A SYMBOL FOR SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

My favoured Sydenham Symbol:

Green Dragon
73%
Grey Hound
11%
Either
3%
Neither
14%

Total votes: 37

leaf

Post by leaf »

Im not necessarily saying that i think the greyhound should be used and im not agaisnt the idea of the dragon, i see what you're saying about the greyhound and the connection with the pub/business but it wouldnt be much of an advert for a closed pub!

As you know im not a fan of hounds myself! i am just wondering if there is anything that has more of a recognisable sydenham connection?
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Juwlz wrote:I can just imagine we'll end up with something anodine like a tree in order not to upset anyone.
a greyhound cocking its leg against the tree?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

How about a dragon eating a greyhound?

Alib
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

leaf wrote: i am just wondering if there is anything that has more of a recognisable sydenham connection?
Fair enough, I agree there should be a debate about it. No-one, including myself, would be happy if a symbol was just imposed on them without any consultation.

Who knows if it'll ever happen anyway, there's probably too much red tape, but I hope it does happen somehow.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

ALIB wrote:How about a dragon eating a greyhound?

Alib
Ooh, ooh! A Green Greyhound

(perhaps with a long tail, wings and scales!) :D
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Gaz wrote: Ooh, ooh! A Green Greyhound

(perhaps with a long tail, wings and scales!) :D
Brilliant Gaz!, then everyone's happy.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Juwlz wrote:
leaf wrote: i am just wondering if there is anything that has more of a recognisable sydenham connection?
Fair enough, I agree there should be a debate about it. No-one, including myself, would be happy if a symbol was just imposed on them without any consultation.

Who knows if it'll ever happen anyway, there's probably too much red tape, but I hope it does happen somehow.
I too hope it happens, im a big fan of people power, but yes everyone who is prepared to get involved in the idea stage should get a say in what that symbols is...or its no better than having the blue lewisham signs.
SMOKEIT

ROUNDABOUT

Post by SMOKEIT »

I WOULD PREFER TO SEE A SINGLE HUGE TREE WITH A LOT OF CHARACTER COMING OUT OF THE ROUNDABOUT LIKE A MASSIVE OAK. PICKING THE TYPE OF TREE IS IMPORTANT.

GREENERY WOULD DO MIRACLES FOR THE AREA.
THE BOTTOM OF LORDSHIP LANE INTO GOOSE GREEN IS VERY IMPRESSIVE SPACE

LOW LEVEL HEDGES AND PLANTING MAY CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH SIGHTLINES FOR DRIVERS ACROSS THE ROUNDABOUT AND DONT HAVE ENOUGH KICK.

A STATUE IN THE CENTRE IS A BAD IDEA. IF IT ISNT MAINTAINED IT CAN BECOME AN EYESORE COVERED WITH BIRD CR*P. AND WHEN ITS THERE WE ARE STUCK WITH IT.
PEOPLE ARE NOT
THAT INTERESTED IN THE TRADITIONAL STATUE ANYMORE. I DONT MIND THEM IN A SLIGHTLY LESS IMPORTANT SPACE LIKE IN FRONT OF THE GREYHOUND OR IN A POCKET SQUARE . SAME WITH THE WIND VANE.
ALSO SOME WHITE TIMBER PAINTED FINGER POINTING SIGNS LIKE IN DULWICH WOULD BE GREAT SITTING OUTSIDE THE GREYHOUND AND SYDENHAM STATION. THEY GIVE A VILLAGE FEEL AND CHARACTER TO THE AREA AND MUST BE CHEAPER THAN THE GENERIC LEWISHAM ONES

I AM AN ARCHITECT AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO GIVE MY INPUT ON ANY ISSUES AROUND THE SYDENHAMHIGH STREET REGENERATION
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

A massive oak tree would be lovely (might take a while to get massive though), and much preferable to any statue/weathervane. But with all the buses, lorries etc that would scrape themselves on the branches unfortunately I can't see how that would ever be agreed. Which is one reason why I think the statue/weathervane is a better bet.

Whatever you do there's always the chance of vandalism, so you might as well not bother if you take that view. Obviously the question of vandalism would nevertheless have to be taken into account but I think it is in a prominent enough space to be instantly noticable if someone tries to vandalise it, and that would hopefully put people off doing anything to it.
Last edited by Juwlz on 11 Jun 2008 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

You mean like this ---> Image
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

what would win in a fight, a dragon or a greyhound?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I disagree with SMOKEIT. i THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE WOULD WANT A STATUE ON THE ROUNDABOUT. However, it will all fall to the popular vote.

Whatever the final format, the roundabout will always be a vandalism risk...except when I'm driving down Kirkdale at 80mph (stereo blaring) and careering round to Westwod Hill at 40mph.

Alib

EDIT: except when McNicholas are there with that green fencing and traffic lights
SMOKEIT

ROUNDABOUT

Post by SMOKEIT »

YOUR PROBABLY RIGHT ABOUT THE OAK AND BUSES . MAYBE A MORE SLENDER MODEL OF TREE WITH LESS CVOVERAGE ....I JUST DONT WANT TO SEE THOSE SKINNY ANOREXIC TREES WITH 7 LEAVES DANGLING OFF THEM THEY SEEM TO PLANT WHENEVER THEY REGENERATE A STREET. YOU CAN BUY 30FT HIGH MATURE TREES FOR PLANTING FOR A FEW HUNDRED POUNDS. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE DIAMETER OF THE ROUNDABOUT?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi - a bit of heavy handed moderation here. We seem to have drifted from a graphic symbol to greening our roundabout.

Can we stick to choosing a symbol first please.

Admin
user100

Post by user100 »

How about a tasteful pastiche to include a green dragon, a golden lion, a grey hound, and a, er, bluey-grey dolphin?

:shock:

I think maybe the green dragon has the advantage of being something old that is no longer in commercial use.

It goes far back in the history of Sydenham as a village.

Just because it is not currently in the popular memory doesn't mean it can't be resurrected.

There are loads of examples from history of people rejuvenating ancient symbols and emblems which became so popular it was as if they had never disappeared from view.

And I am sure some of the more intelligent people on the board can come up with some examples and references, I have to go do a bit of work now ;-)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Smoke it,

I have PM'd you. Want to meet to discuss. There are a few parties interested.

Regards

Lee
Last edited by leenewham on 11 Jun 2008 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
I like the idea of the Dragon, perhaps it could be built as a much smaller version to the Angel of the North?
made out of metal and placed in the middle of the roundabout, it wouldn't be feasable as a weather vane really but as a semi solid statue that would open the door of Sydenham.

( some flowers at it's feet would be lovely too)
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Edited cos it makes no sense anymore!
Last edited by Juwlz on 11 Jun 2008 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Just because it is not currently in the popular memory doesn't mean it can't be resurrected.

There are loads of examples from history of people rejuvenating ancient symbols and emblems which became so popular it was as if they had never disappeared from view.
Exactly, user100 - tartan, St George, the swastika... the list of emblems appropriated from the past is endless. As long as it looks tasteful, what does it matter? I can't imagine a miniature TV tower on the roundabout, it would make us look like a model village.
yummymummy

Post by yummymummy »

What about a roaming cat!!! :lol: