Sydenham Market is back on 2nd Saturday of the month

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sugahill cafe

Re: Sydenham Market is back on 2nd Saturday of the month

Post by sugahill cafe »

Often wondered who benefits from this situation, why can't our powers that be make it a priority to try & form a strong traders group & unify the area? Have touched on this subject in the past but felt our input wasn't welcome so like many others have given up & just do our own thing. Our arts festival could also be a great way to bring us all together but 95% of shops are not involved.
harrym

Post by harrym »

Hi Sugahill and others

I'd be interested in forming a Friends of the High Street group if others were too (doesn't have to be a big group initially) to see what could be achieved.

I'm encouraged by the voices on this thread and it feels like a good moment to try and do something positive with so many prime sites being developed or awaiting development.

It seems Sydenham High Street has suffered from some bad planning and design decisions, and a lack of overall strategy or proactive ambition - but it'd be great to improve the aesthetics for everybody and encourage some exciting new independent businesses to the area...
Pally

Post by Pally »

harrym wrote:Hi Sugahill and others

I'd be interested in forming a Friends of the High Street group if others were too (doesn't have to be a big group initially) to see what could be achieved.

I'm encouraged by the voices on this thread and it feels like a good moment to try and do something positive with so many prime sites being developed or awaiting development.

It seems Sydenham High Street has suffered from some bad planning and design decisions, and a lack of overall strategy or proactive ambition - but it'd be great to improve the aesthetics for everybody and encourage some exciting new independent businesses to the area...
This sounds a good idea ...except that there seem to be other groups around already with rather mixed levels of working together..Sydenham Society; Sydenham. Arts; Sydenham Assembly; SEE 3; ...and no traders association ...maybe put off by some if the above ! I don't mind joining in if others are up fr it, but am away quite a lot ! :?
sydres

Post by sydres »

Friends of the High Street is a great idea and I wouldn't necessarily restrict members to just traders.

If this was a more open platform I would imagine and hope it would attract a wider audience.

I wouldn't worry about the other groups in Sydenham as this has a sole purpose or mission - to improve the quality of the high street for all.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think it's a great idea.

Again, I wouldn't worry about other groups. There needs to be a focus on the high street. Other groups don't do that.
Last edited by leenewham on 10 Jul 2017 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Pally

Post by Pally »

leenewham wrote:I think ti's a great idea.

Again, I wouldn't worry about other groups. There needs to be a focus on the high street. Other groups don't do that.
I thought SEE3 focus is the High Street...but for various reasons hasn't impacted to the same level as in Forest Hill? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I would definitely support Friends of the High Steet - that's what it's about I think and any improvement will need support from all of us - whether trader , shopper , SEE3
Stall holder or the various societies and festivals .
A very good evening
Nigel
Chris Best

Re: Sydenham Market - 2nd Saturday of the month

Post by Chris Best »

Today is the Christmas market with entertainment from the Crystal Palace Brass Band playing between 12 noon and 3pm on Venner Road Square. We will review then feedback from traders at our next Sydenham Town Centre Steering Group meeting - includes shop and market traders, Sydenham Arts and residents - in the New Year. If anyone wants to join us to talk about a Friends of the High Street group please email me.
harrym

Post by harrym »

Hi Chris

As setting up a friends of the high street group was my suggestion I would obviously like to be involved in anything of this name! It would be good to know what you talked about today - I think we need to create something distinct from the existing local groups which would proactively embrace and encourage positive change on our high street.

Thanks

Harriet
sydres

Post by sydres »

Did a friends group ever materialise for the High Street?

What happened to the monthly market - did our councillors lack the necessary skills and vision to make it a success therefore abandoned the idea?
dickp

Post by dickp »

Presumably they also failed to take up the idea (stated here ad nauseum) to grant a consession to one of the numerous successful private sector market operators who, week after week, successfully run local markets across south London.

Ah well, at least my local council here in cardiff (where I now live) aren't so stubborn: I can choose between three suburban markets every single week. And, yes, all of these markets are operated by a private operator. Because that's a business model that blinking well works!