Been to The Greyhound yet?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
El Cid

Been to The Greyhound yet?

Post by El Cid »

Has anyone been to The Greyhound yet? It was rammed on Friday night and equally busy when I walked past last night. I'm hoping to go this week. I think it looks great, and gives Cobbs Corner a real lift.
Mayowthorpe

Re: Been to The Greyhound yet?

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Check out the pinned topic at the top of the forum.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Sure have. It's really good.
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Went in last night and very much liked the place. Bigger than it looks inside and staff were very friendly. Thumbs up from me.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I tried on Friday, but there was a queue, so I went home. A group of six of us went in on Saturday night, saw a few people I knew as well in there. noted a few very nice, unusual beers on tap. It was very warm in there, but to be fair I had 6 layers on, and as we didn't have a table till later, there was nowhere to hang our scarves, coats, jumpers etc. 3 and a half pints of Adnams Broadsword (or Broadstairs, or Broadside or something), and I was quite merry.
When we drove past on Sunday it looked busy, as it did on Monday afternoon too.
looks like a great new addition to the High St, now lets hope that all those who campaigned to get it re-opened will now use it, to keep it open.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Have a table booked for me and some friends at the end of March. ( I moved to East Sussex 6 years ago). The Greyhound has had very good reviews, as has the owners other pubs.
I am confident it will prove a worthwhile visit to south east London, and my old stomping ground.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Personally I find booking of tables annoying. I was in there about 8.30 on Sunday night and had to stand because two tables still had Reserved signs on them.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Yep gets a thumbs up from us. Went in this evening having reserved a table for 7.30pm. Nice warm welcome from the Manager (?). Food was delicious, piping hot and no complaints at all. Lovely vibe, very buzzy. Staff helpful and friendly. We've waited a long time for this moment and can honestly say it was worth the wait. Long may it continue.. Just an observation - please can the smokers step away from the main front door. Not nice having to walk through a haze of cigarette smoke to get through the front door.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

When are they going to complete the build? I went last weekend and saw no sign for toilet from side of of bar I was stood, ended up upstairs in the building site. Is the upstairs opening up? It looked like it might be, two cubicles up there and a very dirty room.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

The toilets are downstairs, probably the other side of the bar from where you were. They wouldn't have been able to open without working toilets !
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

Went on Saturday with our dog and had lunch in the bar. Looks great inside and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I was very glad they had my favourite fevertree elderflower tonic! The food was brilliant (highly reccomend the chicken burger). Not normally that impressed by pub food but it really was delicious!
Looking forward to the seating out the front in the summer.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Having left Sydenham for nearby Brockley a couple of years ago, I couldn't resist checking out the bar that was a relentlessly hot topic/potato of conversation ever since I first moved to Sydenham (about 10 years ago). In fact I remember having a pint in the 'old' Greyhound - and although that would have been in 2005, I remember it feeling more like 1985 in there.

Have to say I was very impressed - the décor was just right and it was (on a snowy Thursday) packed. We ate good food and I thought about how silly it was that people have had to wait that long - but I'd say it was worth the wait.

In fact, it really helps to tidy that end of the high street up a bit - I think other 'better' businesses will follow, and Sydenham will continue to improve.

Nice one Sydders - pleased for you. You can take the boy out of Sydenham and all that ...
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Said it would be worth a second visit.

Got there Wednesday evening - good atmosphere, very friendly welcome and very good service.

And obviously settling into a good routine.

Well done all.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Had a really excellent Sunday lunch at the Greyhound today. It was packed but the service was prompt and the food hot and delicious. The way the old tiles have been reused is really effective. The atmosphere was really buzzing and once the conservatory is completed, the interior space will be more than ample.
nicknack

Post by nicknack »

Rachael wrote:once the conservatory is completed, the interior space will be more than ample.

you do realise the 'conservatory' (really just an extension to the main room) is there already, and just needs windows putting in? So there won't actually be more interior space.

My main thoughts are
- good selection of proper ales, eg Broadside
- the dining area makes it feel very gastro pub & almost like a restaurant, with just a small 'pub' bit on the right (food was good though)
- there aren't really any cosy corners to just have a drink & while away the time
- still a great addition to Sydenham, saves having to go to Forest Hill or CP
parker

Post by parker »

nicknack wrote:
Rachael wrote:once the conservatory is completed, the interior space will be more than ample.

you do realise the 'conservatory' (really just an extension to the main room) is there already, and just needs windows putting in? So there won't actually be more interior space.
They have actually cordoned off the ‘extension’ restaurant area inside so the pub isn’t the same amount of floor space it was weeks ago, maybe they’re finally putting the windows in.
nicknack

Post by nicknack »

parker wrote:They have actually cordoned off the ‘extension’ restaurant area inside so the pub isn’t the same amount of floor space it was weeks ago, maybe they’re finally putting the windows in.
I hadn't realised that, they hadn't cordoned it off when I popped in on Saturday. It'll be great when they put the windows in! :D
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Yes. Finally made it last night for a G&T at the bar and a quick bite.
Great atmosphere. Agree layout will likely improve when fully established and they are clearer on what’s trading well.
Need a door closer on that front door, and to sort the ventilation out ( condensation forming in windows) but decor was great.

Food was fresh and very tasty.
Service was excellent.

Would like to see a few more lighter reds on the wine list and definitely a cheaper bottle of champagne and a decent Cava (and to buy by the glass)
Prosecco is too sweet and is not a substitute imo.
Currently they only have Pol Roger at £100 a bottle, so clearly not a market they are looking to encourage. Might be as Short on fridge space.

All in - loved it. Great addition to Sydenham and will frequent. I love the fact that we can now do a very respectable pub crawl locally.
SydLowe

Post by SydLowe »

I had a disappointing experience at the greyhound on saturday. Went for lunch, managed to get a table, was told there was a 40 minute wait for food. Ok, no problem I thought, as they were obviously busy.

After waiting at least 10 minutes to eventually manage to flag down a waitrerss I was told they were not accepting orders for food for another 20 minutes as they were too busy.

Decided to leave and go to the dolphin instead. Had to negotiate a guantlet of prams before managing to escape.

I don't think this pub know what it wants to be yet, and certainly is not ready to function properly at present.

Deflated.
Andwar

Post by Andwar »

I agree that the Greyhound is still finding its feet. The new bay windows look good and bring in much more light.

As for food, we've given up unless we book a table 6 months in advance (Easyjet style) and then to be prepared to wait for hours.

What they should do is this, if the kitchen can easily cope with say 30 covers, then there should only be enough eating tables to cover that. The rest are for normal pub drinkers who don't want food. Then when you arrive and ask for a table your name gets put on a list for the next available table. The staff can then say how long the wait is and if you are not prepared to hang around you can easily go elsewhere. The Golden Lion does some excellent food and less pub-creche than the Dolphin opposite it.

They should also say no prams or pushchairs after a certain time as it can be a bit of an obstacle course at times.

I am sure they will sort it out if enough of us actually mention it to the manager and staff.