Sticky music thread

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
monkeyarms

Re: Sticky music thread

Post by monkeyarms »

Happy birthday, JS Bach. Here's Isabelle Faust making beautiful work of his Sarabande on the fiddle:
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Hear hear. Here's my choice for the Bach slot in my 'Desert Island Discs' (or, even better, 'Private Passions') selection. You have to listen to it all to get the cumulative effect - triumph out of tragedy.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

RIP

Hearing Merle Haggard round about 1970 on Radio 2 - when this was filmed - is how I always knew there was another America.

alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

Manwithaview1 wrote:
always the sun. plenty sun today also. nice warm :D
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

rip Prince
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I agree, a sublime example of the spiritual heights which our culture has finally reached. But I wonder whether his mother was there in the audience, and, if so, why she didn't tell him to pull his trousers up a bit?
Maria

Post by Maria »

.....and the most haunting, for me.
An almost hypnotic lament - I have heard it three times already. Wonderful
devakithomas

Post by devakithomas »

Heya Folks....its been awhile since we posted here....for anyone interested in Live Music in Sydenham....we've been traveling and planning and only now getting back to our Music Nights in Syd after our last one in July for the SA fest......we've been brainstorming ways to make the nights more music focused so we've come up with a new strategy...our last event for 2016 will also be a bit of a Christmas Party.....

What: Last Music Night in Sydenham for 2016!
When: Saturday 17 December, 7.30pm
Where: Sydenham's fave Bistro On the Hoof (23 Sydenham Rd, London SE26 5EX) http://www.onthehoofbistro.com/
Who: Featuring the music of Kerry Devine, Nathan Dusty Miller & ThomasThomas
Why: to celebrate good music, good food, good people
How: Call Ela to book a table 020 8659 7333

NEW FORMULA: £15 for Dinner (2 course set menu) https://www.facebook.com/events/334435703577308/

Kerry Devine - Soul Folk Songstress from Peterborough - https://www.facebook.com/kerrydevinemusic/
Nathan Dusty Miller - Blues Slide Singer/Songwriter from London - https://www.facebook.com/dustymill56/
ThomasThomas - World Groove Folk Pop duo from SE London via Western Canada - https://www.facebook.com/ThomasThomasBand/

Hope to see you there....we are very excited by the quality of the music coming!

Bless
Thomas & Devaki Thomas
Devi Productions/Music Nights in Sydenham
https://www.facebook.com/MusicNightsinSydehnham/
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

This was playing as I had my hair cut yesterday,

which set me wondering who had originally recorded it, and then about other songs from way back with comparable feminist messages. So here's a tentative playlist, which I hope others will enjoy, and maybe even extend.

This was an answer song to "Wild Side of Life" - which is why it has exactly the same tune and chords - but it was also the first female solo country #1

Not sure if this quite counts as feminist, since the starting point is her being very accepting of the man she's singing to, but she's making a stand for her rights too, which I find very moving

This one is feminist simply on the strength of being sung by a woman - it was originally written for a man to sing, which makes it a far more conventional song of the era

I guess this isn't obviously feminist, but the appeal to the man she's singing to to develop some emotional intelligence feels so to me.

And finally, the obvious, but none the worse for that

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I think someone posted Man of Constant Sorrow a while back - here's the brilliant Alison Krauss surrounded by the equally brilliant Union Station . Having seen them live twice I can say they make virtuoso look bloody easy . I think this (" Alison Krauss & Union Station - Live " ) is one of the best live albums ever made - 2 CDs, almost all them great songs and great renditions of them .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPc92XOC84M

A very good evening
Nigel
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

thank you Nigel. this one is vary good also. i am big fan for them. :D

Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

:lol:
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

:shock:
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

mosy

Post by mosy »

Help please - identifying this big band sound snippet used on Flamingo Land adverts since 2016 and also the current one. Sky also used it as a background "sample" for its movie and sports themed adverts. Anyone recognise it please? Ta.:

Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

mosy wrote:Help please - identifying this big band sound snippet used on Flamingo Land adverts since 2016 and also the current one. Sky also used it as a background "sample" for its movie and sports themed adverts. Anyone recognise it please? Ta.:

I Shazam'd it and they didn't have any result. Sometimes it is just music for an advert. Instant tunes.

Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Just having a boogie. :D
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks Manwithaview1; I'm sure you could be right. It's not easy to determine if catchy snippets that buzz around in one's head all day are self standing or are an extracted bit (unless you already recognise the sampled bit).

Love the Boogie "star jump" crab move. Perfect move and music while waiting for the toaster to pop up.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

And now for something a little more spiritual -