Crystal Palace Winter Wonderland

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
owlwise

Crystal Palace Winter Wonderland

Post by owlwise »

bjc

Re: Crystal Palace Winter Wonderland

Post by bjc »

Don't click

#stopfundinghate
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Don't know what you mean by #stopfundinghate. What is the context of your comment when advising to not click on the link?

If it's cancelled then local people should know about it.

Do you know anything different? If so, please share.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Owl wise - if it helps , " stop funding hate " is what happens when the middle classes run out of things to be angry about .
It's a campaign to dissuade businesses, notably John Lewis , from placing adverts with newspapers that hold different views . They have targeted the Sun and the Mail but presumably any journal that holds the " wrong " views .
Imagine a group of Mussolini book-burning types but dressed up as defenders of feeedom and diversity, calling others fascists whilst deciding what papers they can read and you're pretty much there .
My neighbour enjoyed the event and she particularly loved the opportunity to see the Victorian subway , which is of course , quite beautiful .

A very good evening
Nigel
bjc

Post by bjc »

I could have written jft96.
Spent 20 yrs in London gently persuading all classes of people not to buy that rag.

Go on. Laugh that one off as a middle class snowflake group.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

For more info on the 'Stop Funding hate' campaign:

https://stopfundinghate.org.uk/about-th ... ate-crime/

Many hate the Sun because of how it acted around Hillsborough and phone hacking. It's always been a rag, as has the Mail (which supported Hitler back in the day, so it has a history of this sort of stuff).

I think much of our Tabloid press is pretty disgusting, on all sides. The Mirror, Mail, Sun, Star, Express are not great examples of journalism. Some of the stories in the more 'quality' papers leave a lot to be desired too. But overall, the Mail and Sun are among the lowest of the low. The Mail is notorious for misleading people regarding medical papers, both seem to be campaigning against climate change. They are the 'Fox News' of the British press.

Wonderland in CP is now closed. It had mixed reviews from people on Facebook (not as bad as the papers made it out to be though and snow on ice skating rinks is an issue). Hopefully it can learn and come back bigger and stronger next year. If you are thinking of going to the one in Greenwich, don't. That one really was terrible. And I'm not alone in thinking that: https://www.seetickets.com/tour/greenwi ... e-festival
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I rarely read it. I pick up bits from the Sun, Mirror and mail in cafes etc. I can't believe the Guardian is as bad as those. Or are you saying it's as bad as the Mail?
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I went to this last Sat evening and was really disappointed to find that it was just a fun fair with a few stalls. I didn't even see the ice rink.
At least when I went the matting was still fairly dry and mud free.
parker

Post by parker »

Next time I see a Guardian link posted on here I could say #stopnormalisingterrorism

Works both ways, right?
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

I was only too glad to know it was a bit of a wash-out as we were going next week. Stop Funding Hate?
I dont get it and all the arguments in the world would not persuade me otherwise. Get your teeth into
something a bit more worthwhile instead of telling people what they should and shouldnt read.
However. Victorian subway? Where is it?
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Middle class snowflake group? People who live in class consciousness shouldnt throw
stereotypes.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

sherlomi wrote: Victorian subway? Where is it?
It goes under Crystal Palace parade.
Well worth visiting when it is open.
http://www.cpsubway.org.uk/
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Thanks for that Syd-gal.