I love our High Street

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Wispy Wonder

I love our High Street

Post by Wispy Wonder »

I'm fairly new to Sydenham and have read with interest the various comments critising the state of the High St. To be honest, I don't think some people realise what we've got here. Its great - lots of independent traders and friendly shop keepers, few boring clone stores, and few empty shops.

My partner and I avoid supermarkets yet we can do a whole weeks shop in Sydenham without resorting to the Savacentre, or even Somerfields, for anything. It works out cheap too. In fact, even our last holiday was booked in the High St. (Although the travel agents has now closed, sadly).

OK, its a bit scruffy, most of the pubs are awful, and there are a few things the High St hasn't got, but on the whole, I think we're lucky. If you want a good comparison, try shopping at Crystal Palace. (And no, I'm not being rude about CP but its pants for shopping unless you go to Morrisons).
PJWSON

Post by PJWSON »

Hi there, I totally agree with you. I moved to Sydenham just over 1 year ago with my partner, and have found that you do have everything on your doorstep including some great neighbours.
I recently became a vegetarian and have found that i do not need to use the larger supermarkets and totally support the smaller local shops in the high street. Some people may say it's more expensive to shop that way but i ham saving a fortune. :P

It'sgreat to hear someone being so positive about the place taht they libe

Bring it on
Regards
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Welcome to Sydenham, Wispy. Long may you stay and appreciate its finer points! Sydenham residents need to be reminded that Sydenham, as an inner London suburb, has many things going for it.

We have had over two years of continuous roadworks and there are threats of more to come so I think many people have become tired of a messy dirty high street and having little control what happens within our community.

In about two months time Lewisham will be changing parking in the high street to a consistent 7am-7 pm. This will be a boost to local retail trade adding many more hours of short stay parking in the high street and getting rid of the shock and anger of being ticketed because you hadn't realised the bay you had parked in had a time limit of 10 am - 4 pm and you also hadn't noticed the parking bay attendant hovering. Some of the sign posts will be removed in an attempt to get rid of some of our pavement clutter.

This change has come about after a long campaign by Sydenham Traders and Sydenham Society, supported by local councillors, who themselves have been ticketed - parking attendants dont discriminate.

We anticipate other improvements to our high street over the next few years but discussions about these will be held with the community later on in the year. Mysterious? Yes, maybe. but with a web-site like this (another Sydenham bonus) and the Sydenham Society ( have you joined yet - www.sydenhamsociety.com?) local residents can keep up to date with what is going on in their community.

PS I got so excited about your reply I posted mine on Town Hall in error - no doubt admin will tidy matters up for me. Thanks, Stuart!
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Welcome Wispy Wonder
I have lived in Sydenham for almost three years and love it. Sad about the travel agents closing on the High Street though but all is not lost. Kirkdale has a travel agents with two really friendly chaps running the place. We booked our holiday last year with them and cannot find fault with their service, try them, I'm sure you will be pleased. Tony took the time to find me a better priced holiday than I could on the internet, so that's got to be a bonus.
Sandra :D :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pat Trembath wrote:PS I got so excited about your reply I posted mine on Town Hall in error - no doubt admin will tidy matters up for me. Thanks, Stuart!
Done. But don't forget everyone can edit - or delete their own posts if you make a boo-boo. Log in and you should see a little edit button on your own posts - and an 'X' button which will delete it.

And can I also welcome Wispy. The problem is that in wanting to always improve Sydenham both the Sydenham Society and even the independent Sydenham Town website often highlights the less savoury side. We do need reminding why we chose to live here!

BTW anybody hear our very own Jim Dowd MP talking on Radio 4 PM tonight on the threat of competition to the small high street shops from Tesco, Sainsbury & Asda?
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I agree – Sydenham High Street isn’t the prettiest high street going, but we should be pleased with the array of shops – most basic shopping requirements can be met well and cheaply on the High Street.

Sydenham DIY, Kirkdale Books, Whites Pet Shop, the Health Food shop, the various Persian/Turkish shops and the fruit shop/grocers to name but a few of the great shops.

Crystal Palace is great for a cappuccino and browse on the weekends, a drink or a meal, but almost all the good practical shops have gone.

Oh and Crystal Palace doesn’t even have a supermarket at the moment, as Morrison’s has closed! At least we have Somerfield.