LEGGE

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Annie

LEGGE

Post by Annie »

:)
Any one know of the surname LEGGE? no i'm not pulling yours!
it is a family name i believe lived in the penge area.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Legge is the family name of the Earls of Dartmouth, who have been Lords of the Manor of Lewisham since about 1673. The oldest son has the courtesy title of Viscount Lewisham. At one time they had a home on the edge of Blackheath, in Dartmouth Row. Dartmouth Road and the Dartmouth Arms are also named from this family, who were the major landowners in Lewisham.

I was not aware that the family had any interests in Penge.
Sid & Ham

Post by Sid & Ham »

And there is a Legge Street off Lewisham High Street, opposite St. Mary's Church.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:)
Thanks for answering,
not sure its the same Legge family.
my side were always skint! haha,
all i know is that my Grandfather was called Legge,he had two sons and three daughters one of whom was my mum, unfortunately her name was Margaret! so she was always being called Peg Legge haha.
:lol:
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Annie wrote:...not sure its the same Legge family...
Pity, really. If it was you'd not only be a member of one of the wealthiest families in the country, you would also have a complete family tree going back to 1343.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:lol:
OH? i might have to dig deeper haha.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I heard a story that one member junior of the Legge family called John had a friend who was always scrumping apples from a neighbour with a very fall fence. His name was Adam. He loved apples and was always stealing a bowl full of Cox's from the neighour by standing on his friends shoulders and scaling the fence.

The neighour found out about this and had a word with John Legge's parents. Obviously after a clip around the ear John no longer played with Adam. And Adam no longer stole the neighbours apples.

Why did Adam stop stealing the apples?

(ANSWER)

He didn't have a Legge to stand on.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

I knew a Nigel Legge who used to attend Alexander junior school around 1963-4.