Exhibition on Rebuilding Crystal Palace NOW ON

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I have looked at the website and found that it has relatively little information about the proposals - so I still have plenty of unanswered questions and doubts. In particular I don't know how it differs from the earlier plans for a multiplex.
dickp

Post by dickp »

if they can't move the NSC up to the top site in a CP-style building (which would have combined all of the historical uses of the park, be for public benefit AND accessable to users), I'm sticking with my support for the LDA proposals - trees and all.

Shopping centre in drag - that expression has really stuck with me.
adrian

Post by adrian »

One aspect that amuses me is that the supporters seem to see planting trees on the site as some drastic measure, a step beyond which one can not retreat. Get over it people, it's only trees, you can cut them down, they require little maintenance, don't add CO2 to the atmoshpere (unlike large environmentally-controlled glass commercial buildings) and lots of people like them.

Btw for the nostalgists forget to mention that Crystal Palace ended up being a financial disaster. It has something to do with location, footfall, very high maintenance costs etc. And you can bet that in the grand tradition of over-optimistic British planning they have underestimated the costs of building the thing in the first place.

I somehow think the prospect of a rundown shopping mall on the site with accompanying acres of yet more asphalt (which Crystal Palace has more than its fair share of) in 50 years is less tempting than a series of nice mature trees just hitting their stride.
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Dickp, luv, I can assure you that I am extremely interested in the future of Crystal Palace Park having been one of the campaigners against the Multiplex proposals. I also walk the park several times a week.

My posting on 5 February said:

"The whole Park is designated Metropolitan Open Land, confirmed by a Public Inquiry in January 2004. This is the equivalent of "urban Green Belt" and is the argument that a number of objectors are using against proposals in the Masterplan for housing on the site of the Caravan Club and elsewhere.

The idea currently being floated is for a commercial venture including an hotel and Leisure Centre on the top site amongst other money making activities, exhibitions, events, concerts. There would be a vociferous second long campaign using the previous arguments against this.

Ultimately Bromley Council, as the Planning Authority, is highly unlikely to approve the change of use of Metropolitan Open Land to " a site suitable for development". "

My continued frustration is why Ray Hall does not put in his proposals to Bromley Council to see how well they stack up against current planning policies.

The Masterplan will have to convince Bromley, and ultimately I suggest, the Planning Inspectorate, that housing on certain sites of the park are acceptable. I have my doubts.

If approved, the London Development Agency, with a promise to take a 125 year lease on the park, aint going to hang around. They will get on with long overdue improvements.

This is why I say to Ray Hall "bring it on" and why the supporters of his proposal (I admit I am not one) should be pushing for this to be put on Bromley's planning agenda to end all controversy about this important park, now!

Locally we should not be asked to wait for another 2-3 years (even longer) for a decison about the future of this sadly neglected park. Meanwhile Bromley will continue with its " management"

One last thought - in my experience senior politicians come and go, Planning Officers go on forever and ever and ever...........
John Greatrex

High Noon On The High Hill...June 7th 2008

Post by John Greatrex »

P r e s s R e l e a s e - A p r i l 18 2008

UNVEILING THE CRYSTAL PALACE CORNER

Joseph Paxton (1803 – 1865) came from being a humble farmer’s boy to being appointed in 1826 head gardener at Chatsworth, the stately Derbyshire home of the 6th Duke of Devonshire. Here he began to design greenhouses out of which grew the Crystal Palace for the first World Expo – the 1851 Great Exhibition in Hyde Park, London. It brought him fame.

When the exhibition finished the Crystal Palace was dismantled and transported by horse and cart to the highest hilltop south of the city. Here it was re-assembled on an even grander scale in the area that is today known as Upper Norwood or Crystal Palace. It was a great attraction for many years, until in 1936 it burned down in a disastrous fire and was completely destroyed. Today only a few landmarks remain.

In memory of the great visionary and inventor Joseph Paxton who died on the June 8th 1865 in Sydenham, the Paxton Crystal Palace Corner Project (or PCPCP) managed to acquire the recast of a full size, cast iron, Paxton designed corner of the old Crystal Palace which was featured in the BBC series "What The Victorians Did for Us"with Alan Hart-Davis. Bromley who currently run the Crystal Palace Park and the London Development Agency, agreed to the proposal to erect the corner at the original site of Paxton's Crystal Palace.

The ceremony of unveiling the two towering arches on the brow of the hill high above Paxton's memorial which stands in front of the Crystal Palace Sports Centre, will be held on Saturday June 7th 2008 at noon. Many volunteers have helped to make this a memorable occasion. Several dignitaries and celebrities who have been connected directly or indirectly with Paxton and his Crystal Palace, including surviving members of Paxton's family will be present.

If you are interested in attending the ceremony or would like to know more about the Paxton Crystal Palace Corner Project please contact: John Greatrex on 020 8778 1865 or 07910336548.

Attendance to the reception is strictly by invitation only.

R J Sorell 2008