Sydenham - world of the beautiful people

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

But you know what the Woodman really needs? People! Whenever I've gone past there's been a bored looking barmaid talking to her solitary drinker, and both turn to look expectantly as I go past the window, as though they're hoping I'll go in.... if I'm going somewhere with a female friend or my boyfriend, I don't want to go in if I feel there are so few people that every word of our conversation will be overheard, etc.

It does look all very cold and uninviting. Clean, but uninviting!

And Gaz - I'm REALLY surprised that you say the Windmill is good cos it looks awful from the outside!!!! I find it the most initimidating looking pub in the area, with the exception of Fox's (which has nice new paint but some seriously dodgy looking clientale), but maybe I've been doing it a disservice because it looks scruffy??
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Well if no-one goes in a pub because it is too empty how will things change? There are certain advantages in that you get served more quickly, more choice of seats and less background noise.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

natbeuk wrote:And Gaz - I'm REALLY surprised that you say the Windmill is good cos it looks awful from the outside!!!! I find it the most initimidating looking pub in the area, with the exception of Fox's (which has nice new paint but some seriously dodgy looking clientale), but maybe I've been doing it a disservice because it looks scruffy??
Ha ha - appearences can be deceptive!

Seriously though, after walking past Fox's it is refreshing to actually be able to see through the windows into the Windmill. Whilst I can understand you think the outer appearence of the Windmill looks odd/shabby (esp with the metal shutter always half-open!), I've never once felt intimidated in there. It's big with tables & chairs, sofa-cubicles and a large bar. When I was last in there (with my ma who'd come to visit) on a Saturday night with a Lula tribute act, it felt more of a social club atmosphere than a pub/bar.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Thomas - I agree, totally, but the "cold" look of the place and the way the barstaff stare always really puts me off. Sad but true. One of these days I'll muster up the courage to go in there, and try to convince the boyfriend that it's a good idea!

And Gaz - it's always looked like an "old man's" pub, and I don't think I've seen anyone under about 60 coming out of there... am I doing it a disservice there too?? I've not lived in the area for that long so all this talk of local pubs is making me feel like I really need to get out and about :)
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

natbeuk wrote: And Gaz - it's always looked like an "old man's" pub, and I don't think I've seen anyone under about 60 coming out of there... am I doing it a disservice there too?? I've not lived in the area for that long so all this talk of local pubs is making me feel like I really need to get out and about :)
When I first moved here I thought the same to be honest (and I'm not regular enough in there to be conclusive so it may well be oldmanish on weeknights). However the last few times I have been in there on a Friday or Saturday night there has been a very mixed crowd (I'm talking about old couples, young couples, middle-aged couples, old men, old ladies, groups of lads, groups of lasses and groups of 20/30 somethings - I think I got all the demographics there!).

Guess it's just a matter of trying them out (do a pub crawl or summat!)... :D
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Hmmmmmmm.... well, not sure if I'm brave enough to try a Sydenham pub crawl (pub crawl yes, in Sydenham not so sure :lol: ) just yet but I think you have just about convinced me that I should ignore the graffiti and dodgy shutter and give it a go!
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I got the 7:55 that day too and I was definitely surprised at how many runners Sydenham seemed to be entering into the race. So come on then, what were your times?
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Took me an hour. That must mean I run 6.6 miles (10k) an hour.
Is that good?
Or a bit crap?
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

Isn't that faster than most cars go in London?

I'm interested to know what degree Annie's daughter has been studying for 4 years in the local pubs?!!!
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

An hour's a pretty good time when the course is crowded - well done. Just being able to run 10k without stopping marks you out as being one of the fitter members of the general public!

Have any Sydenhamites entered the Nike Human Race which is taking place in Wembley later in the year? We could organise STF training runs or run in aid of local charities.