Is there ever any good news for Sydenham.?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
coll

Is there ever any good news for Sydenham.?

Post by coll »

Looking through this forum I am struck by how little good news about our area we see lately. There seems to be plenty of bad news - Budgen replacing Co-op, Budgens being awful, closing and possibly nothing to go in the unit, the Orb retail unit becoming another estate agent, Namaste looking awful, little movement on the Greyhound, Beer Rebellion closing, Street Banners looking rubbish, reduced bus and train services.....
Where's the good news? :?
SepticSkeptic

Re: Is there ever any good news for Sydenham.?

Post by SepticSkeptic »

This will cheer you up. DJ BBQ making sausages in Billings:

https://youtu.be/GCCUqhhIcGg
Pally

Post by Pally »

On the Hoof and Billings and Fresh and Fruity and Kirkdale Bookshop...and a few others ...are permanent good news!!! :D
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I agree - much as there is gloom and doom there is so much to celebrate too.

I've watched that sausage video three times and will be queuing outside Billings from 7am I suspect for a pound or two - my personal favourite is the " classic" sausage - to me the yardstick of sausage making , and theirs are really good - especially with eggs bacon and brown sauce - now thats what I call a salad !

A very good evening
Nigel
Kent House R

Post by Kent House R »

Someone I know once pointed out that for somewhere to regenerate rapidly, it needs to deteriorate first to clear out and create vacant units. This then means there is the possibility of lots of new places opening at once. By contrast, in somewhere that is just about managing, the original businesses persist but the locals don't use them enough for them to afford attractive shop fronts etc. Maybe we have got the the vacant unit stage.

If Crystal Palace can manage to have decent variety, I don't see why Sydenham can't. The local demographics are similar. There must be the demand for more local restaurants and furniture shops etc.
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

Some good things listed above.

I'd like to add that the trains seem to be running OK. The leaves are coming out. The tennis courts are being resurfaced in Mayow Park. It looks like the Grayhound will be open reasonably soon.

A short list, I admit. But let's try to stay positive.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

At least the library is still open in Sydenham :)
parker

Post by parker »

Not sure if this has its own thread somewhere but does anybody know what is happening with the Cobbs Corner Ring o' Roses/Orange Blossom wedding shop on the corner, it's currently being completely gutted.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Yes, pretty sure I remember reading it's becoming residential (flats).
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

coll wrote:Looking through this forum I am struck by how little good news about our area we see lately. There seems to be plenty of bad news - Budgen replacing Co-op, Budgens being awful, closing and possibly nothing to go in the unit, the Orb retail unit becoming another estate agent, Namaste looking awful, little movement on the Greyhound, Beer Rebellion closing, Street Banners looking rubbish, reduced bus and train services.....
Where's the good news? :?
Well Coll, this may not be the good news you're looking for but if you have the time and the inclination, perhaps you'd like to have a look at the little trees that are outside the Greyhound. If you look down you will see little sprays of daffodils emerging all around them. We planted them way back in October of last year along with the pansies as a small gesture hopefully to make our fellow Sydenhamites smile whilst on their way to the station or going about their daily business. Unfortunately it hasn't stopped people dropping their fag ends in these tiny spaces or allowing their dogs to use them as a toilet - how charming! Still glad we did it though as it brightens my day when I go past them. It doesn't take a lot to make Sydenham a brighter place to live despite all the 'bad news'.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yes, there is. The Greyhound will be a pub again. There are a number of new developments in the high street that look like they are handsome additions to the streetscape such as the one next to Sydenham Beds and the old Nichols Blind factory. It looks like the Beer Rebellion bar will open again. Adamsrill school has been refurbished and looks to be improving, the plans for the school at the front of Fairlawn Park look good.

Sugahill have invested in their signage and it looks great.

So yes, there is some good stuff.
Last edited by leenewham on 20 Mar 2017 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Sydenhammum1976

Post by Sydenhammum1976 »

Re the old Bridal shop, looking at the planning application it looks like it is only the 1st and 2nd floor being made into flats, the ground floor looks as though it will remain as commercial space. I did ask the builders last week and was told it would be a restaurant.....If anyone knows more please share.....
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's a good place for a restaurant.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Thanks a million gillyjp for planting those flowers - why cant we all do this instead of moaning?
I bought a box of eight pansies for £1.99 last week, not really breaking the bank is it. Lets all buy
a box and do a bit of gardening around the area - I claim my patch will be the two fairly young trees
on Kirkdale junc Thorpewood Ave - they are surrounded by weeds. Come on whats wrong with you!!!!
Anyone got an idea for their patch?
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Antic bar, Leenewham?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

No Idea BV.

Antic have two sites in Penge (one opens soon which they have named after an historic business from the area which roots it and makes it feel local). On another note, we went to the Penge Pop Up Sho at the weekend which looks really good.

SEE3 should get down there to have a look. It's run by Retail Revival. The front part is a showroom for local traders to trial their goods and the back room is an events space where they will do workshops, crafts etc. It's at no109 Penge High Street near the Crooked Billet. We worked with them on the branding and sign.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Lee, you said "it looks like the Antic bar will open again". I think that's what BJ was asking you about. I wondered what you meant as well. What Antic bar?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I meant the Beer Rebellion (I wrote it after I'd been talking to some people about Antic in Penge, so apologies for the error!).
BrettKell

Post by BrettKell »

SepticSkeptic wrote:This will cheer you up. DJ BBQ making sausages in Billings:

https://youtu.be/GCCUqhhIcGg
That's brilliant!
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

The branding and sign at Pengetout are superb, leenewham, well done.