Delivery office

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
natbeuk

Delivery office

Post by natbeuk »

Hi all

I've not long lived in Sydenham and have just got my first card telling me Royal Mail tried to deliver a parcel while I was out. Thing is, it directs me to the delivery office off Silverdale, but I thought I'd read that had closed - can anyone confirm for me whether that office is till open or if mail generally has to be collected from Forest Hill these days?

I know I could phone Royal Mail and ask them but to be honest, I think I'll get more reliable answers on here :wink:

Thanks!
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Hi Nat,

You'll need to go to Forest Hill now as the Silverdale office is long gone. :(

It's in the Industrial Estate beyond the Station car park, just off Perry Vale. If you park in the car park, be careful as I've seen people ticketed there even for collecting their parcel!

You can get a ticket at the machine (as you enter the car park) for a free 30 mins parking. You just need to put the number of your registration into the machine and it gives you a ticket. Then you have to walk to the furthest unit in the industrial park!

Not many people know this, I only do as I asked the "Jobs Worth" behind the glass screen.....
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Thanks! Lucky I didn't just follow the directions on the card they left hey :roll:
MissDee

Post by MissDee »

2 weeks ago I had the same and I could collect my parcel at the Post Office opposite Natwest on the high street...
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Ah, interesting..... right, I guess I'd better brave phoning Royal Mail after all to check where exactly my parcel is before I go to get it!
poppy

Post by poppy »

Also a warning, if you can only collect missed parcels on a Saturday morning, from my experience a couple of weeks ago, you could be confronted by a huge queue. I had to wait about 20 mins outside in the drizzle! (largely because of the closure of the one on Silverdale I would think)
yummymummy

Post by yummymummy »

wanted to share a bit of good news! :D I received a red card last week as I missed the post man. so wanted to rearrange delivery (going to the new sorting office in Forest Hill with a 1 year old in a push chair and a 6 year old and then carrying a package back on the bus is not that easy!) when I got to work I realsied I had left the card at home so went the post office website. where i found that you can request a redelivery online with the minimal amount of info (name on card and post code) and specify when you want redelivery. to be honest I was a bit unsure that my parcel would arrive on Sat morning as requested, but sure enough there it was on sat morning as I requested! I would recommend you try it - especially if like me your sat morning are presious and you dont want to spend them in a queue at the post office!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Hey, that's positive!

Thanks all for the input :D
stuart

Post by stuart »

I used to be a frequent visitor to Silverdale ... but I have yet to visit Forest Hill (can't find it on my Ryanair map).

Anyway I'm really into the website re-delivery system. Very reliable. The only issue is they won't normally deliver the following day. The earliest request appears to be the day after. So unless it is very urgent I consider re-delivery a no-brainer - and I should know!

Stuart
mosy

Post by mosy »

Just a thanks to mummycat about needing a ticket from the machine to secure the 30 mins free parking in the Forest Hill car park. I must have been lucky in the past as I've normally just abandoned my car there for up to 30 mins.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll read the board properly next time...
Richie

Post by Richie »

I had to go and pick up a parcel the other day before work. Such a faff getting to Forest Hill and there was a huge queue- in fact I think it was the longest wait I have ever had at a parcel depot in all my 8 years of living in London! Why move it? I could understand if Sydenham was a small place and therefore didn't have much postal traffic but it isn't particularly. Fingers crossed we can keep hold of the tardis like post office.