Sydenham too tatty for Caffe Nero

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
GillM

Re: Sydenham too tatty for Caffe Nero

Post by GillM »

We already have a Costa above Next!!! Which is always busy. :D
Larky

Post by Larky »

Ah but we also need one in the High Street, its so out of the way in Next !
stuart

Post by stuart »

Larky wrote:Ah but we also need one in the High Street, its so out of the way in Next !
The 405 drops you right at the door!

HTH
Stuart
conti16

Post by conti16 »

Dear Rod Taylor I found you somehow on the rude side, but again this is called Forum
Forum a NOUN
"a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged"

I respect your views but I don't tolerate you writing me I want to make fast buck on my investment, you have no ideal how hard was to raise a mortgage and save for a deposit. I run a very successful sales department and I am proud of my job, so your slagging comments are not welcome.
Firstly I never slugged the residents, I brought to the attention of this forum, facts.
Caffer Nero or not( I said many times that this would not be my absolute preference) but I would welcome brands to come in the area considering that the " independent " we all want in SE26 they don't come. It's a fact not something I am making up myself.
Empty shops is a fact and I am not making up.
Talk to people they have been in the area for over 40 years or more, the area has changed for the worse. I was told by 74 years man we had Clark at some point!!
Why is taking so long for SE26 to take off while our neighbours are buzzing? I agree that every area offers different things, I go to Forest Hill for the Horniman, I go to Dulwich for the shops, I go to Crystal Palace for a night out with friend but I go to Sydenham to do very little. As said million times now I firmly believe Sydenhma has the potential to become an amazing area, we have great properties, outstanding school, large prominent high street. We have gone on the Metro a couple of days ago but that article is the re write of the same article was written a year ago. Same old, green area, good values and nothing else.
From the small changes we can aim for the bigger changes, from shops looking shabby with wiring hanging about or news agent having a platform to sell phones on a wooden stool, we hardly have trees on the high street, same trees were promised in the regeneration. What happened to the round about? No flowers or nice plants, looks so unwelcome.
I am sorry to say Rod Taylor but these are the facts.

rod taylor wrote:
conti16 wrote:Thank you for your comment below, I totally agree with you and I do firmly believe that because of people like the one commenting the changes will never happen.
I’m not taking any lectures on anything from an estate agent.

If I went on the Milano città forum as an Englishman and started slagging off local residents, saying they were dragging their heals and that the place would always be a dump unless they brought in English-style tea houses - they’d tell me where to go in no uncertain terms.

You just want to make a fast buck on your investments, Conti.
Larky

Post by Larky »

Do we have a vibrant High Street ? No

Do we have a High Street full of shops ? No

Do we have shop owners (chain/independent/otherwise) queuing up to rent shop space ? No

Something needs to change !
stuart

Post by stuart »

Larky wrote:Do we have a High Street full of shops ? No.
Apart from the rather obvious former co-op how many other units between Lidl and Nandos are unlet out of how many?

Stuart
Larky

Post by Larky »

Are Rod Taylor and Stuart the same person ?
conti16

Post by conti16 »

Thanks for your reply Rod, it's clear that we both have Sydenhma at heart otherwise we won't take our time to reply on this Forum.
Let's forget about Nero however the major points that we have too many empty shops and too many shops that are the same is a reality. I can understand your resistance in chain, frankly if I had a magic wand I would have just independent, quirky shops, I would have more on the hoof or more Raffa but going back on one of my discussion the independent nor the chain comes to Sydenham. So are you saying that our high street is fine as it is and can stay like this for the next 10 years?
My personal answer is clear.
Than you

rod taylor wrote:
conti16 wrote:Dear Rod Taylor I found you somehow on the rude side, but again this is called Forum
Forum a NOUN
"a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged"
I apologise if you found my response rude. Remember, Conti I was responding to your post that said it was because of people like me that Sydenham will never change for the better. If you think about it, that's kind of a horrible thing to say about someone as well, and I tend to fight fire with fire. I have lived here for a long time and the views I express are deeply held. I will respect your opinion if you respect mine, Conti. We just disagree, that's all.
conti16 wrote:I am sorry to say Rod Taylor but these are the facts.
They were mostly opinions, Conti. That's kind of the problem - a few people are giving their opinion and getting upset when people either question them or disagree with them. For example, someone else posted that they thought the area of Mayow Park nearest the road needed a tidy up. I feel very much the opposite. That is the conundrum for anyone posting on a forum - how do we deal with people who disagree 360 degrees.

I don't necessarily think that Estate Agents are always for the long term good of a neighbourhood. There's a lot of evidence to back this up - the break up and marketing of Deptford as an urban hangout is a case in point, but I'm sure you are an exception, Conti.

On a general note, if anyone finds my posting irksome, I would say that I have the best interests of Sydenham at heart, even if that sometimes sound a little contrary. When it comes to resisting chains, the power tends to be in the other direction so it can seem a little preachy. I don't mean to.
conti16

Post by conti16 »

what are your changes if that does not involved chains?

I have expressed mine and lots of them they don't involve chains at all
rod taylor wrote:
conti16 wrote: So are you saying that our high street is fine as it is and can stay like this for the next 10 years?
Not at all - of course I want change, but the right change. I just don't think that chain shops are the answer.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Larky wrote:Are Rod Taylor and Stuart the same person ?
No, why?

Stuart
Pally

Post by Pally »

I "reactivated" an historical thread about a Sydenham Traders Association a few days ago. It gave some very clear background as to some of the problems and blocks to that redeveloping, I think!!