Sainsbury's news

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRW

Sainsbury's news

Post by JRW »

Latest news from Sainsbury's, it is opening in-store branches of Specsavers, Sushi Gourmet and EE, as well as Argos. Construction work happening now.

Parker1970

Re: Sainsbury's news

Post by Parker1970 »

Your image is missing :)

I did a quick google and found Specsavers are indeed advertising for staff for the Sydenham Sainsbury store opening July
http://jobs.opticianonline.net/job/1401 ... -sydenham/

Pleased about that, I like specsavers and need my eyes retested :)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Should have gone to Woodfalls.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

leenewham wrote:Should have gone to Woodfalls.

Without wanting to seem like advertising, I go to specsavers as you can get 2 pairs for the price of 1, as mine are for reading/computers, I like to have a pair at home and a pair at work :)
JRW

Post by JRW »

I failed miserably yet again on the photo upload. I put it on Flickr, but couldn't work out how to upload to STF. Can someone please do an idiots Guide, assuming absolutely no IT skills, and store it on the site? I am sure that many people would find it useful!
JRW

Post by JRW »

stuart

Post by stuart »

I presume you meant this:

Simply put the image URL (usually ending in .jpg) between the image tags. The link you posted was to a page containing the image, not the image itself

HTH,
Stuart.
JRW

Post by JRW »

Thanks Stuart! The bit I can't figure out is how to get the image URL on Flickr, as I keep getting the page one. I am using it for the first time today. I must find a toddler to show me how.......
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

And the cafe has a new summer menu. I do like the sweet potato fries!!!
parker

Post by parker »

syd-gal wrote:And the cafe has a new summer menu. I do like the sweet potato fries!!!
Odd that to coincide with these new elements to fill space that they haven’t/aren’t planning on adding to/replacing the existing Cafe with a Starbucks like they already have inside lots of other supersized Sainsbury’s stores, especially as there isn’t one in the local high street.

It goes back to the whole local demographics thing, we just don’t seem to be on the coffee chain’s radar (yet!).
mikej

Post by mikej »

It goes back to the whole local demographics thing, we just don’t seem to be on the coffee chain’s radar (yet!).

Unlike Penge it seems (Costa).
Can't be long until that happens!
JRW

Post by JRW »

There is already a Costa at Bell Green, within the Next store. I don't give much for the store's life expectancy though.... A coffee chain at Bell Green is fine, but I would be appalled by one on the high street, when we have such brilliant independent coffee shops.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

parker wrote:
syd-gal wrote: It goes back to the whole local demographics thing, we just don’t seem to be on the coffee chain’s radar (yet!).
Thank goodness!

Great coffee can be had at a number of places in the high street and suroundings like Sugahill, On The Hoof etc.

I dislike coffee chains (I've worked with Starbucks). Independents I have a lot of time for.
parker

Post by parker »

leenewham wrote:
parker wrote:
syd-gal wrote: It goes back to the whole local demographics thing, we just don’t seem to be on the coffee chain’s radar (yet!).
Thank goodness!

Great coffee can be had at a number of places in the high street and suroundings like Sugahill, On The Hoof etc.

I dislike coffee chains (I've worked with Starbucks). Independents I have a lot of time for.
I don’t particularly have much time for them neither but having them would:
1) Not really effect me, the independents are good enough I can go elsewhere
2) Starbucks etc (like Nando’s) would make Sydenham look like a zone 3 town in London like all the others instead of somewhere in the 3rd world
parker

Post by parker »

decchips wrote:Somewhere in the third world? Do you want to elaborate on that.
This is precisely the sort of thing I mean, and this state goes further than just Larkbere Road
Hissing Syd wrote:In the absence of any further news or hope on this, I've decided to share a few pictures taken over the course of the last year. If a picture paints a thousand words... then perhaps these can help highlight the persistent fly-tipping and bad behaviour that blights the end of Larkbere Road. The state of our street sign, used as a drinks holder, says it all.

At a time when Council Tax has just gone up, and the public are having to face more restrictions than ever on refuse etc, why is such flagrant negligence allowed to go unchecked? It doesn't send out a great message, seemingly saying: do as you like, no one cares, or is going to stop us.

Or if the pavement really is a free for all, doubling as a tyre showroom and a parking space for private cars, can I put up a couple of wallpaper tables down there and sell baked goods? Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way, and should embrace the opportunity?

Joking aside, as ever, any help would be greatly appreciated, be it from SydSoc, the Council, or the Avengers - many thanks.

parker

Post by parker »

decchips wrote:Starbucks would clear that up as well as selling coffee would they? In that case the sooner they arrive to save us all the better.
Nice try! My point is that if certain aspects of SE26 didn’t epitomise a disaster zone there might be more aspirational retailers opening (i.e. inside Sainsbury’s Sydenham too). It has been said on here before Caffè Nero wouldn’t touch the high street having paid a visit to the area.

I’d like to know how well Costa in Next trades or if they’re still there due to the lease conditions, because if they can trade well in SE26 is it the above that is preventing them from expanding in the high street in their usual aggressive way.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Parker1970 wrote:Without wanting to seem like advertising, I go to specsavers as you can get 2 pairs for the price of 1, as mine are for reading/computers, I like to have a pair at home and a pair at work :)
Good luck with that. Have you ever read the small print on that 2-for-1 offer? I'm amazed they're allowed to get away with it. I mean, wouldn't you think that if you bought one pair you'd be entitled to an identical pair for nothing? Hah!
syd

Post by syd »

parker wrote:
decchips wrote:Somewhere in the third world? Do you want to elaborate on that.
This is precisely the sort of thing I mean, and this state goes further than just Larkbere Road
Hissing Syd wrote:In the absence of any further news or hope on this, I've decided to share a few pictures taken over the course of the last year. If a picture paints a thousand words... then perhaps these can help highlight the persistent fly-tipping and bad behaviour that blights the end of Larkbere Road. The state of our street sign, used as a drinks holder, says it all.

At a time when Council Tax has just gone up, and the public are having to face more restrictions than ever on refuse etc, why is such flagrant negligence allowed to go unchecked? It doesn't send out a great message, seemingly saying: do as you like, no one cares, or is going to stop us.

Or if the pavement really is a free for all, doubling as a tyre showroom and a parking space for private cars, can I put up a couple of wallpaper tables down there and sell baked goods? Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way, and should embrace the opportunity?

Joking aside, as ever, any help would be greatly appreciated, be it from SydSoc, the Council, or the Avengers - many thanks.

Holy hell thats outrageous!! Sydenham is Lewisham councils dumping ground I swear it’s worse that it was when I moved here and it’s the only place I know in London which has regressed. I really dislike the council and the councillors they are lazy and maybe worse considering the monstrosity is still unchanged. Something stinks in Lewisham.