Obstruction of Knighton Park Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
John H

Obstruction of Knighton Park Road

Post by John H »

SO! The development nobody wanted is going ahead and despite the obligations placed on the developer, in the planning consent, they block the road most days from morning to night.

After I spoke to one of the workmen the parking bays opposite have been suspended BUT the workmen park their vehicles in the suspended bays all day meaning the delivery lorries still block the road.

There have been a few major arguments with situations approaching fisticuffs.

I spoke to planning who disclaimed all responsibility and said it is a matter for highways. Highways? The restrictions were placed by Planning. Which Highways? TFL? They are not responsible for side roads. Lewisham? How would you find them. Everything has been relegated to a call centre somewhere in the North of England.... Services appear to have been cancelled.

How about contacting a local councillor? Yes. You've got it. "I am only a councillor" and it is true. All power resides in the hands of one man in Lewisham. Whatever your politics you have to see how this one party state does not remotely resemble a democracy.
JRobinson

Re: Obstruction of Knighton Park Road

Post by JRobinson »

Licencing, and/or Parking. They'll have had to get permission for what they're doing, and parking bay suspensions too, so if they not abiding by the rules for those they can be fined.
KPR

Post by KPR »

I saw a blazing row between a driver and one of the builders the other day. In some ways though I have sympathy with the builders - there isn’t any space on the side of the road they need to unload from anyway, so suspending the parking bays on the other side makes no difference. Added to which, many of the people being obstructed are using KPR as a rat run between Kent House Road and Sydenham Road. They can go back the other way and line up at the lights.
John H

Post by John H »

JRobinson wrote:Licencing, and/or Parking. They'll have had to get permission for what they're doing, and parking bay suspensions too, so if they not abiding by the rules for those they can be fined.
The permission places on obligation on them NOT to obstruct the road. It is all part of the planning consent. They were required to produce a plan that meant they did not cause the obstruction. Given the bays are (now) suspended then they should not be parking in them. Then there would be no obstruction.
John H

Post by John H »

KPR wrote:I saw a blazing row between a driver and one of the builders the other day. In some ways though I have sympathy with the builders - there isn’t any space on the side of the road they need to unload from anyway, so suspending the parking bays on the other side makes no difference. Added to which, many of the people being obstructed are using KPR as a rat run between Kent House Road and Sydenham Road. They can go back the other way and line up at the lights.

Do not waste your sympathy. The builders were required to produce a plan on how they prevented such obstruction. They did so and promptly ignored it.
JRW

Post by JRW »

This morning, I realised that the public can register complaints with the Considerate Contractor scheme, if they display a sign saying they are signed up to it. Causing a nuisance to neighbours is absolutely key to them; it was set up to improve the image of contractors and development, and they enforce compliance on members to avoid bad publicity for the industry.

Their number is 0800 783 1423. If the Knighton park road crew are signed up, then this should help.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

The other issue here is that the waste lorries can't get down from the high st and don't seem to want to reverse all the way down from the Hillmore Gv end - thus the flats at the end of the road never have their bins collected - it looks pretty filthy
John H

Post by John H »

Sydenham Syd wrote:The other issue here is that the waste lorries can't get down from the high st and don't seem to want to reverse all the way down from the Hillmore Gv end - thus the flats at the end of the road never have their bins collected - it looks pretty filthy
Park House has its bins collected separately. It is a commercial arrangement... or so I understand.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

John H wrote:
Sydenham Syd wrote:The other issue here is that the waste lorries can't get down from the high st and don't seem to want to reverse all the way down from the Hillmore Gv end - thus the flats at the end of the road never have their bins collected - it looks pretty filthy
Park House has its bins collected separately. It is a commercial arrangement... or so I understand.
Really? Once in a blue moon by the looks of it...those bins are always stuffed full
John H

Post by John H »

Sydenham Syd wrote:
John H wrote:
Really? Once in a blue moon by the looks of it...those bins are always stuffed full
On that we can only agree. The place is a disgrace to KPR and knocks a hefty amount off the value of every house.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Do you know who is responsible? Is the block owned by Hexagon?
I've had a brief look on the interweb and can't find any clues - I think a strong letter needs to be written as it seems there either aren't enough bins or there are simply not enough collections....but it's pretty foul
PackOfDusters

Post by PackOfDusters »

Agreed. The waste bins were emptied this week, so I think the issue is that the recycling bins are now stuffed full of non-recyclables, and so won't be collected.

The bins have always been a problem for that building - even more so since an extra storey was added last year. I thought that the planning application had included provision for additional bins, and a bin storage area was indeed built, but the fact is that there just aren't enough bins for all of those flats. I don't think the flats have anything to do with Hexagon actually - the planning application was submitted by Strand Construction, Westerham.
John H

Post by John H »

Sydenham Syd wrote:Do you know who is responsible? Is the block owned by Hexagon?
I've had a brief look on the interweb and can't find any clues - I think a strong letter needs to be written as it seems there either aren't enough bins or there are simply not enough collections....but it's pretty foul
The block does not belong to Hexagon. It was leased to them for a while but it appears it reverted to its original owner i.e. the chap who used to own the garage. I understand he is the uncle of the very decent fellow who owns Knighton Motors. Anyone wishing to follow this up can obtain the necessary details from the land registry.
KPR

Post by KPR »

The owner swore blind that he was going to sort the bin problem when it reverted to private tenants (as opposed to social housing). This was of course complete nonsense. No doubt the new building opposite will have the same issues - which was part of the objections to it, along with lack of parking in the street for the additional cars it will bring. Objecting to the owner will do no good - the council needs to serve him with an enforcement notice which will then hopefully get more bins and/or someone paid to sort it all out (aka a caretaker which is what a building of that size needs).

Also on my wish list for KPR:

- residents parking permits (which would sort the parking issues - a lot of the problem is driven by Hexagon employees and others who only park here weekday daytimes)

- block off the side turnings (a little way down so that people can turn round). This would put an end to arseholes who think doing 40-50 mph down a side road with music blaring is socially acceptable. They can queue at the lights like everyone else.
John H

Post by John H »

Residents permits are a definite NO. Blocking the entrance from Sydenham Road would obviate the need, in any event. All permits do is give the excuse to the Local Authority to rip us off yet further.

I would suggest the road should be blocked at the end of Park House with that short section of road reserved for pay and display parking. Then about fifteen feet of double red lines either side to enable space for turning. Maybe a gated entrance for emergency vehicles. HOWEVER something would then need to be done about Hillmore Grove. No parking between Broseley Grove and Kent House Road. The latter is wide enough to enable provision to be make for ample parking.

Of course a link road to Trewsbury Road would be useful.
KPR

Post by KPR »

I don’t mind where the rat run is blocked off, and your idea makes sense in terms of allowing some space for shoppers to park. However, I doubt that just doing that would deter the Hexagon people and others - they park in KPR all day so they don’t care about being able to get out into Sydenham Road. They would come in from Kent House Road and leave the same way. Hexagon people particularly annoy me because they have a car park which is underused. I would personally be more than happy to pay for a permit to avoid the numerous occasions when I’m forced to park at the other end of the street and then drag a ton of bags, etc down to the other end. I know that previous attempts to introduce it have met with resistance though.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

I have to say I rarely have to park too far away from my house, but then again I am at work during the day, so I guess as my car is already there, I have a space so to speak - if I am there during the day and go out, I am often looking for a different space no doubt.

The permit situation is a tough one: personally I would be looking at it as an option, and make it designated, as then we could have electric car points put in if required and designated per house, in the same way as disabled bays for example. Might be a bit extreme, but surely it will come in the near future as the future is electric for sure.

I do like the idea of the 2/4 hour window parking restriction, which stops people parking for the whole day - so between 8-10 and 2-4 the place is patrolled for non-residents cars. With the new build going up at the end of the street, there is going to be even more need for space I guess.

I don't think there is a perfect solution tbh, but as long as it protects residents, or that is the intention, then I'm open to all options.
John H

Post by John H »

The idea of a morning parking limitation is a good one BUT for those whose cars remain parked overnight and into the day it poses a problem. One free parking permit per house would resolve most of the problems then.