Proposed new SE26.life forum

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
BookShelf

Re: Proposed new SE26.life forum

Post by BookShelf »

The primary motive behind this proposal - a quote from ChrisBeach 5 days ago on SE23.life:
On Monday I go back to full time contract work. I'm grateful for the paid work, and I'll give it my all, but one day I'd like to develop a viable income from my personal projects. Running a dozen "Dot Life" websites could be a profitable business.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

BookShelf wrote:The primary motive behind this proposal - a quote from ChrisBeach 5 days ago on SE23.life:
On Monday I go back to full time contract work. I'm grateful for the paid work, and I'll give it my all, but one day I'd like to develop a viable income from my personal projects. Running a dozen "Dot Life" websites could be a profitable business.
Yes. What's wrong with that?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Well that wasn't the impression given in Chris's proposition here.

STF was, and is, run of as free community forum with no cost and no income either. Its objective was purely to be of service to the community and open to all owing no favours. It has seen off competitive sites that have tried to capture the 'market' for private profit or public money. This one, however, appears more dangerous.

Do we really want to entrust community conversation into one with such political and pecuniary views and ambitions at its heart? Become like FaceBook where the members were lulled into becoming the product to be thrown at the ad-slingers?

Your choice.
Stuart
stuart

Post by stuart »

se23.life wrote:I understand that some people of certain political persuasion may distrust profit-making businesses.
I have worked all my life for private business. I have run my own for the last twenty-odd years.

I have enthusiastically shared profit-making business with people of all political occasions (actually anarchists can fit in well to some positions). So, to be clear, you were not referring to me? And if not, what point are you making relevant to this thread?

Stuart
Last edited by stuart on 12 Apr 2017 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Stuart, just to make myself completely clear, I do not in anyway think "Bookshelf" is posting on this thread as anyone else - though I think it's the same person who is posting on se23.com under a few different aliases & I have a very good idea who may well be behind it!
stuart

Post by stuart »

What relevance is that? Is what he posted true or forged?

It revealed to me things I didn't know about you which may be relevant as the sponsor of a community forum. Why not respond to the message rather than attacking the messenger?

You seem very good on innuendo. Sometimes I think you are getting us all confused with your prejudices.

Stuart
stuart

Post by stuart »

se23.life wrote:
stuart wrote: So, to be clear, you were not referring to me? And if not, what point are you making relevant to this thread?
I'm quite keen for this thread not to become an unconstructive personal battleground between admins.
I'm not an admin Chris. You know that. I'm not distrusting of profit making business. You know that.
I have asked you and your colleagues to be constructive. You know that. You have been asked some direct questions. You have avoided them.

I have tried to always treat you professionally and correctly. In return I get baseless innuendos. This is not a game Chris. Its how to think out the best way to organise the future of online forum discussion in Sydenham. It isn't personal - because I am not the Admin. What happens won't be decided by me. I stepped aside because I am using my skills and time elsewhere.

Its not something I'm going to lose sleep over. It doesn't affect to me - except where and if I will be posting locally in the future.

If I believed you could offer a better option than the current STF then you would have my support. However in the course of 2/3 days you have moved me from a neutral position to one where I currently believe you have not only not made but unmade any justification. That takes some doing.

You have lost one good customer. Does that not worry you?

Stuart
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

For clarification, P1971 is not an admin, mod or 'sponsor' on SE23.life, or represent it in any capacity.

I find the last few posts rather confusing as to who is being accused of doing or saying what.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Rachael wrote:I find the last few posts rather confusing as to who is being accused of doing or saying what.
You are not alone.

Thanks for the info and have a good Easter (or whatever it is now called by these new fangled marketing folk).

Stuart
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I thought it was clear whose hand Pauline thought was up inside the alleged sock puppet, but I think it's for her to clarify if she wants to.

I too wish everyone a happy Easter, and hope that this thread will not end on the current rather angry note. It would be really nice if the people involved got together (secretly, this time?) and then reported back to us all some positive proposals for ways in which this forum and any future se26.life might work together or at least co-exist in a friendly way.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Rachel has posted that she will not be a party to anything that threatens the legacy of the STF and that it is for its members to decide on any proposal. Pauline has posted that she will stick by any decision made by members of the STF. In the light of this, some of the comments made to or regarding them are rather surprising.

Stuart ran the STF very successfully for many years. As he says, he is no longer involved, apart from giving technical advice. We have not yet heard the views of the existing admin of this forum. Would this be the appropriate time?

This forum, SE23 life, the East Dulwich Forum and Penge Tourist Board Facebook page (and I'm sure many others) are all excellently run as they are. However, there may be, and probably are, many other forums or other areas where Chris Beach''s talents would be invaluable, as they are in SE23 life.

Like many others, I am a member of SE23 forum, SE23 life and of this forum. I wholeheartedly endorse the views as expressed by Rachel and Pauline that it is for the members of this forum to decide, so I shall go along with any decision that they make.
michael

Post by michael »

topofthehill wrote: Like many others, I am a member of SE23 forum, SE23 life and of this forum.
And don't forget about http://www.southeastcentral.co.uk/ the 'super-forum' that isn't.

If anybody wants my advice regarding forums it is that:
1. You can't have more than one successful local forum in any area
2. Super-forums cannot replace the value of ultra-local forums which are focused on a self-defined community
3. Excessive moderation will undermine the value of a forum to a community
4. Forums dominated by less than 3 individuals (three individuals posting >75% of posts) fail to provide the balance that reflects the community and stifles proper discussion of issues

Based on these guidelines I can't say that I have ever been completely happy with any of the local forums.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Michael - your reply reminds me of the scene from Pride and Prejudice where Mr Darcy says he knows only six 'truly accomplished women' and proceeds to list the considerable number of qualities he looks for in such a female. Elizabeth Bennet's response is: 'I am no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women. I rather wonder now at your knowing any.'
P1971

Post by P1971 »

As Rachael points out, I am not an admin, mod, or financial supporter of SE23.life in any way.

Though I have supported Chris's idea from the very start, from deciding on the name to verifying members & supporting his idea to start up this forum as to me it was a no brainer & would benefit the SE23 community which it certainly has!

SE23.life is a brilliant forum for all members in my eyes & Chris has done an amazing job doing this.

I will say again though I think the community on here need to decide if they want SE26.life to go forward or not & I support the majority decision on this.
BookShelf

Post by BookShelf »

Mods are lured with money.
Retailers get punters through the door by vetting them.
Lovely to see such community spirit.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Robin, I would happily say out loud who I think this ongoing sock puppet is (as various including Hillview, Foxtrot, Chippy etc on se23.com) if anyone asks, my main concern is that this person is just trying to stir up things here to save his own forum.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Do all know Steve Shaw of SE23.com makes around 10k a year from advertising on SE23.com.

"Bookshelf" you are probably the said!

And if you are you don't even live in London anymore never mind FH, but Wales.

I rest my case!

As far as I know all monies made from se23.life so far have gone into buying drinks at meet ups. Which I think is very fair for us all to hook up

Just to confirm the admin of SE23.com definitely lives in Wales now
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Bookshelf AKA Steve Shaw (If that's you) give it a break & let others comment. Just to let you know peeps that come to get verified by me rarely buy sweets, but just pop in for a chat.

Anyway, hope all have a lovely Easter.
BookShelf

Post by BookShelf »

It would appear that previous questions have been completely ignored.
stuart wrote:What relevance is that? Is what he posted true or forged?

It revealed to me things I didn't know about you which may be relevant as the sponsor of a community forum. Why not respond to the message rather than attacking the messenger?

You seem very good on innuendo. Sometimes I think you are getting us all confused with your prejudices.

Stuart
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

This all makes for quite depressing reading - I can categorically say that, based on this thread, I don't want anything to do with an SE26.life or any sort of joint effort between those above and STF.