Some sort of bar/beer shop

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SydenhamOwl

Some sort of bar/beer shop

Post by SydenhamOwl »

Seems to be opening (or hoping to open) next to the new development opposite Cherry and Ice and On the Hoof. I believe it used to be 'Paperchase Taxation'. There's a licence appliation on the window for a bar/shop selling alcohol.
leenewham

Re: Some sort of bar/beer shop

Post by leenewham »

There was a notice in the window for an off licence.

I hope it's something more niche and not another shop selling the same stuff as Palace Wines etc (I.e. not another a convenience store).
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

From the looks of it its going to be a shop called 'Bottlecave'. There's one in Lordship Lane that looks like it sells some good beers.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I would be very interested to hear kore about it .
Sounds like a thoroughly welcome development and just the place for

A very good evening
Nigel
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Sounds marvellous, how lovely!
prince

Post by prince »

Looks like the alchohol licence has been granted and that it will be a Bottlecave - the same business as in Lordship Lane, which is splendid news. In speaking to Bobwines tonight they are absolutely fine with competition which is great news also.
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

No sign of this yet...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Opening a shop is complicated at times, landlords can be extremely difficult, especially if it needs a refurb. Look at how long it took the Poodle Club to open. These days there is a huge amount of red tape to do anything and councils and other bodies have had their budgets cut to the wire, so it's making it more and more difficult to do anything. When things are privatised, it's even worse, takes longer and is far, far, far more expensive. If cllrs get involved in the mix, it generally becomes impossible.

The only way to get around red tape is to have loads of power and money, in which case you can knock down listed buildings, reverse planning decisions and pretty much do as you please.

So give them time. It can take months and months to sort out a shop these days and open.
prince

Post by prince »

Spoken to the owner of Bottlecave today.

They are currently fitting out the premises and plan to open in the next few weeks.

They are planning to offer the same sort of wines and craft beers that they provide in their shop in Lordship Lane.

Good news for Sydenham and hopefully healthy competition for Bob Wines.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Very welcome news indeed - look forward to seeing it open .

A very good evening
Nigel
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I personally am not likely to buy more or less beer and /or wine than previously, so therefore if I do buy from here it will be instead of buying from somewhere else (probably Bob Wines). But it might persuade people to buy there instead of going to another area, or instead of buying from a supermarket. Healthy competition is good, it hasn't done the nail bars, betting shops or estate agents any harm.
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

Shop frontage complete and interior being kitted out. Looking forward to another beer shop to rival the (excellent) Bob's Wines
conti16

Post by conti16 »

I am so pleased to see new shop opening and shop that are not pound shop or convenient stores.
Competition is good and I think this one will do well and Bobs will be fine. Competition keeps owner on their toe all the time.
I have also tried Clapton Craft in Forest Hill and it has very good selection of wines.
Since Bob arrived I stop buying shops in massive stores as I like to support locals and I like good wines!

quote="prince"]Spoken to the owner of Bottlecave today.

They are currently fitting out the premises and plan to open in the next few weeks.

They are planning to offer the same sort of wines and craft beers that they provide in their shop in Lordship Lane.

Good news for Sydenham and hopefully healthy competition for Bob Wines.[/quote]
sophie

Post by sophie »

Did Bottle Cave open yet? I was in the East Dulwich one last weekend and the guy said it would open on Tuesday. Just driven down the high street and the shutters are down though.
prince

Post by prince »

Great to see Bottlecave opening today. They are selling a range of craft beers and organic wine and consequently I have filled a big bag tonight! Good luck to them!
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

Just popped in and bought some Beer! Great to see it open and looking smart! Good luck to them
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Just to help peoples confidence in shopping locally - I have price-checked a couple of bottles and have found them only to be about £1 more expensive than the big supermarkets. It certainly has given me the green light to drop in and pick something up from Bob's and I am sure will be the same in Bottlecave (as yet unchecked but now on the list)