RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stuart

Re: sticky: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by stuart »

appletree wrote:I would like to know who is involved in this decision.
I think some of us know who. Let's put it this way - if Nando's (no personal interest) doesn't go ahead because of planning/delay then there will be an awful stink. Names will be named. I think it would be in their interest to start pushing the other way now before it is too late.

Stuart
prince

Post by prince »

stuart wrote:
appletree wrote:I would like to know who is involved in this decision.
I think some of us know who. Let's put it this way - if Nando's (no personal interest) doesn't go ahead because of planning/delay then there will be an awful stink. Names will be named. I think it would be in their interest to start pushing the other way now before it is too late.

Stuart

I agree there will be an almighty stink if this does not happen.

If planning permission is refused or the authority try to impose unnecessary conditions I will do anything I can do to assist Nandos in any appeal.

And for the record I don't have any personal interest. Its just I like many others, can see the bigger picture here!

All very interesting this. The majority of the time local authorities just deal with objections to development, it's not very often that so many people seem so keen for something to happen.

By the way when are the next local elections?
appletree

Post by appletree »

I would be very interested to hear these names so action can be taken at election time. As I have only been in the area for three years I don't know much about local politics yet.
parker

Post by parker »

One of the MP's that represent us in Parliament is stalling this. Watch this space for their name if this application doesn't start to speed up in the right direction.

All may be revealed and they'll be losing their seat.
syd

Post by syd »

parker wrote:One of the MP's that represent us in Parliament is stalling this. Watch this space for their name if this application doesn't start to speed up in the right direction.

Great! This stalling is outrageous
sydres

Post by sydres »

Unless you have a very good reason not to reveal the MP you say is behind the stalling, I suggest you tell everyone that looks at this forum.

Enough is enough and Sydenham deserves better from a Council that is supposed to be championing the area.
butters

Post by butters »

All this for Nando's, yet a bloody Vape shop gets approved next to Tesco! And has anyone ever seen a customer in there? I haven't.
syd

Post by syd »

sydres wrote:Unless you have a very good reason not to reveal the MP you say is behind the stalling, I suggest you tell everyone that looks at this forum.

Enough is enough and Sydenham deserves better from a Council that is supposed to be championing the area.
I agree. That MP is not acting in our interest
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

Ellie Reeves is the MP for where the proposed shop is. Vicky Foxcroft and Heidi Alexander are the others for Lewisham.

They will alll hold regular sugeries so I would suggest turning up and asking them directly.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

butters wrote:All this for Nando's, yet a bloody Vape shop gets approved next to Tesco! And has anyone ever seen a customer in there? I haven't.
The Vape shop wouldn't need change of use. There is nothing the council could do to stop them opening.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

parker wrote:One of the MP's that represent us in Parliament is stalling this. Watch this space for their name if this application doesn't start to speed up in the right direction.

I've been suspecting someone "high" has been stalling. The question is why? What reason would they have to do this? Especially if it's an MP who doesn't even represent Sydenham.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

prince wrote:
Likelife wrote:Oh for heaven's sake. This is just beyond ridiculous now.
I tend to agree. I also know that some people's public support for this change of use is rather disingenuous.
It all gives me a headache. When a decision is made the reactions will be interesting.
mosy

Post by mosy »

<--- What leenewham said about the Vape Shop. However, why criticise a vape shop if it helps people stop tobacco smoking? The shop itself looks smart, as shops go, and I'll be pleased if it does well as I imagine it will have a huge amount of online competition.

Back on Nando's, if the issue has boiled down to a loading bay length, can anyone find the plans please? I'm sure I read a comprehensive set (linked somewhere in these 17 pages) which included a detailed report assuring that they met all legally required staff and customer parking conditions. I'm trying to see for myself on a map why the extra 2 metres is apparently being considered a red line in planning terms. Ta.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

mosy wrote:<--- What leenewham said about the Vape Shop. However, why criticise a vape shop if it helps people stop tobacco smoking?
I didn't criticise it, that was someone else. I only said that planning couldn't do anything about it opening as it wasn't change of use. I've nothing against a vape shop in a high street.
butters

Post by butters »

leenewham wrote:
mosy wrote:<--- What leenewham said about the Vape Shop. However, why criticise a vape shop if it helps people stop tobacco smoking?
I didn't criticise it, that was someone else. I only said that planning couldn't do anything about it opening as it wasn't change of use. I've nothing against a vape shop in a high street.
That was me. I am not against a vape shop, and yes it looks nice, but without treading too far into libelous territory, I fail to see how a shop on a high street can exist with no customers, unless it was merely a front for something else.....
mosy

Post by mosy »

butters: Yes, I was replying to you about the vape shop having endorsed what leenwham said. Apols for any confusion.

Maybe the vape shop is a "high street name presence" to encourage their online or phone trade. Many online shops deem that worthwhile, e.g. bookies as the most obvious example. You or I could just ask them. The thread point though is still about granting Nando's permission to go ahead...
prince

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by prince »

parker wrote:
syd wrote:We seem to be building a head of steam on this one. Some people have questions to answer. Can someone contact the Cllr for a response?
For those that do not know, if you want your voice heard you should be contacting all three of our councillors.

Chris Best
cllr_chris.best@lewisham.gov.uk
020 8676 9516

Liam Curran
cllr_liam.curran@lewisham.gov.uk
020 8314 6937

Rachel Onikosi
cllr_rachel.onikosi@lewisham.gov.uk
020 8314 9957

Just wondering whether anyone else has written to their local councillors about this?

Cllr Best has kindly responded to my emails, however despite writing to Cllr Curran three times and twice to Cllr Onikosi I have not received a response from either.

I am sure everyone doesn't need reminding that 301-303 Kirkdale is one of the largest units in the town centre that currently sits empty, alongside the large unit that KFH was supposedly seeking to occupy and of course the former Coop store.

I personally really don't understand how in light of three of the largest units in the town centre being vacant and an increasing number of smaller units becoming empty, that more doesn't seem to be being done to encourage investment.

A good start might be to approve an application for a company who is waiting in the wings (33 weeks and still no decision)!

Or are we all content to just wait and leave them vacant until such time as they are filled by the likes of M&S, Waitrose and some upmarket deli, for if we are, we might be waiting for quite some time!
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Anyone have connections with our local papers or Evening Standard? Possibly pick up the story of what vested interest the council has in objecting?
Is there anything criminal going on as I see no real reason to object to something that will benefit the area commercially as well as providing a great place for families to go.

I’m just pointing out the elephant in the room
prince

Post by prince »

Eight months and counting and yet still no decision from the Local planning authority on what should be a simple change of use.

This is now four times longer than it should take to determine the application.
syd

Post by syd »

prince wrote:Eight months and counting and yet still no decision from the Local planning authority on what should be a simple change of use.

This is now four times longer than it should take to determine the application.
Well this is now expected. I'll contact Nando's for some info and send it to Cllr Best.