Big Fire / Power Cut

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Video now online:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ww4547ka5VU

And here is the electric station as shown on Googlemap. You can see Sydenham Park top left and railway line. The fire is at the north (top) end of the`station.

Admin
Last edited by admin on 17 Jun 2008 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I really would now like a cup of tea - I very much like my tea...am starting to experience caffiene withdrawal symptons...
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

Is everyone back on yet? Friends in Beckenham were back on at midday. Here on Sydenham Road it has been in the last hour or so. (Not sure exactly when, I took it as a good excuse to spend the afternoon sunbathing and reading the papers in Mayow Park instead of doing chores!)

All back and with power in time for the F1 though.

What do people think about food in the freezer? It seems OK...
Scruffy

Post by Scruffy »

I'm on Lawrie Park Road and still have no power. According to the EDF Energy line, they are hoping to have all power restored by 7pm. I certainly hope they will do as I'm getting a little bored of this now.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Still no leccy here in Lawrie Park. Bit difficult updating the site from my Nokia!
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Was back on at 4 in this part of Silverdale :D
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

oh, and also, my mobile is saying emergency calls only :?
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

Yeah my, (T-Mobile), mobile signal is very low as well. Keeps dropping off.
genki

Post by genki »

Still out in parts of Dulwich - it'll be dark soon...

What a great forum btw !
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

What we need is a blitz spirit style meet up in a boozer that has power!
genki

Post by genki »

Better open that bottle of wine in the fridge before it gets to room temperature

EDF line saying 9pm now, from 7pm
sophie

Post by sophie »

My O2 signal seems to have been playing up last weekend and this weekend so not connected to this. Anyone else with O2?

We got our power back at about 4pm today.
genki

Post by genki »

Crystal Palace radio and tv mast was down for a while today, hence the interruption to BBC - I guess some mobile phone masts are out too
nikki

mobile phone masts

Post by nikki »

there are a couple of mobile phone masts that are in the se26 area that are down so that explains the signal.

Freezers will be ok for about 12 to 15 hours depending on the model... if it is a chest freezer it will last longer and likewise if there is more food in it it will alst longer... if you are worried move it away from the wall and put a blanket around it that will help to insulate it and keep it for longer... whatever you do do not open the door!!
genki

Post by genki »

Our power just came back - hooray !!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

The phone line now says that most services should be resumed at 11pm.
It is incredibly boring without a tv or radio.
Oh well it least it is on a sunday night when there is literally nothing worth watching on the box.
Wish to God we had a battery alarm clock in my house. Mobile is about to die so can not set an alarm for the morning as unable to use the charger. I think a BT wake up call will have to suffice if they still do such a thing.
Moan moan moan moan moan.
Anyway thanks for setting me straight on what happened. So far on the grapevine I have heard:
1. St.Barts school has blown up
2. It had something to do with the Biggin hill air show.
3. There is one if not two fatalities.
4. Arson carried out probably by a bunch of hoodies.
It is laughable what some peoples imaginations stretch to plus I was informed of this by a couple of neighbours and also strangers when out walking my dog.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please no unsubstantiated rumours. There one about fatalities is probably about the deaths from another fire in East London. Remember this happened at 7.21am when one expects the normal suspects to be in bed.

Substation explosions are not uncommon. A mixture of electricity and oil filled transformers is a volatile mixture if the two should mix.

A quick recce suggests that west of the railway line is dark as is the road below Somerfields. Shopping Centre & Silverdale are online.

Useful to have confirmation of where or where not have power. This comes to you from a solar powered laptop connected to the 3 broadband network in LPG

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Power on in Lawrie Park Gardens @ 20.38

Typically - just start showing off about my backup system and up comes EDF within 5 mins! Well I am going to have a cuppa now. Anybody still off (and can find a way of telling us)?

Admin
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

Peak Hill back on around 8:30pm. And that's after a concerted effort to eat as much as we could out of the freezer!
Scruffy

Post by Scruffy »

Lawrie Park Road has just got power back. Yeh :D