Poundstretcher in old co-op site

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Fazman

Poundstretcher in old co-op site

Post by Fazman »

Possibly old news, but disappointing to find that poundstretcher are coming into the old co-op site.

There are enough shops on the high street that cater to this market and doesn't do much for improving the lower end of the high Street, Imo.

Guess a shop filled is better than none! But would be great to see the improvements at the top of high Street start filtering down - guess patience is order of day!!
Newtosydenham

Re: Poundstretcher in old co-op site

Post by Newtosydenham »

I am very disappointed too but have been hoping there was no truth in the rumours. Has it been confirmed that it’s Poundstretcher?
Thanks
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Poundstretcher advertising for Trainee Manger [sic] Sydenham.

Can be viewed here

https://uk.jobrapido.com/jobpreview/432 ... omley)&p=1

Let us hope one of our local bright candidates can secure a good job as a manager.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Newtosydenham wrote:I am very disappointed too but have been hoping there was no truth in the rumours.
Why are you disappointed that Poundstretcher may bring back to life a unit that presumably no one else wants? Surely an occupied shop is better than a non-occupied for all concened?

Stuart
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

Dalston High Street – not so dissimilar in demographics, structure, age and transport connections – recently got a Marks & Spencers foodhall.

We all know that any major chain will forensically research a potential neighbourhood for potential return on investment.

So why them, and not us?

Partly, I’m suspect, because of the significant increase in high quality flats and houses that have appeared in Dalston. New housing - more residents - more money to spend - a big green light to potential investors such as M&S or John Lewis.

Whereas a community that repeatedly says No to new housing, mires changes to the streetscape in quicksand (see: the Nandos shopfront), and generally makes it hard to regenerate the areas is a warning sign not to waste the money…
In short: new shops and new housing go hand in hand.
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

It doesn't actually say where in Sydenham it will be on that advert (neither did the previous advert from what I can tell). However, I struggle to see where else it would be unless its in a much smaller unit somewhere else (there are plenty of empty shops) or at Bell Green where Toys R Us was.
Fazman

Post by Fazman »

I certainly embrace a community where everyone is catered for and that is why poundstretcher is not ideal. Cheap products are very much available on the high street already and these shops will be affected.

Whether people like it or not, there is a changing demographic and it is acceptable and not snobbery, which is easily levelled at people, to hope the high street caters for everyone - including those of us that might like paying a premium. I ve moved to Sydenham recently and have no desire for it to be the next lordship lane. But I am up for regeneration and it being a vibrant high street with a good mix of independent stores. I don't think poundstretcher will particularly help deliver this.

Although, I agree that it is a good thing that it creates jobs .
Andyb

Post by Andyb »

Does anyone know if it’s defantly old coop site or Bell green? Not sure Sydenham really needs more cheap stuff and there range of fresh foods is now we’re near good enough .they might have a good range of dry goods but without a fresh range or bws, cigs or even fresh bread it will be worse than budgens
syd

Post by syd »

TredownMan wrote:Dalston High Street – not so dissimilar in demographics, structure, age and transport connections – recently got a Marks & Spencers foodhall.

We all know that any major chain will forensically research a potential neighbourhood for potential return on investment.

So why them, and not us?

Partly, I’m suspect, because of the significant increase in high quality flats and houses that have appeared in Dalston. New housing - more residents - more money to spend - a big green light to potential investors such as M&S or John Lewis.

Whereas a community that repeatedly says No to new housing, mires changes to the streetscape in quicksand (see: the Nandos shopfront), and generally makes it hard to regenerate the areas is a warning sign not to waste the money…
In short: new shops and new housing go hand in hand.
They probably know any investment will go to Lewisham, Deptford, forest hill, brocklley and Catford. Sydenham is the backside of Lewisham and it’s the only place in London that I know of that hasn’t changed in the almost 20 years I’ve lived here. It’s a **** disgrace
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

"Dalston High Street – not so dissimilar in demographics, structure, age and transport connections – recently got a Marks & Spencers foodhall"

Oh come on, Dalston has been a trendy destination with loads of restaurants, clubs, music venues and art galleries, for over a decade. I don't think they even begin to compare.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I was told Iceland were in discussions/lined-up so no idea / maybe the poundstretcher is for another location?

Anything is better than an empty shop, especially one so large/having such an impact on the look and feel of the high street. Must be said “anything” isn’t entirely true for me but definitely anything offering something different/new:
Poundland offers something different to local shops re: range of products at low prices
Iceland are appearing to position themselves as one of the front runners for environmental changes (banning palm oil, eliminating plastic etc.)
Marks and Spencer/Waitrose as nothing of the like too close
Alternatives..

If I had the choice I wouldn’t be as keen on something like an Aldi (similar to Lidl), Sainsbury’s/Tesco’s (there is the large one at bell green plus locals of both very close so doubt this would be something anyway but again) etc.

Will see but hopefully something soon!
danmarwil

Post by danmarwil »

monkeyarms wrote:"Dalston High Street – not so dissimilar in demographics, structure, age and transport connections – recently got a Marks & Spencers foodhall"

Oh come on, Dalston has been a trendy destination with loads of restaurants, clubs, music venues and art galleries, for over a decade. I don't think they even begin to compare.
Agreed, I’m not one to talk Sydenham down but Dalston definitely has a lot more going on & their high street is a lot busier!
strobe_effect

Post by strobe_effect »

Is it possible that it could be where the Ring O Roses wedding dress shop used to be? I understand there was planning permission open up the space to include the old pub / working mans club that was there. I walked past earlier and there were fresh hoardings up and work looking like commencing
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

strobe_effect wrote:Is it possible that it could be where the Ring O Roses wedding dress shop used to be? I understand there was planning permission open up the space to include the old pub / working mans club that was there. I walked past earlier and there were fresh hoardings up and work looking like commencing
Assuming you mean the wedding dress shop that became Orange Blossoms, that is becoming a Nando's.

https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17141
butters

Post by butters »

I would prefer an Aldi to a Poundstretcher. At least then I could get a whole shop rather than literally buying tat which is what happens whenever I go into the pound shop in Penge! Plus, Lidl is always busy, the queues are huge despite the check out assistants throwing your food at you at neck breaking speed!
Andyb

Post by Andyb »

Went past old coop/budgens Sunday and noticed lights are finally off!! Not sure if because someone actual turned off or electric cut off as no one really cares about shop !! Come on owners sort out a good site !
conti16

Post by conti16 »

Newtosydenham wrote:I am very disappointed too but have been hoping there was no truth in the rumours. Has it been confirmed that it’s Poundstretcher?
Thanks
gosh I just read this and it's very disappointed indeed. feels like Sydenham is not in for a change. We don't need more crappy shop where virtually nothing useful can be bought from. A marks and sparks would be a dream
parker

Post by parker »

conti16 wrote:
Newtosydenham wrote:I am very disappointed too but have been hoping there was no truth in the rumours. Has it been confirmed that it’s Poundstretcher?
Thanks
gosh I just read this and it's very disappointed indeed. feels like Sydenham is not in for a change. We don't need more crappy shop where virtually nothing useful can be bought from. A marks and sparks would be a dream
Why are you disappointed? No where has anyone said it’s definitely going to be Poundstretcher.

Someone saw some job ads online a few months ago for a Poundstretcher in Sydenham. Nothing else has been confirmed from anything I’ve read on here. Let’s not pretend it is happening when we do not know for sure (yet).
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Andyb wrote:Went past old coop/budgens Sunday and noticed lights are finally off!! Not sure if because someone actual turned off or electric cut off as no one really cares about shop !!
I went past this afternoon and the lights were definitely on. Could see them even in the bright sunlight.But there was no one visible inside.
chris 1961

Post by chris 1961 »

Lights were off for a day or 2 - probably the bulbs went.
They must have replaced them as the lights are back on now - you can't waste enough electricity can you.....