New yoga studio?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
TredownMan

New yoga studio?

Post by TredownMan »

A planning application has been lodged to convert the disused Ladbroke's shop on Sydenham Road into a MoreYoga studio.

http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_92996
Ronski

Re: New yoga studio?

Post by Ronski »

Looks like they have a few other studios as well.

https://www.moreyoga.co.uk/studios/
JamesSyd

Post by JamesSyd »

Great to see an organisation like this trying to invest in Sydenham. Let's hope that it doesn't fall victim to the usual well intended obstruction...
PilatesYogaAdam

Post by PilatesYogaAdam »

Obviously I have some mixed feelings about this. Along with 3 or 4 over locally based independent teachers teaching at The Sydenham Centre this could potentially be quite a threat to our livelihoods and what Lewisham Council are trying to achieve in the downstairs part of the Sydenham Centre with its focus on health and wellbeing. This is just a few doors down the high street away from the proposed development.
On the flip side, standing aside from my own self interest and concerns, I can see how it would be just the type of thing Sydenham starts attracting and might need as it gentrifies.
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

JamesSyd wrote:Great to see an organisation like this trying to invest in Sydenham. Let's hope that it doesn't fall victim to the usual well intended obstruction...
Yes - perhaps if everyone in favour, even if they might not use it themselves, left a comment on the planning application website that might smooth things along. So often it’s only the hostile views that get heard by planning officers because supporters don’t speak up.
prince

Post by prince »

TredownMan wrote:
JamesSyd wrote:Great to see an organisation like this trying to invest in Sydenham. Let's hope that it doesn't fall victim to the usual well intended obstruction...
Yes - perhaps if everyone in favour, even if they might not use it themselves, left a comment on the planning application website that might smooth things along. So often it’s only the hostile views that get heard by planning officers because supporters don’t speak up.
I fully support the change of use and have made representations accordingly.
Larky

Post by Larky »

Great, look forward to this
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

So excited about this! For a whole host of reasons - yoga!, location, something different for the high street, something that may bring people from surrounding areas to the area which could benefit other businessss - there is no similar full-time studio around FH station, Syd or Penge and CP has a few that are much more expensive from what I can see.

Would suggest anyone who feels this is also a positive to not only leave a positive comment on the lewisham council website but also to email moreyoga to show your support! :)
Larky

Post by Larky »

Have emailed more yoga, cant work out how to email Lewisham planning

Cant wait
TWalks

Post by TWalks »

I emailed them today. They are aiming for a March/April opening.
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

JMLF wrote:So excited about this! For a whole host of reasons - yoga!, location, something different for the high street, something that may bring people from surrounding areas to the area which could benefit other businessss - there is no similar full-time studio around FH station, Syd or Penge and CP has a few that are much more expensive from what I can see.

Would suggest anyone who feels this is also a positive to not only leave a positive comment on the lewisham council website but also to email moreyoga to show your support! :)
I wholeheartedly agree!
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Just to keep people updated (as I’ve slowly been getting unfit/fat awaiting this studio to open lol) the studio is waiting on Lewisham council planning permission decision on Feb 15th. Should that be successful they intend to aim for a mid March opening...
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

Thanks for the update! fingers crossed.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

No need to wait for the studio opening to do yoga in Sydenham / Forest Hill. Lots on at the Sydenham Centre on many days - for certain 19:30 on Wednesday evenings. Also at Forest Hill Pools on Monday night at 20:15. There's lots of other sessions as well.

So no validity to use Lewisham Planning as a reason for not getting on with things - nice try though :-)
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I know there is stuff around! From Sydenham tennis club to Sydenham Centre to the church to forest hill pools, I’ve tried most of them and are aware of them all pretty much! Was just trying to lighten the message without sending like a pushy yoga preacher! ;)
All being well this will be more convenient (both times and distance) for me personally so there will actually be no excuses!..,
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Given that yoga is pretty popular in the area, this change of use seems reasonable enough. I'm not sure what count as legitimate planning grounds for objecting, or if there need to be some kind of legitimate planning grounds for supporting either - that's where 'understanding planning' comes in.

I just tried to make a supportive comment on line, but found I had to identify myself as one of three commenter types - 'Applicant', 'Complainant' or 'Developer'. Is this some kind of indication that Lewisham's planning systems have no awareness of members of the public actually supporting applications?

I also note that "comments will be submitted and in due course made available online" - without personal details - but it also says that no comments have been lodged for this application. I wonder what has happened to the various comments people on this thread have said they have submitted.

Further to this, I just looked at the 'Important dates'

and I see 15th February is both an Expiry Date and a Statutory Expiry date. That figures, since eight weeks seems to be what is required, according to Planningportal,co.uk

I'm not sure where the date of Jan 4th for 'Latest Neighbour Consultation Date' comes from, or its precise meaning. I notice most of the comments on this thread were made before that date, so maybe that means they have all been officially received, and are no longer public because a consultation period has finished.
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

Tim Lund wrote:Given that yoga is pretty popular in the area, this change of use seems reasonable enough. I'm not sure what count as legitimate planning grounds for objecting, or if there need to be some kind of legitimate planning grounds for supporting either - that's where 'understanding planning' comes in.

I just tried to make a supportive comment on line, but found I had to identify myself as one of three commenter types - 'Applicant', 'Complainant' or 'Developer'. Is this some kind of indication that Lewisham's planning systems have no awareness of members of the public actually supporting applications?

I also note that "comments will be submitted and in due course made available online" - without personal details - but it also says that no comments have been lodged for this application. I wonder what has happened to the various comments people on this thread have said they have submitted.

Further to this, I just looked at the 'Important dates'

and I see 15th February is both an Expiry Date and a Statutory Expiry date. That figures, since eight weeks seems to be what is required, according to Planningportal,co.uk

I'm not sure where the date of Jan 4th for 'Latest Neighbour Consultation Date' comes from, or its precise meaning. I notice most of the comments on this thread were made before that date, so maybe that means they have all been officially received, and are no longer public because a consultation period has finished.
I certainly registered by support with the council. I believe it must be a flaw in the website as I’ve never seen it display comments.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Same here - I can never remember which one of the non applicable options I select l but lodged a positive comment with the council site also.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

TredownMan wrote:
I certainly registered by support with the council. I believe it must be a flaw in the website as I’ve never seen it display comments.
I suspect it is a matter of officers just not having the time, and lack of resources to pay for support from the IT suppliers. Planning departments, like so many others, are desperately under resourced. At the risk of going off on a tangent, see what is happening in

Northamptonshire
Northamptonshire County Council has said it is in financial trouble and is banning all new spending, raising questions about the financial health of local authorities across England.
and Surrey

Surrey, UK’s richest county, hit by £100m cash crisis
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

We've had a few problems with the Lewisham council's website recently.
Tim Lund wrote: I suspect it is a matter of officers just not having the time, and lack of resources to pay for support from the IT suppliers. Planning departments, like so many others, are desperately under resourced. At the risk of going off on a tangent, see what is happening in

Northamptonshire
Northamptonshire County Council has said it is in financial trouble and is banning all new spending, raising questions about the financial health of local authorities across England.
I was born in Northamptonshire, have family there and visit once a year-ish. The Tories absolutely have ruined the place. In my town, the population is rising and the once busy town centre, can't decline any more. Even though everyone who did basic geography knows building an out of town shopping area destroys town centres, some bright sparks approved one to be built not far from a town centre that couldn't even keep its McDonalds going. The MPs which all seem to be in the ultra-right-wing fraction of the Tory party are too busy blaming the EU for everything and haven't bothered fighting for the county. Last time I went back I couldn't believe the state of it, it's clear the councils are struggling. Common sense should make it obvious for a struggling council not to have the lowest council tax in the country - "Strong and Stable" fiscal management and all :roll: . Recently I read most of the local authority areas in Northants have some of the worst social mobility rates in England. It's all very sad to see.

(Sorry for the rant :oops: )