kinleigh folkard & hayward

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
gillyjp

kinleigh folkard & hayward

Post by gillyjp »

Anyone have an update on the empty and boarded up retail unit opposite the Greyhound?

Looking at previous posts on this, KFH estate agents were seeking planning permission to do something with the windows. This was over a year ago. I know Lewisham Council are slow in their planning decisions but really?

Now the Greyhound is finally up and running, would be good to get this retail unit completed, whoever is going in there.
Ghlpc

Re: kinleigh folkard & hayward

Post by Ghlpc »

I know it's been said before on a few threads, but that is a huge unit, and would benefit to be split in two and make a couple of A3/A4 establishments (with some outside seating?)..

It would finish off that little pocket nicely and make that area a real destination..
JRW

Post by JRW »

In the meanwhile, if it is to be kept boarded up, is there any chance of getting it decorated with a temporary mural?
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

JRW wrote:In the meanwhile, if it is to be kept boarded up, is there any chance of getting it decorated with a temporary mural?
For clarification of hoardings I thought I’d contact “Global Street Art” who do an awful lot of stuff in London (and around the world) promoting spaces for artists to “reserve” to paint on (as well as other things). The lovely people there got back to me pretty sharpish and putting aside exceptions such as conservation areas etc. The people that OWN the hoardings are the people required to give permission, not the landowner, the potential rentee (KF&H) or other.

If someone was to find out the company that own the hoardings and agreed permission to either paint on it or if that didn’t appease them, have something painted then covered over with a similar grey just before they go down/get taken away, then I think that’s that and it’s a matter of getting someone to do something - I assume the same could be applied to Cobbs corner too...

Bit tied up with the project to spend more time on other stuff I’m afraid but happy to quickly find out things (like this), pass on info and contribute however I can.

Jon
TeresaR

Post by TeresaR »

Hi All

I emailed KFH management yesterday and received this reply.

"I can confirm that KFH will be fitting the unit out and trading from it and have no intention of disposing of it to another tenant"

I have replied asking what the timeline is on the fit out and opening. Will keep you posted.

I think my view would be shared by many in that we'd rather the site wasn't another estate agency, who tend to swallow up prime sites. However it would be better to see it utilised than boarded up.
parker

Post by parker »

TeresaR wrote:Hi All

I emailed KFH management yesterday and received this reply.

"I can confirm that KFH will be fitting the unit out and trading from it and have no intention of disposing of it to another tenant"

I have replied asking what the timeline is on the fit out and opening. Will keep you posted.

I think my view would be shared by many in that we'd rather the site wasn't another estate agency, who tend to swallow up prime sites. However it would be better to see it utilised than boarded up.
Such a waste of a good space, but better that than being a boarded up mess for years. Oh wait...
prince

Post by prince »

It appears that the fit out of the premises has started. There were workmen in there on Monday when I went past and health and safety signage has appeared on the hoardings. Can only assume it is KFH.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Yes after a good deal of chasing they said they would start after Easter ie in April. The agent has also been putting on pressure as the planning permission for the windows was over a year ago. The new unit is a shell so a large chunk of investment to fit out.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Chris Best wrote:Yes after a good deal of chasing they said they would start after Easter ie in April. The agent has also been putting on pressure as the planning permission for the windows was over a year ago. The new unit is a shell so a large chunk of investment to fit out.
Good news things are finally on the move. Thanks Chris
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Not that I have any use for it or go over the bridge too regularly but every time I do I wonder what’s happening with this. Obviously it looks a lot better than the grey chipboard hoardings but it would look even better/functionally bring people work etc if it was open!

Last thing I heard - straight from councillors or Sydenham Society at a meeting unless I’m very much mistaken (possible!) was that if they didn’t “move in” within a set time (at the time it was a few months I seem to remember) then action was going to be taken for it to somehow be offered back on the market to another business to occupy.

Obviously this hasn’t happened and maybe KFH got past this by “moving in” but not opening?!.. either way it’s been well over 6 months since the discussion around the hoardings/KFH and probably a good year or more since they officially said to be the ones to take over the property (my phone doesn’t let me scroll back to the previous posts/dates whilst writing this so apologies for the vague rough dates!)
prince

Post by prince »

JMLF wrote: 15 Jan 2019 08:36 Not that I have any use for it or go over the bridge too regularly but every time I do I wonder what’s happening with this. Obviously it looks a lot better than the grey chipboard hoardings but it would look even better/functionally bring people work etc if it was open!

Last thing I heard - straight from councillors or Sydenham Society at a meeting unless I’m very much mistaken (possible!) was that if they didn’t “move in” within a set time (at the time it was a few months I seem to remember) then action was going to be taken for it to somehow be offered back on the market to another business to occupy.

Obviously this hasn’t happened and maybe KFH got past this by “moving in” but not opening?!.. either way it’s been well over 6 months since the discussion around the hoardings/KFH and probably a good year or more since they officially said to be the ones to take over the property (my phone doesn’t let me scroll back to the previous posts/dates whilst writing this so apologies for the vague rough dates!)
I would be surprised if they don’t open up in this locality for they have fitted the unit it out. It does seem odd though that they haven’t moved in yet though, considering they have done the fit out.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Does anyone know what the average turnover per month of house buying and selling is now versus say a year ago? Maybe if there's been a marked downturn then it could be cheaper to keep the shop empty (empty rate status and no overheads). Maybe KFH hoped that government housebuilding and new homes aspiration would come about...

Arguably, if expecting it to be a performing asset it would have been open months ago.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I've been wondering that as well ...

But I think I may start a separate thread on the current property market in Sydenham.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Is there any more progress (?) on this? I've noticed recent boards still have what appears to be the Beckenham office number on them.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

I had a chat to KFH about an opening date and the response was they are waiting on Brexit as they needed some certainty on house prices.

I asked if they would think about the use of the space by a pop up - particularly with the Sydenham Artists Trail - but received a negative. I will continue to keep in touch but understand they are paying the rent.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Has anything happened on this? I've seen a couple of their boards around, but haven't been close enough to see what the phone number is.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Actually, the ones I've seen have all had Beckenham phone numbers on them, so I guess that answers my question.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

I dont think KFH ever had any intention of moving in, they are just using it as a rather convenient (for them) advertising space.

We think that The Greyhound should put a few more tables round that side to maximise their income. As long as they are kept close to the pub's windows it shouldn't encroach on the pathway.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

I totally agree KFH have no intention of moving in soon
Great plan for the Greyhound to be able to increase their number of tables, fingers crossed they take up your suggestion
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Saw some workmen in their today. New desks have also arrived. Finally must be opening.