More Trees for Sydenham High Street - can you help?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
poppy

More Trees for Sydenham High Street - can you help?

Post by poppy »

Hello

I am trying to get more trees for the high street.

Myself and Street Trees for Living (the charitable organisaton which helps Lewisham Council organise and fund more street trees for the borough) have identified about 20 sites for one or two trees between Cobbs Corner roundabout and the Golden Lion pub. (I know we could do with more elsewhere but thought this was a good starting point).

Unfortunately, time is tight to make applications - the deadline is the end of June!

I am going to try and get a leaflet printed this week to distribute to businesses.

I have a list of possible tree locations and the businesses close to or opposite each site as they might be more inclined to fund one close to/or that can be seen from their business.

I could really do with some help next week distributing the leaflets and explaining the benefits of the scheme.

Please message me if you can help. :D
Last edited by poppy on 14 Jun 2018 11:52, edited 2 times in total.
JRW

Re: More Trees for Sydenham High Street - help needed!

Post by JRW »

I'm up for that. Just let me know what / when.
poppy

Re: More Trees for Sydenham High Street - help needed!

Post by poppy »

That's great JRW! :D

I have PM'd you.

Anyone else interested?

There are so many benefits - trees help with:
* controlling pollution levels
* cutting traffic speed
* supporting wildlife
* and can have a big positive psychological impact!
JRW

Re: More Trees for Sydenham High Street - can you help?

Post by JRW »

....... shade in hot weather........

How much needs to be raised for each tree? I seen to remember, the plan for the street upgrade was to have more trees, but it proved difficult to find appropriate sites in time. Don't they 'owe' us some trees from that budget?
poppy

Post by poppy »

I asked why there were not more trees at the time and was told it was not possible. But Street Trees for Living are experts in this area. We have walked up and down the high street looking at possible sites and they have used a metre to see if any cabling would be compromised. We found about 20 locations where this wouldn't be the case.

The lack of greenery on Sydenham high street is so depressing and it is so polluted - with standing traffic much of the day.

Compare Lordship Lane and Sydenham Road for trees and the contrast is shocking. There are about 30 trees or more along the same distance I am campaigning for! It is so green in the summer...

The roundabout at Cobbs Corner is also a missed opportunity for great planting as is the flower bed at the top of Trewsbury Road!

There is fantastic low maintenance planting around the Gypsy Hill (Southwark) roundabout, and stunning planting schemes in new housing developments around Greenwich and Woolwich - it can have such a transformative affect.
Last edited by poppy on 12 Jun 2018 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Each tree costs £295 (which includes a protective cage).

People can contribute the full amount or part of it.

We also need people to volunteer to water them while they are young. This would be about once a week I think.

You can commit to do both or either. :)
Pally

Post by Pally »

I've wondered about "guerilla planting" (is that the right phrase??) the Trewsbury road bed but then someone old me the council would pull it up if planting "unofficial" ...so I didn't bother!
poppy

Post by poppy »

Yes, I've considered this too. But to get some decent plants in there would need a couple of hundred pounds at least - crowd funding?
Anyone done this, might help with the trees too?
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

This is an awesome idea! More trees would make the high street so much better! Unfortunately I don't have time next week for leafleting but I'll be keeping an eye out for other opportunities to get involved!! Crowd funding is a brilliant idea!
Pally

Post by Pally »

I'm not sure it needs £200. Does anyone know if it is true that the plants would be pulled up if "unofficial"?
JRW

Post by JRW »

I am sure we can get it approved. We don't want to spend much money on the plants, loads of people have plants they can donate. I am growing a lot of lavender cuttings and pinks, for example, that I could donate.

What we need is to go for tough, long term planting, that won't need a lot of fussing over. Regular planting with bedding plants takes a huge amount of hassle and money. Lavender plants fit the bill, and the council has already planted some with the trees planted in tubs.
JRW

Post by JRW »

I am sure we can get it approved. We don't need to spend much money on the plants, loads of people have plants they can donate. I am growing a lot of lavender cuttings and pinks, for example, that I could donate.

What we need is to go for tough, long term planting, that won't need a lot of fussing over. Regular planting with bedding plants takes a huge amount of hassle and money. Lavender plants fit the bill, and the council has already planted some with the trees planted in tubs.
RJM

Post by RJM »

What sort of trees? I wouldn't like to have plane trees on the high street, they're really bad for a lot hay fever sufferers. Definitely in favour of other trees though!
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

any trees approved would need a long term plan for maintenance, not just who pays to install, and who waters them once a week in the summer for the first two or three years.
What happens in 20 years when they're getting too big, and need pruning, or care to avoid limbs falling on pedestrians, or vehicles?
Also the when the roots encroach upon underground services and/or building foundations?
tree roots are generally in the top 60cm of soil, and with a diameter up to twice as much as the tree height!

the wrong species can become quite problematic in the wrong place.

but having said all that, I'm in agreement that we should push for more trees where possible.
They filter the air of pollution, they have a positive affect on general wellbeing of those living within view of them, they help alleviate flash flooding, they look nice, they increase land values, they provide valuable wildlife habitat. and lots of other incidental benefits beside.
juliam2016

Post by juliam2016 »

Can we have more trees up Kirkdale near the Woodman? Sorry for being a reverse NIMBY but we are tree starved up here. I work full time so can only offer weekend/evenings but happy to help if It's any use.

Julia M
Pally

Post by Pally »

Trees would be nice but wont the rots mess up the pavements?
poppy

Post by poppy »

Street Trees for Living are experts (and i've heard this elsewhere) that apparently if you water trees regularly the roots grow down not out.

There is no time to do a survey of Kirkdale now but we could do it for next year once this is out of the way...

I am collecting the leaflets today.

Any one want to help me distribute over the next few days? Please message me if you can....
poppy

Post by poppy »

Lewisham council plant the trees, we just find the money!

We water them - preferably people who have businesses nearby!
poppy

Post by poppy »

Street Trees for Living have recommended Pyrus 'Chanticleer' - the same ornamental pear that is growing well in Oxford Street. It has white blossom in spring and leaves which turn yellow/red in autumn and remain on the tree until Christmas.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Regarding Knighton Park Road flower bed: I agree bedding plants would be totally unsuitable we need something low maintenance (just a bit of tidying a couple of times a year, so some ground cover plants to stop weeds) but eye catching - which has seasonal interest.

grasses
alchemilla mollis (Lady's mantle)
verbena bonariensis
geraniums - herbacious, not pelargoniums

with a cohesive colour palette - not a hotch potch ideally.