RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Likelife

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by Likelife »

Sydenhamman wrote:New to the Forum but reading all this with interest. Can't support the prospect of a potential Nandos and cinema enough!
]

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Secondly, why? Whats wrong with either? The only thing I'd object to is a "adult shop" or another poundshop really.
prince

Post by prince »

Likelife wrote:
Sydenhamman wrote:New to the Forum but reading all this with interest. Can't support the prospect of a potential Nandos and cinema enough!
]

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Secondly, why? Whats wrong with either? The only thing I'd object to is a "adult shop" or another poundshop really.
I think Sydenhamman is supporting the proposals!
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

prince wrote:
Likelife wrote:
]

I think Sydenhamman is supporting the proposals!
Sorry! I had a long night! I should stay asleep sometimes. :oops:
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Yes I think sydenhamman is in support of this !

I'd love a cinema in the area. I do foresee though a lot of problems with parking. It can already get a bit crazy on Spring Hill with cars parked for the Sainsburys, the station or the gym.

No matter what you do with parking restrictions people will always try get away with what they can... a yellow line for 5 mins, parking right on a corner etc.. it will be more the evening and night times that the problems will arise. Remember the Zanzibar nights? I not talking to that scale but it will get busy and congested..

I always thought a cinema would fit well at Bell Green, but I guess a smaller one could be more unique and interesting.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Unlike the Nandos developments, which clearly have some substance behind them, I still haven't heard anyone provide any sources whatsoever for this rumour of a cinema. What started this rumour? Isn't it just wishful thinking?
prince

Post by prince »

I think the chances of getting a cinema in Sydenham is pretty low sadly for there are Cinemas in East Dulwich and in Beckenham. Very happy to be proven wrong though and more than happy to eat humble pie/my hat!
prince

Post by prince »

Spoke to planning office again today. Application for the change of use of 301-303 Kirkdale is pending for there are still issues that need to be resolved relating to highways/servicing.

This is very disappointing. A local authority has a statutory 8 week period to determine a planning application. It is now 20 weeks far exceeding this period. The applicant now has the right to appeal due to non determination. As such it will be interesting to see whether Nandos decide to wait for the application to be determined or take a different route and appeal.
Sydenhamman

Post by Sydenhamman »

Thanks Prince. I have written to local elected members about this application asking whether they are supportive. I have not received any response. Very disappointing.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

IMHO Nandos would be much better placed in what was the old Co-op/Budgens shop. Much less refurbishment needed and a better venue entirely especially with a free car park in Girton Rd a stones throw away.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Wouldn't be surprised if they gave up. Who will bother with Sydenham when they have to deal with Lewisham.
You would think they might use their brains for once and fast track something that will bring money into the area as well as providing a much needed venue for families and teens.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Lewisham Council and the Sydenham Society tend to be the biggest culprits when it comes to change in the area.

Sydenham should be a far better place than it currently is (great transport, lovely parks, lovely houses, lovely people), and I wish something could be done to change the way the area is managed.

No other area would have a historical pub shut for 10 years, and still looking like a tip.

Quite frankly, its a disgrace.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

This is not my opinion but time and time again, either on the forum or through other locals in person I have consistently been told that the Sydenham Society have not been helpful in supporting progressive change and new things. In some instances people have stated that they outright have not only not supported things but also actively been part of the opposite and almost supporting things from not happening.

Again, this is not my view but surely something is very wrong if a number of different sources state concerns that one of the main supporting groups for the areas development are in fact not doing so and dare I say it are actively opposed to supporting projects that don't fit in with their personal view of Sydenham rather than what is functional, different, new and may benefit others.

I did post something rather similar last year but felt again it needed to be brought to people's attention that something appears amiss...
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Can't they be bypassed by approaching the Mayor of London for help instead? Just an idea.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It doesn't send out a great message to investors in the high street.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Not to throw a spanner in the works of this snowballing slagging off fest with speculation rife, does anyone actually know what considerations might be holding up this planning application and by whom made that are causing delay?
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks to Pat Trembath for shedding light on the current situation, who says:

[quote]
"Nando's? For the record, the Sydenham Society has welcomed the arrival of Nando's and has commented favourably as such to Lewisham's Planning Department. Along with others we want to see improvements to the high street and to the evening economy.

Part of the application for change of use to the premises includes Nando's wish to carry out a home delivery service from the premises and there have been discussions about where delivery bikes will be kept when not in operation. The matter rests at present with Highways and Lewisham Planners and needs to be sorted sooner rather than later. A decision is anticipated shortly. Presumably no one is in favour of pavement parking at Cobbs Corner?"

[endquote]

From: https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 05#p156757 11 Jul 2017 09.14am
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What is Nando's

Is there one in Knightsbridge ?

This seems to have even overtaken the Greyhound Topic and where , if ever , it would open.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I don't know if there's a Nando's in Knightsbridge. The one planned for Sydenham if it goes ahead is Cobbs Corner, which the wedding dress shop occupied at the junction of Kirkdale and Spring Hill a stone's throw from Sydenham roundabout.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Nando's should open this year.

The Greyhound, hopefully by 2020.

We live in hope.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

So Nando's moving into Cobbs a lovely old department store I have good memories of .

Not sure Walter would approve , but what do I know.

Surely the Greyhound not going back to 2020 , must be a joke.