police for that. That was the drivers decision and I fear that the punishment he will receive will be far to lenient as always.

As already said, let's wait until we know more before making such judgmental statements.
What we should be doing is thinking of ways we can support those affected by this awful event.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

i agree our first concern and major concern is for the innocent victims.

Not sure what one gets for double murder today.
parker

Post by parker »

Eagle wrote:i agree our first concern and major concern is for the innocent victims.

Not sure what one gets for double murder today.
Probably community service or out on good behaviour in two years knowing the blinkerdness of things today.