RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by mosy »

I walked past around 5.30pm last night on the on the other side of the road and it looked so inviting. One of those "pinch yourself" moments where I stood transfixed for several moments with a big smile that it really is there so is no longer a mirage of what might be. If that's melodramatic, I can't help it. "Ooh, I came over all unnecessary" as the expression goes.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Anyone who goes tonight - can you settle the LONG LONG running argument here about whether or not the site is too small?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Well I'm sitting here with SWMBO and my first pint of Ghost Ship. The place is quite crowded but I don't recognise anyone. Help!

Stuart
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

stuart wrote:Well I'm sitting here with SWMBO and my first pint of Ghost Ship. The place is quite crowded but I don't recognise anyone. Help!

Stuart
I'd love to be there but I have a work do on tonight. I feel however that it should be your responsibility Stuart to livestream it for us on Facebook or something :) :) :)
stuart

Post by stuart »

I'm banned by Facebook. But seriously this is a time for real life rather than virtual pleasure. But here are a few photos:

The pub:

The bar:

The tiles:

The beer:

Stuart
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I'm impressed Stuart!
I'm still at work (just about to leave now), so if you're still there about 7pm... I'll see you.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Was planning for a swift one but someone managed to grab a table so stayed for a trifecta!

Lovingly done up on the inside, good selection on taps, menu looks fab and for me surprisingly spacious - almost like some sort of Tardis! I’d say it’s definitely larger than the Dolphin on the inside all in all and that’s not including the room (or rooms?!) that aren’t finished upstairs.

Simply lovely stuff
Maria

Post by Maria »

Ahrrrg - I didn't make it and now hugely regretting it. But thank you Stuart for the great photos. Yes the menu is amazing - and they do brunch....how clever is that! The Greyhound, the Poodle Club, murals, a new Yoga Centre: only been here 7 years but I hardly recognize the place
I hammer

Post by I hammer »

A good local pub, that'll work week days and weekends. Nigel Farage would appreciate the selection of well poured ales. Sydenham should be proud of itself.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I think a vote of thanks to the Sydenham Society and Chris Best would not go amiss .
Without them Puresnake or whatever they call themselves would have destroyed the building - it certainly would not have been returned and refined into what promises to be a very valuable addition to Sydenham .
A very good afternoon
Nigel
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Well, I admit that, on the basis of my visit this lunchtime, any reservations I might have had were unfounded. It's a lovely space, much bigger that you'd imagine from the outside, light and airy, and when the conservatory is completed it should be even better. A good range of cask beers including the estimable Hop Head and a couple from Adnams, and a range of keg beers as well. Reasonable space allocated to the drinking end of the trade. It's really promising and looks like it will turn out to be a real asset for Sydenham.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Went for beer Sunday lunch. Good selection available.

Good size footprint but would guess slightly smaller than The Dolphin. It looked like the conservatory area was being used with drapes around the walls.

Good to see it was well attended - no seats available - approx 7 prams and seven dogs complete with trailing leads.

Unfortunately from a hygiene point of view one baby was seated on the bar-top and one family lifted their dog so that it had access to their table.

The dogs and their trailing leads were a nightmare to navigate for staff carrying hot plates and hot food - a potential tripping accident waiting to happen.

Early teething problems that need to be addressed quickly.

Deserves a second visit.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Good size footprint but would guess slightly smaller than The Dolphin. It looked like the conservatory area was being used with drapes around the walls.

Good to see it was well attended - no seats available - approx 7 prams and seven dogs complete with trailing leads.

Unfortunately from a hygiene point of view one baby was seated on the bar-top and one family lifted their dog so that it had access to their table.

The dogs and their trailing leads were a nightmare to navigate for staff carrying hot plates and hot food - a potential tripping accident waiting to happen.

Early teething problems that need to be addressed quickly.
And I thought I was a miserable, moaning old bugger! Generally, I hate places infested with yummy mummies and their brats though I don't object to dogs. My favourite country pub in darkest Essex has just gone "gastro" and banned dogs. A pub where yokels and their dogs must have sat around discussing the latest news from Marlborough's campaign in the Low Countries and the price of swedes. I don't go there anymore. But I loved the vibe in the Greyhound on Sunday. I thought it had the feel of the best sort of brasserie/cafe. Blokes drinking pints, families with generally well-behaved children, young couples, and a few dogs. It was lovely! I'm sure this is a Sunday lunchtime thing and I'm looking forward to a visit on a weekday lunchtime and evening. But I'll make sure my dog dosen't lick the bar top.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Fair comment.

And you are absolutely right the atmosphere was warm and friendly.

I would hate to think the post would be viewed as another anti-child and anti-dog rant.

Relevant things that when kept in perspective can be dealt with in a positive manner.
JGD

Post by JGD »

sparticus wrote:
discussing the latest news from Marlborough's campaign in the Low Countries .
And btw how are your Essex friends getting such up-to-date news.

I feel that since the Brexit fiasco the telegraphs have been less than reliable and news seems never to reach us no more.