'Sydenham Concerts'

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

'Sydenham Concerts'

Post by Robin Orton »

Another sublime concert at St Barts this afternoon - Vivaldi, Telemann and Bach played by the amazing London Brandenburg Soloists. Glad to see that audience numbers seem to be picking up. Sydenham Concerts 'are in search of sponsors to help us cover our venue hire so that we can pay our musicians' (!). Great opportunity for a local business which wants to raise its community profile, I'd have thought.

(Edit) Sorry, I've just noticed there's already a thread about this.
https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18409
alywin

Re: 'Sydenham Concerts'

Post by alywin »

Mods, do feel free to merge them :)

I believe there's another concert on this Sunday, isn't there?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Yes. Bach violin and keyboard sonatas. http://www.masumiyamamoto.com/-Sydenham-Concerts-.html
alywin

Post by alywin »

I can't manage this one, unfortunately, but enjoy it if you go!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

It was excellent, although a rather austere all-Bach programme. Young German violinist called Johannes Pramsohler coaxed a wonderful creamy sound from his 18th century Italian (Pietro Giacome Rogeri) fiddle,
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

My wife Mary & I both thoroughly enjoyed the concert, and intend to go to the later ones in the series. I was interested by Robin's comment about creamy tones, since I think a baroque violin has a thinner sound than a modern instrument.

Regards
Chris
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

chrisj1948 wrote: I was interested by Robin's comment about creamy tones, since I think a baroque violin has a thinner sound than a modern instrument.
Would that include e.g. a Stradivarius?

I know nothing about string technique, but I wonder whether the absence of vibrato might have something to do with it?
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Robin Orton wrote:Would that include e.g. a Stradivarius?
:-) Stradivarius was a cut above the norm! Different fingering and bowing techniques could contribute to the characteristic sound. I am no expert on that.

Regards
Chris
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Another wonderful concert this afternoon. French baroque music (which until today I thought I disliked) for two flutes, theorbo (bass lute)/guitar and harpsichord continuo. Really exciting virtuoso playing on the flutes/piccolo (wooden baroque instruments with only one key, you get accidentals by cross-fingering) and the theorbo. Audiences seem to be steadily growing. They certainly loved today's concert.

Next concert 20 May - more Bach sonatas for violin and keyboard.