Sydenham Radio Logo Ideas???

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
caseyref

Sydenham Radio Logo Ideas???

Post by caseyref »

Hi all, I was pleased to receive the Sydenham Community Radio Newsletter yesterday and began to think that we need a logo. To bring this great Sydenham Radio Project to life we should have a logo that makes the project look official and bring it to life.

So I took the liberty to design some logos quickly.
Critiques are welcome and possible ideas for a logo that I could produce to bring your idea to life would be great :D

Logo 1

Logo 2

Logo 3

Logo 4

Enjoy and hope to hear from everyone soon...
simon

Post by simon »

I like 1 and 2 best, but all are better than others I have seen. Please keep at it as a logo is important.
sean

Post by sean »

I prefer no.2. Maybe there should be a vote set up.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

A logosymbol/brand marque does a few things.

1. It says 'I am here'. It differentiates, it's distinctive. It marks you out from the crowd.

2. It makes you feel a certain way when you see it. I.e. it's emotive.

Lastly it can communicate what you do, although this isn't essential.

That's pretty much it.

The problem with these logo's is that they do are more about radio than Sydenham Radio. One of the best ways to start a project like this is to write two lists. One with things connected with radio and one with things connected with Sydenham. Sometimes you can find a connection. It's a great excercise in visual thinking to use and one I have been taught and passed onto design students I have taught too.

Keep thinking. It's great that suddenly design is in these forums!
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

leenewham wrote:A logosymbol/brand marque does a few things.

1. It says 'I am here'. It differentiates, it's distinctive. It marks you out from the crowd.

2. It makes you feel a certain way when you see it. I.e. it's emotive.

Lastly it can communicate what you do, although this isn't essential.

That's pretty much it.

The problem with these logo's is that they do are more about radio than Sydenham Radio. One of the best ways to start a project like this is to write two lists. One with things connected with radio and one with things connected with Sydenham. Sometimes you can find a connection. It's a great excercise in visual thinking to use and one I have been taught and passed onto design students I have taught too.

Keep thinking. It's great that suddenly design is in these forums!
Having said all that Lee, what would your contribution be?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I like one and two best.

I like the circles on 2. I'd maybe rearrange it a bit so that the shape of the whole thing was a bit more compact.

I'd maybe make the type dark blue rather than black.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I like Logo 1 the best as it is the strongest symbol. The circles remind me of water but at the same time show the radio waves spreading from the small, core locality. I wondered though, why these are all based on blue?

Whilst I think the circles in Logo 1 look best in Blue and White as designed, perhaps a dark (forest) green colour could be used on the Sydenham font to reflect the greenness of Syd.
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

I like logo 1 best out of these and also the suggestion of the colour green in there somewhere. Any more suggestions from anyone?
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'm wondering if the broadcasting frequency ought to be included? I assume "Sydenham Community Radio" is its correct name, or is it just "Sydenham Radio"? My preference would be for No.1. Incidentally, is it intentional that the loudspeaker image (radio waves?) is an optical illusion that can be viewed as concave or convex?
Andrea

radio logo

Post by Andrea »

we don't have a frequency yet but yes it would be useful to put it on the logo. Also, how would no.1 look with the circles in rainbow colours? ie each one a different colour of the rainbow? Just curious to see how that might look
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'm not sure about rainbow colours. Logically, I associate colours with light, so my brain would do a doubletake as to how colours and radio waves were partnered. It'd probably look very pretty though. Having said that, I assume radio waves do spread out in circles rather than straight lines? (Sorry, can't remember.)
kc78

Post by kc78 »

hi all,

Im new to the site but liking whats going on here. Of the 4, I also like logo 1 best. I do feel more could be done with the 'radio wave' idea and also the typography. Ive attached an idea of my own which abstratcs the radio waves and and creates a circe. The circle gives the feeling of community and unity, combined with the colours, the logo has a fresh and also modern appeal. Be interested to see what you guys think,

It would help if i knew how to post the image, how do i do this please???

cheers
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hello kc78. I'm afraid I can't answer about uploading images, but I look forward to seeing it. :)

Please treat as a bump :)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

To upload images you need something like flikr or photobucket.

Upload to that and then copy and past the link. it works with outube also if you want to upload video.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I could only see two logos,
how about incorporating the Green Dragon somehow?

Dipping its toes into the radio waves perhaps!
something that makes people smile and recognise Sydenham Radio immediately. :D
kc78

Post by kc78 »

hi,

thanks for responses guys. Ive uploaded the logo idea onto here:

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll26 ... nRadio.jpg

hope you can view it.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Ooh, that's pretty cool kc78! Nice and clean - and kinda mesmerising..!
kc78

Post by kc78 »

thanks for the comment gaz. With all thats going on in sydenham at the moment: regeneration, development etc... ­the circle also conveys the idea of ‘new beginnings’ ‘new dawn’ ‘fresh start’ etc... the green and yellow help to emphasise these points aswell as making reference to the green spaces of sydenham. Coupled with the clean typography, ive tried to create a logo which is quite distinct and pushes/changes the way that people see sydenham and all associated with it.

cheers

kc78